PDA

View Full Version : Camera for the Lady (PAPPY!)

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
So the lady wants a new camera for her birthday next month so I'm looking for something $500 or less. She wants one of the fancy camera's so I figured I'd try and get some suggestions because I don't even know where to start. Advice, suggestions please?

Pappy
06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Look at the Canon G12 or for a smaller camera with the same guts and $100 less, the Canon S95

Ntensweapon
06-28-2011, 11:04 PM
If you can spend a little more..look at the nikon d3100.

Pappy
06-28-2011, 11:09 PM
The G12 will run circles around the D3100 and the D5000.

Ntensweapon
06-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Well now I feel ripped off...lol. In what aspects pap.

Pappy
06-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Just in overall quality....neither will do well with moving objects, the 3100 and 5000 are poor excuses for dslrs and im a Pro Nikon shooter LOL so for me to throw them under the bus says alot.

The G12 offers everything the low end nikons offer (except changeable lenses), better image quality, more features and better video.

Nikons newest is the D7000, best value going for a dslr under $1300 but still will be sub par for action especially in low light, but is a great camera....nikon learned its lesson i hope!

I honestly havent met anyone who shoots the low end nikons that are happy, especially when you show them the poor image quality. Canons rebel line crushes them.

Ntensweapon
06-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I should've talked to you before I purchased. I purposely went to a pro shop to buy and get advice. They sold both nikon and canon. I'll admit I did more research on Nikon... but did inquire about the canon lineup.... guess the guy that sold me the setup was a nikon guy.

I like the changeable lenses...that would be a big trade off. You are spot on..I do have trouble in low light action.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my nikon rig...still learning.

Pappy
06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
It should be a great camera to learn on....sadly camera gear is alot like performance quad parts......you start off with a balance of what you can afford and whats recommended and end up with something that costs more then the quad did new and does what you want it too LOL!

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
06-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Thanks tons Pappy. So does the G12 do decent with moving images? Such as her taking photo's of me on the YFZ? :D

Pappy
06-29-2011, 09:58 AM
None of the low end stuff (and I dont mean to sound like a prick) lacks the focus speed to do alot of motion. Most try and compensate for this fact by using higher ISO and a high shutter speed, which brings out the bad qualities of the lower end equipment.

I get asked a ton on how to do better and with that type of gear, under decent conditions, panning works the best. The lack of fast focus and the way those sensors (most are sony made) use a "predictive" focus just is too much for most off road stuff.

Thats not to say you cant get decent stuff, you just have to be willing to learn the limits and how to work within them. For me its the opposite, I can capture the action no worries under even harsh conditions (quality still suffers even with high end gear) but then I screw up getting pit shots and such. IMO, this is where a basic consumer grade camera actually out preforms due to its metering.....its based towards the average shot and does a good job, where I have to reset a ton of stuff to get similiar results.

fastredrider44
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Alright pappy. Here's my question. You can buy used Axis shocks for the same money as revalves new, and have better shocks. So what's the possibilities of buying a used high end camera and doing better than buying a new cheaper camera?

Pappy
06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Used is good and the market is fairly strong...ebay etc. Refurbished units are a good deal as well. Factory reconditioned from high end sellers like B&H and Adorama. Just keep checking their inventory as they come and go quick.

I just sold a D2x for $900, quite the deal.

If you buy used, look for less then 100,000 shutter acuations on a Pro level body or under 40,000 on a consumer unit. Avoid anyone who doesnt include several images of the camera, and ask if they will send you a test shot including the sky.

Nikon, look for a D300s, D700, D2x or D3

Canon I believe uses the Mark 2 and higher for their units.

Pappy
06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Just dont forget, you need good glass...in some ways more so then the best pro body. I use my D300s alot....it is considered a pro-sumer body and it does shoot right along with my D3 99% of the time.

I shoot all Prime lenses and the lowest cost runs around $1800...highest ran above $5000.....but these are available used as well.

Make sure you get a manual for any camera you buy and READ the damn thing! I dont mind helping folks when they ask for it, but when they have absolutley no clue how to operate their unit its a losing battle. And read all you can about general, basic photography. The basics will make you a better shot regardless of the camera in your hand!

turdboy
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
So Pappy, I am in the same boat. My wife wants a decent camera around 500 bucks. She keeps saying she wants a big lens, and she has been talking about the Nikon D3100 and is there also a D3000? Anyways, she usually just takes still shots of flowers, sunsets, landscapes, etc. I am looking at a Canon ad right now and there is a G12 advertised for $499. You think this camera would outperform the Nikon D3100? Thanks!

Pappy
06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
For that type of photography I do, but when no action, low light etc is not the main focus, you should be happy with them all.

I just bought a Sony Cybershot LOL! I wanted it just for that cool panoramic feature haha!