PDA

View Full Version : clutch questions!

mx Eli
07-01-2011, 09:06 AM
I need a new clutch basket and was wondering If you can use stock plates (fibers and steels) with a barrnet or hinson basket? and which would you perfer, hinson or barrnet?

thanks for your time

eastside 400
07-01-2011, 09:53 AM
yes you can use all the stock components in the aftermarket baskets, the hinsons are good, the wiseco's are really good too, they are actually stronger since they are forged and not billet. Rekluse has some really nice stuff too

mx Eli
07-01-2011, 12:03 PM
I think I might go with wiesco, I'v heard good things about them too,

when putting the outer basket on is there bolts or somthing to attatch the back gear to the basket?

thanks

desratt
07-01-2011, 05:05 PM
they usually give instructions.. you grind off the old gear and use provided bolts to bolt it to the new basket and be sure to lock tight torque and "peen the bolts" so they do not back out on you, I prefer the hinson aluminum one they do sell steel baskets but I like the lighter rotational mass.

mx Eli
07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
What exactly is "peening" the bolts? sorry I'm kind of a noob with clutchs

desratt
07-04-2011, 07:30 PM
the bolt goes all the way through the basket then sticks out the inside a very small amount you just kind of mess up the end of it so it won't back out on ya.

desratt
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
hinson has both steel and billet aluminum.

the aluminum will actually outlast a stocker cause it is billet and not cast and it is akadized . the thing is if you are hard on clutches then you are hard on clutches. the benefit of alluminum is it is lighter.