PDA

View Full Version : best cams?

woodsracer144
06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
who makes the best cam for a 400? for right now its a 426... I just found this out cause i went and got a new std bore piston and it was too small check it with my caliper and it came out to be a 88 mm... so the guy i got it from didnt know what he was selling... thought it was a stock bore...

web or hot cams?

its gonna be piped a FCR on it the whole nine yards...

I'm gonna be making a hybred with the motor in a cannondale chassis cause its alum and i got the frame for free from a friend.

can i run 91 in a 11-1 piston?

AtvKid4Eva
06-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Ive always seen great performance from a stage 2 Hot cam with a mildly built 400 motor..The web cams are more aggressive and usually are used it more high horsepower builds.

Also i would never put a 400ex motor in a cannondale frame...just build the bike in the 400 frame. The 400ex geometry performs well and is very customizable.

woodsracer144
06-30-2011, 01:34 PM
not to be a dink but i got the frame for FREE... friend was huge in them ran 3 motos and he parted them all cause he got in to karting. he asked if i want it and i said sure, I can make use of it.

I have had this 400 motor on the shelf for a year now waiting on a frame for it. I also have all the parts ( a-arms plastic ect.) to get the quad rolling. I went and picked up a stock piston and it was too small and now after looking at the cylind some more i notice the guy screwed me on it cause its cracked on the bottom... :mad:

so now im looking at a 440 top end kit on ebay or a 426.

I was going to build a yzf 426 motor for this chassis but I think this motor will fit well.

does pipe choice make much difference?

thanks

Peyton

CJM
06-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Stage 2 hotcam is what I would buy. Im not sure why but hotcams website doesnt list a stage 2 for the EX/XR400 anymore just a stage 1 and 3. But you can buy a cam on ebay, I know for a fact seller apex racing has them (jeffs a great guy might I add and will do you right!).

ish416
06-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm gonna be making a hybred with the motor in a cannondale chassis cause its alum and i got the frame for free from a friend.

Seems like a waste of a good frame sticking an EX engine in it.

A stock YZF426 will put out as much or more power than a fully built EX.

Guess I don't see your reasoning.

Hot Cams stage 2 or 3 for an EX cam.

426kidz
06-30-2011, 08:16 PM
you wanna sell that stock piston let me know! my buddy needs it... HMF pipe go with a 426 and a hotcam stage 2! 11.1 wiseco piston!

woodsracer144
06-30-2011, 10:09 PM
I'll sell it to ya for what I have in it... its like 87 bucks plus shipping...