PDA

View Full Version : PVL Problems

JONATHANSANDERS
06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
I just installed a new malossi iginition on our 2010 Drr 50. i set the timing to 2.25 btdc. The bike will run,but it takes 25 kicks tobget it going.then i shut it down and immediatly try to start it again but have to kick it 25 times agian. Please help i am getting frustrated.Thanks

Logan #34's Dad
06-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Make sure you set the timing correctly. I don't know what the numbers need to be for the Malossi. A common mistake is to set the timing AFTER top dead center. The piston needs to go backward (or counter clockwise on the ignition side) from TDC to set it correctly.

hotquads1
06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
sounds like weak spark, I am not sure of the timing # for Malossi call Gary at G-force , he has experience with the Malossi pvl, i am sure he can put you right on the #.

JustinBoots
07-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't think your ignition point will change that much from one aftermarket to another and not sure what your 2.25 means. Typically you are looking at a mm or thousandths measurement. I have a 2010 50 for my son as well, but if you have timing questions I'd be happy to offer you any advice I can. My first advice is to get a mm to thousandths conversion chart online because your dial indicator is probably in thousandths. Then find the point in your timing range that works best for the bike....the 50cc range typically is from 1.2mm to 1.8mm....1.8mmm being the aggressive end. Bike should start 1st or 2nd kick in this range and then you can tailor it from there. Hope that helps....if you get stuck fel free to call me 281-380-4132 Justin

JONATHANSANDERS
07-07-2011, 03:12 PM
The 2.25 is the distance before tdc in metric. My indicator is metric. I did figure things out though Thanks for you help

JustinBoots
07-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Wow that timing is way different from what I was told and am running on a Penton PVL, but glad you got it figured out.

wrhracing
07-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Timing , BTDC, changes with the manufacturer are due to the curve imbedded in the CDI box. They will also differ between analog and digital , even though the same lower coils can be used.
Remember most are suggested timing settings.