PDA

View Full Version : They're closing all of Oregon's dune trails!

Rkangel7
06-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Under the new 10c rules the forest service is closing all of the trails on the Oregon Dunes. This reduces access and cuts approximately 103 miles of trails down to only 4.
Forest Service Plan and Maps (http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/fs-usda-pop.php/?project=34220)
Everything in yellow will be closed.

If you've ever ridden or have wanted to ride the Oregon Dunes I encourage you to comment at:
Comment link 1 (comments-pacificnorthwest-siuslaw-centralcoast@fs.fed.us)
or
Comment Link 2 (angelamorris@fs.fed.us)

Even if you haven't ridden here, we are all still in the same boat. More closures mean less riding areas. This is our last chance to speak out before we lose major sections of the Oregon Dunes.

Thanks!

(Links Updated)

rbgnwa45
06-26-2011, 10:57 AM
THAT'S HORSE ****!

finsteratv
06-26-2011, 02:01 PM
im going in 2 weeks..i love riding sand trails and tree shots!! this is BULL****

DnB_racing
06-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Good luck, I hope you get enough people interested enough to fight this!!!! once they are closed it will be for good!!! fight NOW!!!or it will be too late!!..

Ive been through this in Massachusetts and we lost! now there are very few spots to ride,

I try to tell people to be responsible and wear helmets and not be stupid, dont ride roads between trails, and I get flamed for trying to help ,

for your situation Im afraid others wont care they think it wont happen to them, but believe me we are all in this together once one closes others are sure to follow...

If we dont unite like the activists do we are going to loose!!!!!

we all have to be spokesman for our sport and riding areas, if there is to be a future for our kids to enjoy offroading everyone has to care about what impact they have on the image of atv's !!

we have to be looked like we are helping to keep areas clean and safe or we are sure to loose-out!!not like a bunch of nuckle heads riding roads without helmits trowing trash in the vegitation!!

Rkangel7
06-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Comment links have been updated.

We've been fighting this for a while. In spite of the town hall meetings, the forest service slapped us all in the face pretending to listen, then selling us out to radical environmental groups based on lies. In this case lies over trails and invasive plant species. Believe me these extremists have other riding areas in their cross-hairs and they've been emboldened by a green-happy government. It won't stop here unless we fight back.

DnB_racing
06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
I sent a mail stating the surrounding community will loose money from lost family vacations, I stated that if areas are closed then the responsible caring off road families will go elsewhere and the local business will suffer.. I said I was planing on vacationing there but will be going someplace more off road friendly!

I hope it helps, but you need to keep pushing for help from everyone!! DONT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!

buck440
06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
as long as there isn't cops in dune buggies riding there after it's closed shouldn't be a problem.

DnB_racing
06-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by buck440
as long as there isn't cops in dune buggies riding there after it's closed shouldn't be a problem. NO NO NO!!!!That's what gives them more ammunition to close more of the area and then you will have no place to ride.. this is the attitude that keeps the tree huggers in power.

if closed and you continue to be selfish and ride anyways you hurt everyone else.. the best thing to do is be responsible and show the public that the tree huggers are the problem not us!!

by going on posted areas just will keep the closings coming, if you dont really care about anyone but yourself then go ahead and ruin it for everyone!!!

do you really believe they wont be some do gooder taking pictures showing how destructive you are???

finsteratv
06-26-2011, 06:37 PM
i dont see why they even would do this..you're very true about communities losing money if this does go through..but what the he** the forest service doesnt even take care of there forestry roads around here, why do they care about sand trails? they're part of the riding area here! instead of working to shut down our dunes they should be maintaining them and the sand roads...ever ridden like 2 miles of damn turning curzy whoops?! it sucks! i dont see how theyd shut down the trails anyways...Sand likes to change with the wind anyways so its not really being "eroded" to some fairy land..it just forms more dunes..just ahhhh this pisses me off :scary: :scary: :mad: :mad: im not gonna be driving to glamis ever year :scary:

06-26-2011, 07:54 PM
I emailed the above contacts my opposition to the closure. Even though I am from the midwest I'd love to ride the Oregon dunes someday and hope people will band together to fight the closure!

