PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! can't get rear rotor off! (PICS)

400exbigbore
06-29-2011, 12:05 PM
I got the to axle nuts off, and the clip that holds the axle in place, and I'm down to the point at which the service manual says "slide the rotor off". Ok, that's not working. As you can see from the pics I am looking at 3 different pieces here: the rotor, the rotor hub which is splined onto the axle (right?), and the threads that the axle nuts threaded onto. I'm assuming all of this is coming off so that i can get to the snap ring on the bearing carrier? Any tips on how to get the rotor and whatever else off? I've wedged some screwdrivers in there, pryed a little bit and I'm to the point where i'm about to hook it to my 8000 lb winch and let er rip.

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/estescr/2011-06-28_18-30-24_748.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/estescr/2011-06-28_18-30-38_72.jpg

fandl450r
06-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Looks like that is pretty rusted to be honest so it's not going to be easy to get it to come off. My suggestion would soak it in some penetrating oil (WD40, etc). But if that doesnt work you may have to use a torch to heat it up to break it free.

chronicsmoke
06-30-2011, 06:16 AM
yah an 8000lb winch sounds like a catastrophe in the making lol..

use finesse, not force when it comes to your bike.. a little extra work (WD-40/Heat) will save you money in the ling run.. TRUST ME I've been there ;)

Try not to mash your rotor to get it off either, unless you want to buy a new one when you bend it.. jmo, Good luck!

400exbigbore
06-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Ok i'll try some penetrating oil. So how does this come apart? Does the rotor, rotor hub, and those big threads all come off as ONE piece? Are those threads a part of the rotor hub??

Also, if the oil doesn't work, which part would you suggest I heat up, while leaving the other part "cooler"??

Thanks guys.

chronicsmoke
06-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by 400exbigbore
Ok i'll try some penetrating oil. So how does this come apart? Does the rotor, rotor hub, and those big threads all come off as ONE piece? Are those threads a part of the rotor hub??

Also, if the oil doesn't work, which part would you suggest I heat up, while leaving the other part "cooler"??

Thanks guys.

I'm attaching a picture from an online micro-fiche.. as you can see the threads are a different part from the hub..

the theory of adding heat is to make the outside hub/threads EXPAND and break loose.. if you heat up the inside, the axle will expand.. so, try and heat up the hub and start heating from the bottom

see pic VVV

fearlessfred
06-30-2011, 10:15 PM
if your chain and wheel are off on the other side ,you can place a block of wood on the end of the axle ( right side ) and hit with a bfh without doing damage to the threaded ends . what you will be doing is driving the axle thru. in the future you do not need to to take all the threaded parts apart .

400exbigbore
07-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Yea Fred, I actually tried that first because it didnt' appear as though i needed to take any more parts off to get the axle out. Are you talking about hitting the rotor side or the sprocket side with a hammer? My 3 lb. hammer wasn't enough when hitting it from the brake rotor side of the axle.

I still haven't gotten, haven't had a chance to put penetrating oil in there yet.

So let me get this straight, instead of pulling the rotor off, i can beat the axle through and accomplish the same thing? There is nothing else holding the axle in place?

dustin_j
07-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Your rotor hub is currently held on by corrosion to the axle. The threaded tube beside it is also in the same condition. Both need to be removed; nothing else is holding them or the axle in place. Like mentioned above, use penetrating fluid, PB Blaster works well. Maybe tip the quad up to one side so some can run down along the axle,.

It might also help to thread the axle nut back on and pry against the nut and the brake rotor hub to remove the threaded section. Fred's hammer idea is good also, pounding from the right side. Good luck; it might need to soak for awhile.

fearlessfred
07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by 400exbigbore
Yea Fred, I actually tried that first because it didnt' appear as though i needed to take any more parts off to get the axle out. Are you talking about hitting the rotor side or the sprocket side with a hammer? My 3 lb. hammer wasn't enough when hitting it from the brake rotor side of the axle.

I still haven't gotten, haven't had a chance to put penetrating oil in there yet.

So let me get this straight, instead of pulling the rotor off, i can beat the axle through and accomplish the same thing? There is nothing else holding the axle in place? yes you are correct,you can beat the axle thru with a bfh from the rotor side. bfh =10 pound double jack sledge .i would still use the penetrating oil