PDA

View Full Version : weird vibration???

punk rock kiel
06-26-2011, 05:47 PM
ive read around but didnt find anything....

i bought the quad used and its run fine, i adjusted the valves to .005 and they tick now when i ride but not at idle so much but do get louder as rpm's climb. (they were tighter before i adjusted them, hot cam stg1)

recently ive noticed a vibration thats pretty bad kinda like to the point where it feels like your foot feel asleep and tingles that much you cant keep your feet on the pegs....i dont know what to check besides motor mounts which are all tight....it does keep vibrating loose the swing arm nut even if i use loctite to keep it on....

final issue i just noticed after hatfield mccoy trip (them trails suck compared to trevorton like we are use to), i managed to push oil out the oil fill cap (and it was tight).....besides pcv system being clogged, what could have caused that???

also, let it be known it ran 100% from start to finish since i rejetted it. i just hate the ticking and the vibration.
thanx ahead of time.

DnB_racing
06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by punk rock kiel
ive read around but didnt find anything....

i bought the quad used and its run fine, i adjusted the valves to .005 and they tick now when i ride but not at idle so much but do get louder as rpm's climb. (they were tighter before i adjusted them, hot cam stg1)

recently ive noticed a vibration thats pretty bad kinda like to the point where it feels like your foot feel asleep and tingles that much you cant keep your feet on the pegs....i dont know what to check besides motor mounts which are all tight....it does keep vibrating loose the swing arm nut even if i use loctite to keep it on....

final issue i just noticed after hatfield mccoy trip (them trails suck compared to trevorton like we are use to), i managed to push oil out the oil fill cap (and it was tight).....besides pcv system being clogged, what could have caused that???
also, let it be known it ran 100% from start to finish since i rejetted it. i just hate the ticking and the vibration.
thanx ahead of time. sounds like a possible bad bearing...does your oil have a metallic shine to it?

punk rock kiel
06-27-2011, 07:15 AM
i didnt take notice to a shine but there was a little metal on the magnetic drain plug.
bad bearing sounds like a good answer tho....that could be causing all my other issues....

i guess id get a cometic gasket kit once i tear it apart and oem gaskets but where do i get bearings?? oem dealer (there is one in my area)

CJM
06-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Yep, sounds like a bad bearing internally, kinda hard to tell which one really without taking it apart tho. You can buy bearings from http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/atvdirtbikebearingsandseals1/Categories

FWIW I have a slight vibration I been trying to track for ages that I can hear a slight rattling at high speed WOT. Im convinced its just something loose and perhaps the vibration itself I feel is the tires/wheels (the fronts are slightly bent).

punk rock kiel
06-27-2011, 07:46 AM
well 5th gear WOT going down the highway i cant put my feet on the nerfs it vibrates that much. but if i let off, i can find a happy medium where i can put my feet down.

guess the motor comes out this weekend and i borrow a quad so i can keep riding.

guess its also good im back at the machine shop working again so i can get parts at cost.

CJM
06-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Are you sure its not one of the wheels, perhaps the wheel bearings or the rear axle/bearings or something? Put the quad up on something and put it in gear and check the rear, stand it up and check the fronts too.

punk rock kiel
06-27-2011, 08:03 AM
if i free rev standing still, it vibrates.....
im gonna go ahead and say its what broke the exhaust weld holding the muffler to the frame...

CJM
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Def sounds engine related, perhaps crank bearings-not a cheap thing to replace due to the labor involved.

punk rock kiel
06-27-2011, 12:51 PM
as i have come to find out. look at an easy 500 w/hinson clutch basket tossed into the mix IF the chain and guides are good.

luckily i got friends that will help with the tear down, shouldnt be tooo in depth that i cant do it. guess i got a nice tear down on the way.

rooster300ex
06-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by punk rock kiel
as i have come to find out. look at an easy 500 w/hinson clutch basket tossed into the mix IF the chain and guides are good.

luckily i got friends that will help with the tear down, shouldnt be tooo in depth that i cant do it. guess i got a nice tear down on the way.

It will make it easier if u ever have to do anymore engine work to it. Get a clymer repair manual its worth the money I promise ya. When u get stumped on what to do it will show u and explain.

punk rock kiel
06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I downloaded one online for reference so I can make sure to get it right. Between bearings and seals and gaskets plus if I wanted to do a hinson clutch basket at the same time, I'm almost better off buying a use bottom end and swapping everything over and saving myself from seeing the inside of my bottom end...but I do like the fact I know its good to go then.