PDA

View Full Version : Hpw do I use a multimeter?

ridehonda400ex
06-27-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm using it on a 96 300ex and mine looks exactly like this.

http://www.worldofstock.com/stock_photos/BTE2000.php

where should i set it to test things on the quad?

slightlybent47
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
It all depends on what you are trying to do. Continuity test or are you looking for amps or volts.

ridehonda400ex
06-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Im new to the whole electrical part of quads, I know how to wire and add switches but I have no idea how to read these meters or work them. I just wanna test the coil and CDI and parts like that to see if theyre working, I cant get spark to the plug on one of my 300ex's

slightlybent47
06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Unplug the spark plug and hold it in your hand, then push the starter button. You’ll know rite away if it’s working.lol

slightlybent47
06-27-2011, 10:57 PM
As for the cdi box you need to know what circuits are open and witch are closed, in order to test it. And what reading each pin is supposed to have.

ridehonda400ex
06-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Unplug the spark plug and hold it in your hand, then push the starter button. You’ll know rite away if it’s working.lol

Im not stupid lol, Ive done it before to demonstrate for teacher at school. and idk what you mean at all in your second post, sorry. im more of a visual/hands on learner

DnB_racing
06-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
I'm using it on a 96 300ex and mine looks exactly like this.

http://www.worldofstock.com/stock_photos/BTE2000.php

where should i set it to test things on the quad? with that meter you can only check a few things that will help(its a cheap one)to be able to check everything you would need a peak volt meter one with a min/max hold

but you can check resistance of the pulse generator, the coil, and stator, and you can check for dc from battery at least 13.5 and check auxiliary output from stator for the lites will be ac until the reg/rec were it turns dc

but to check the cranking volts from the coil and stator on the ignition side of the stator is were you need the peak voltage meter