PDA

View Full Version : question of shame

finsteratv
06-29-2011, 09:37 PM
looks like i may have cross threaded the fitting at the top of the oil tank..how smart :ermm: looked at it because i was already having a chitty day and noticed it was off center..took it off and some of my threads are f***** up. awesome. suggestions? im leaving tommorow evening for a 4 day riding trip and i hope im not screwed..thanks guys!

slightlybent47
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
You might take some Teflon tape and put it back together and see if it will hold up.
I believe the top is the return so there should be little if no presser so it may work.
It might just get you by until you can do a better fix.

Good luck!

finsteratv
06-29-2011, 09:46 PM
well the nut has to be tightened around the oil line in order to hold it down firmly against the oil tank fitting so im not sure about that :ermm: thanks for the suggestion! keep em coming!

400exc
06-30-2011, 05:05 AM
Depending on how bad the threads are screwed up, take a thread chaser and clean the threads up. But that would involve taking the tank back off and cleaning the tank out because you will probably get shavings in it.

finsteratv
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
i was able to tighten it pretty well but it still dripped some oil..we have some of this "rescue tape" for our logging equipment and i was able to wrap that around the top and its good as new :D now my problem is side cover drip..i ut in my sparks key and cleaned both sides before i put the gasket on! now i have a tiny little drip at the bottom..im not liking paper gaskets :chinese: help?

CJM
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Probably gouged the gasket slightly. Try tightening the bolts slightly all around, maybe its loose.

finsteratv
06-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Probably gouged the gasket slightly. Try tightening the bolts slightly all around, maybe its loose.
did that and looks to be better! with these mods done now it feels alot peppier instead of so boggy..i like it..haha. i have a slight pop in acceleration..i think my pilotcircuit is a bit rich..im at about 250ft right now 160 main 42 pilot stock FA with a full system and filter. lid is on also. sound about good?

CJM
06-30-2011, 04:43 PM
EDIT: I read it wrong, yes it sounds rich possibly. Id check your plug and perhaps turn the air/fuel screw in maybe to 2 turns or 1.75 turns and see what ya got.

Im leaving this below, its good info anyways.

Pilot is to lean if it pops when you decel. If its not to bad you can live with it (my 400 and my buddies 450 does it a bit and tons of hours later nothings happened) or you can try and play with the air/fuel screw. Turn it in fully and turn it out 2.5-2.75 turns and see if the pop goes away.

Other thing is an exhaust leak causing a lean condition. Start it up and put your hand over the exhaust (with a glove if its hot!) and cover the exhaust hole. You shouldnt hear any air escaping-if you do you got an exhaust leak that needs to be fixed.

finsteratv
06-30-2011, 05:00 PM
i fixed all the exhaust leaks and its solved :) BUT i went to tighten bolt like you said..one of the bottom mofo's decided to shear offback in my case... im not so sure about riding now..we're leaving tonight and coming back monday..great :mad:

CJM
06-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Thats not good. Id run it and see if it leaks, no leaks leave it alone for now. Leaks, well no riding for you.

mcwilly
07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Man, sounds like you have Murphy's law hanging out in your pocket just like I do. If it has threads, I can strip it.
One of the bolts sheared off in my case too when I put the Sparks key in. I bought the replacement bolt the same day but never got to install it.....2 years later, it's still in there...still broken.

HondaPohl
07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
chase those threads!

finsteratv
07-04-2011, 04:42 PM
alright guys imtaking itin to have the bolt drilled out tommorow at the honda shop..looks like im taking my gasket off also from the sparks key ti check that since it was leaking..ALSO NEED A NEW OIL TANK ANYONE GOT ONE FOR SALE??