PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler and tank

Speed37
06-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Is getting a oversized oil tank worth the $$$? i have read a few threads and seen different sides to yes and no. And the same thing for an oversized oil cooler

AtvKid4Eva
06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
For a stock 400ex I'd say its a waste of money. Never had any overheating problems with any of the stock 400s I've ridden. If your going to build the motor than the over sized oil tank with a SPAL fan would benefit you. If you really want to add something now search the spal fan install on here..people have been getting good results from using them.

DnB_racing
06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Speed37
Is getting a oversized oil tank worth the $$$? i have read a few threads and seen different sides to yes and no. And the same thing for an oversized oil cooler if your going to use the extra volume to give you the opportunity to not change your oil as often then NO!!

extra volume and cooling never hurts, but only if you keep the oil clean,

being that the EX doesnt have a split case like the 450, meaning separate oil for transmission and top end, then your oil gets contaminated very quickly,
and you really need to change often or your just running the clutch fibers and gear fragments into the bearings..

just change oil every few hours off use and you dont need the larger tank, if adding more oil means you cant afford to change oil as often then dont do it

Speed37
06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
well mhm. my bike isnt stock, but isnt pro gncc or mx level either. just slip on and some new rings and a piston. Anddd the motor is currently being rebuilt. Idk guys im debatin

08400ex'er
06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
I have a CFM oil tank and a larger setrab oil cooler that replaces the stock cooler. I also have a 10.6 JE piston and run 93.

On my oil temp dip stick after riding hard for quite awhile my temp read 195 max. My friend who has the same engine mods but without the oil cooling mods read 220. This was after and hour or more hard riding.

My dad who has a stock polaris Outlaw was riding with us and was getting a red temp light. (That's how hard we were riding.)