PDA

View Full Version : Fox Air Shock Users Come On In

nastynotchback1
06-28-2011, 02:52 PM
What are the adjustments on an air shock?Is it just add or remove air?

fastrnrik
06-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Which Floats do you have? We ran the Float "R" on the front and the Float "X" on the rear of two DRR's with stock a arms & swingarm. The fronts were rebound adjustable and the rear was compression and rebound.

We ran 25 psi in the fronts and 50 lbs in the rear for a 60 lb kid racing MX

TeamNeilson
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
It all starts in your valving, so giving numbers is going to be challenging.

Basically the 'air' valve, is adding or removing air.. it acts like your spring and adjusts preload.

You then have your normal rebound and your normal compression (hi and low speed if the shock is built with them).

For my oldest, we are running 70psi in the front (he likes them stiff).. for my youngest, we run about 45psi

Oldest weighs about 70lb with gear, youngest about 45lb with gear.

Again, from what my shock tuner tells me, the valving makes all the difference and depending on the shock, not enough air will cause you problems.

nastynotchback1
06-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Not sure if it's a r or x but it's on the rear.It came on the quad when i bought it so i know nothing about it.Did'nt come with an air pump either andi can't get an air gauge on it so i have no clue whats in it.The problem was that the quad sut super high in the back so i let alittle air out and got it set down.It also was very bouncy until i let some air out now it works better.I will look at it when i am back at the shop tomorrow and post up what i got.thanks

TeamNeilson
06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
you can get the fox pump relatively cheap and it comes with its own gauge.. i think you can also get them at bicycle shops too (fox makes bicycle shox too)..

you don't want to pump more than about 1.5 psi per pump or you risk damaging the shock.

To be honest, i've not seen an air shock on the rear.. Fox recommends (as we well as my shock builder) to put the podium out back and the air out front.. I dont' know why, but that seems to be the norm.

With too much air it will be stiff and you have to rely on your rebound damping to slow the return travel.. with too little you best have some good valving so you don't bottom it out.

The last thing you want to do is bottom any of these rear shocks out... we've taken the crossbar that holds the top mount of the shock right off the bike and through the seat (even with gussets).

TeamNeilson
06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
If you are having trouble locating a pump, let me know.. I have a couple of them here and could possibly ship one out or i could bring to loretta's in August

mcwilly
06-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by TeamNeilson

To be honest, i've not seen an air shock on the rear.. Fox recommends (as we well as my shock builder) to put the podium out back and the air out front.. I dont' know why, but that seems to be the norm.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-10159477287573_2164_24692667

Is this what you're running?

TeamNeilson
06-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Our rears on all 3 bikes are the coil over style (podium X).

We spoke with Fox every time we got them what to use, and that is what they recommended and put on the bikes each and every time.

I'm not saying its impossible, just that I've never seen it, nor have I heard anyone doing it through all the research I've done just outfitting my boys machines.

nastynotchback1
06-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by mcwilly
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-10159477287573_2164_24692667

Is this what you're running?

Looks like the shocks at the top of your pic.All it says on it is fox float.It does not have any knobs or screw to adjust on it.