PDA

View Full Version : Need help with race sag

drr90#9
06-28-2011, 07:15 AM
So here goes...read about setting race sag for a while now and still just don't get it...

Initial measurement from axle to point on rear plastic is 21 inches...
Free sag (no rider) is supposed to be 10% of that so just under 19 inches...no problem
Now Race sag (rider in full gear on the quad) is supposed to be 30% of the initial measurement...so that puts me at just under 15 inches...if I do that the thing will be on the ground?

Am I reading/calculating this wrong? Mods are Elka shocks all around with American Star +3 +1 A-arms and an American Star +2 swingarm...please advise....STUMPED

hwf-racing
07-02-2011, 07:08 AM
If you have a local shock guy who services your shocks he is the best guy to set up your quad. We are fortunate enough to have Matt Blommel at our local track. He rebuilds, sets up our ride height and gets our steering where it needs to be :) .

dustin_j
07-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Did you get the 10% and 30% recommendations from dirt bikes? I prefer to use around 40% race sag; I also prefer to run minimal spring preload, which would correspond to a large static sag. If you have to put more than three turns of preload on the spring, I'd recommend going up a rate.

The percentage is of your wheel travel, not your first measurement. For example, if you had 10 inches of wheel travel, you would want 4 inches of sag. If this is true, you'd want your sag measurement at 17 inches. I hope this helps.

Dustin

drr90#9
07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I think we got it figured out...thanks