PDA

View Full Version : CR 500 shock tech questions

Burns310r
06-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I have decided to buy a new shock. Mostly because of the cost to rebuild a used one for my weight, and so that i have matching brands front and rear.

When i contacted custom axis, they said they could do several things.

Single Rate
Dual Rate (Short spring soft/Long spring hard)
Dual Rate (short spring hard/Long sring soft)

They said that the last option there might be good a good option for MX. I know that most shocks, the short spring is the softer one to take up the small stuff, then the crossover to the large heavy spring for the hard jumps.

I guess what do you guys think i need to do for a setup?

The quad will be a

Laeger Frame CR500 link
Gibson +3 LT arms 4+1 rims
Front Custom Axis Tripple Rate Dual Adjust
Rear Custom Axis????????

Id like to order this asap

Thanks

Burns

hontrx265r
06-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Go option 3, I think most of their cr500 links are setup that way. If you are riding mx on a regular basis ask about the plush ride. They will set you up a little softer throughout the ride, but you'll have the hydraulic effect at g out. I've only got a few rides on my shock since I added PRS, but it seems to be working really well so far.

Burns310r
06-29-2011, 03:25 PM
The PRS system looks really cool, but its also a $210 option.

This brings the rear shock price to $1185.

Very price shock.

Is the PRS really worth it?

hontrx265r
06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Well thats why I said if you ride mx often. I know that most people don't get to ride mx on a weekly basis. I only ride mx, and a little dunes and so far, like I said it is working very well. I was just talking with pinit about weather i was going to like my cr500 as much as my no link (because I had the no link dialed) and now that I have some seat time I'm favoring the cr setup.

Burns310r
06-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Well the bike is a dedicated MX bike. Thats all i do with it. Every other weekend at least, if not every weekend sometimes.

Like i said, is the PRS system worth it? What does it feel like?

Is your CR 500 setup with the main spring soft, second spring hard?

hontrx265r
06-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Mine is set like your option 3 with prs, but when I rebuilt mine I opted for prs but skipped the high/Lo comp. Went single comp only. I think that was a wise choice with where I spent the $.

Lasher
06-29-2011, 06:25 PM
I could not get the PRS upgrade on my CR500 shock. Not enough room for the shaft. The Walsh CRF does have the PRS.

Custom Axis said that the shock has such tight clearences that it could not be done. Now this is on a Walsh chassis with CR500 link. But the Walsh chassis with CRF linkage could have it.

No experience yet to see the difference (PRS or normal). Now I know the Laeger chassis with CR500 take a longer shock, so you might be able to get the upgrade.

hontrx265r
06-29-2011, 06:43 PM
My bike is a laeger with cr,but I don't see why you couldn't do it on any shock you just use a longer shaft so it will hydraulic, but limit it so there is not too much extended length.

Lasher
06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
My bike is a laeger with cr,but I don't see why you couldn't do it on any shock you just use a longer shaft so it will hydraulic, but limit it so there is not too much extended length.

Quick run down on my rear shock issues...which is on topic...

Brought the Walsh chassis CR 500 link with Custom Axis shocks.
Found the lower rear shock bolt was hitting the bottom of the swingarm when fully extended.
After talking with Walsh and Custom Axis, the shock extended length was too long. Shock was built for a Laeger chassis CR500 with is longer.
Sent shock to Custom Axis, they replaced the shock body but not the shaft, used bumpers.
I thought the guy at Custom Axis told me I needed a new shaft (not enough time/money before next race). So this winter I sent the shock back in to get a new shaft with PRS upgrade.
Custom Axis looked at the shock and could not fit the PRS shaft into the shock and still maintain the correct lengths.

And the Walsh CRF link chassis (pretty sure it is just linkage difference) does require a different length shock than the CR500 linkage.

Come to find out, Leager and Walsh chassis are really close to the same shock lengths but there is a difference.

Burns310r
06-30-2011, 07:30 AM
how long should a shock be fore a CR500 link narrow Laeger?

How much more travel is there than a standard link?

Burns310r
06-30-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm going to get a dual adjust with PRE.

But.....
Axis is telling me to go dual rate.
M A U L tech atv is telling me to go single rate.

What should I do?

Why wont this let me put in M A U L tech atv with out the spaces? Are they banned?

Lasher
06-30-2011, 11:56 AM
If you are getting custom axis shock, I would go dual rate. Go with what they tell you...they know their shocks

Dual rate to me means a lower ride height, since the first spring is lighter. I know there is a lot more than that. My shock is a dual rate rear and I love it.

Burns310r
06-30-2011, 01:11 PM
My concern is that they guy is just trying to sell me a shock. The logic of M A U L atv saying that i only need a single rate because of the linkage setup with the PRS.

Im not sure if Axis is just trying to get more money out of me. Im into the $900-1100 dollar range pending the dual rate or single rate.

hontrx265r
06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't think axis over sells their products they have always been straight with me. When I chose not to go dual compression adj. The start of that was per their recommendation

Burns310r
06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
I want compression and rebound adjust, i chose not to get the tripple adjust just for cost and complexity.

Burns310r
06-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Well i went with the Single rate and PRS system. I can always change it over to a dual rate if i want.

But the nice part is i can run a softer spring to get the sorft cushy endless ride, and when i land a hard jump the PRS will kick in and stop me from bottoming out.

If i feel like i need more, then i will convert to dual rate.

Build pics coming for the entire bike.

hontrx265r
06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
I think you made a good choice, that is what I was saying on the adj. My shock has comp/rebound just not.. dual comp. I don't think there will be a problem with the single rate either, I danced around between the two also. Andy is good with suspension though so you should be good. Have fun with the build!

dustin_j
06-30-2011, 02:30 PM
I think you will like what you get Kyle. Yes, Andy's last name is banned on this site for some reason.

I tend to agree with Andy on this topic. The benefit of a dual rate shock is a soft initial rate for more sag and plushness, with an increasing rate for bottoming resistance. Linkages are progressive, and actually do this better than a dual rate shock can do alone. Meaning, as the wheels go through their travel, the leverage ratio changes. Initially, as the wheel moves 1 inch, the shock shaft moves a smaller amount (we'll say 0.375 inch); As the wheel travel nears bottom out, the shock shaft moves a larger amount (more like 0.5 inch). This would mean that the linkage provides 33% progression across the range of wheel travel (1-0.5/0.375). This progression not only increases the force exerted by the spring, but also increases shock shaft speeds to increase compression damping.

Does anyone using a CR500 link know how progressive a CR500 link on a 250R is? Do most of your shocks cross out right before bottom out; like Kyle mentioned, won't the PRS system do this for him? I'm very interested if anyone would like to share some info on their setup and how having a dual rate setup helps. Maybe the CR500 link isn't progressive enough to provide bottoming resistance and desired ride height with a single rate spring?

hontrx265r
07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I have been out riding my laeger crf alot more, and dialing in the suspension. I thought I would comment sense we've been talking about spring setups. I'm running a dual rate spring, with prs cr500 link, The more I ride it, the more I dial out the dual rate.. In three rides I've probably moved the crossover a half inch closer to the main and it gets better and better. I'm considering trying the single rate, just need to figure out what spring is needed. Burns I think your on the right track listening to andy.

dustin_j
07-04-2011, 09:21 PM
hontrx265r,

Thank you for sharing; glad to hear you're getting things dialed in. That's a pretty significant change; do you think you're still crossing out? Do you know what your two spring rates are currently to get a guess at what single rate to try? Formula to figure initial spring rate of your dual spring setup is below if it helps:

Keq = 1 / (1/K1 + 1/K2)

Thanks again,
Dustin