Also, everyone that can, please donate to the Blue Ribbon Coalition. There website is http://www.sharetrails.org/.

They fight for recreational rights on public lands. Without donations they would not be able to afford to fight the tree huggers in court!

sexysilverado45
06-26-2011, 08:06 PM
This is the same problem agriculture businesses are fighting. The tree huggers are trying to stop feed lots due to the amount of green house gases that cattle release. The only way to fight it is not by fighting the activist,but by showing the other 70% of the population what rising is about and how family oriented it is. Fighting the activist is a waste of energy.

Chef
06-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I wonder how they plan on "closing" them? Just with a sign? What is the actual email address on that link for those of us without a system based mailbox? So I can send it from my phone.

DnB_racing
06-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Chef
I wonder how they plan on "closing" them? Just with a sign? What is the actual email address on that link for those of us without a system based mailbox? So I can send it from my phone. address comments-pacificnorthwest-siuslaw-centralcoast@fs.fed.us<comments-pacificnorthwest-siuslaw-centralcoast@fs.fed.us>;

destey
06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Just the beginning. Its bad here in VT. Lots of "protect the environment"

Yet humans don't even compare to a volcano, tornado or floods. But a 4ft wide atv trail is pure evil they say.

Sad part is they have about half the population on their side.

Rkangel7
06-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks to all those who have sent comments so far.

Environmentalists are almost as cult-like in their beliefs as they are in their denial of factually based arguments. They thrive on hyperbole and devision.
The three most common points argued by the enviros are:
Noise
Environmental Impact
Trespassing

But arguing facts with them does little good by itself. We also have to win the opinions of the average joe or jane non-rider.

The last thing we need to be doing is handing the eviros any ammunition in this fight. To recommend breaking laws is to hand them some pretty heavy artillery. And yes, the police and rangers do drive Razr S's and quads out here, so don't count on getting away with it.

Division and apathy within the OHV community is also ridiculous. Two-wheelers may dislike quads. Rails may dislike bikes. Mudders may dislike duners. But while we argue among ourselves or think that it doesn't matter, they pick us off one riding area at a time. Anytime there is discussion of closures anywhere we should be banding together and flooding mailboxes.

awsomeaussies
06-27-2011, 04:30 PM
That's bull*****!!! That's the only decent place within 8 hours of me:mad: The drive is long enough, I don't need to travel to Cali or Idaho to find some decent dunes. I'm heading to Florence next week, maybe I'll try to find out some more info.

Rkangel7
06-27-2011, 08:59 PM
An online petition has also been started to say no to the closures.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/3/stop-the-forest-service-from-endangering-or-dunes-atv-riding/

honda400ex2003
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
did my best, i signed the petition and sent it around to all of my atv contacts for MI-trale and such.

good luck to all out there!
steve

finsteratv
06-28-2011, 11:19 AM
thanks steve! all help is appreciated guys!

reconmaster
06-28-2011, 02:09 PM
signed the petition posting to friends on facebook gonna post on twitter

Rkangel7
06-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the support! Our goal is 5000 signatures by July 7th.

Rkangel7
07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
We're at 1850 signatures! Lets keep the pressure going!

Thanks!

DnB_racing
07-03-2011, 04:46 PM
back on top ........ help these guys out!!!!! send the enviros a message !!!!before they start looking to do more.. your riding area could already have a bullseye on it,, sign the petition and help show unity

Kennethyfz450
07-03-2011, 10:16 PM

Rkangel7
07-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Closing in on 2200!

Two days left!

Rkangel7
07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
They've extended the petition to July 21st.

If you haven't signed, now's your chance! Thanks to all those who have shown their support so far!