PDA

View Full Version : 416 break in questions

06-24-2011, 08:41 PM
The cam says NOT to let it idle, but for the rings, I need to let the engine idle for 15 mins or so to warm up before driving... Should I just let it idle 15 mins till warm and not worry about the cam?

Also, ive read that I should ride the quad a little on the hard side to break in the rings.. but the hotcam says to take it easy. Should I just ride it somewhere in the middle?

CJM
06-24-2011, 09:01 PM
See here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I started mine up, let it run for 15 mins to warm up then beat the pee outta it. Many, many hours later no issues.

slightlybent47
06-24-2011, 11:03 PM
It depends on what all was done to it. If you just did rings and cam with the same piston then I would just let it idle for 5 minuets and shut it off. Let it cool down then just ride it real easy for about 10 minuets and let it cool again. Then start riding it a little harder for 15 minuets and stop. That should do it.
If you put in a new piston then run it through a few mare heat cycles before you start riding it, but when you do ride it, ride for 5 then stop, the ride for 10 then stop, then 15 and you should be good to go. Just don’t hold it wide open for too long until you get a few hours on it. And don’t stay in one gear to long. After a few hours, ride the ......out of it.

Red_250EX_Rider
06-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Mines a regular 400EX but It was broke in in the snow and you was ran hard alot. High RPMs, Drifting all the snow goody's and after 7 months no problems yet.

supertrooper90
06-25-2011, 06:59 AM
I took mine to the mx track. rode it for 10-15 minute intervalls for the day. As the day went on i progressively rode it longer and harder. Very happy with it. I would just ride it as you normally do.