PDA

View Full Version : New East Coast riding area underway

Pappy
06-24-2011, 08:03 PM
This is where Kawasaki had us the past few days. They are all but done the red tape and will be progressing after more of the hearings etc. Be sure to check it out!

www.anthraciteadventure.com

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/photos/i-L3kTFkq/0/O/i-L3kTFkq.jpg

OldGuyonaQuad
06-25-2011, 08:48 AM
So will they be seperate or in conjunction with :

http://www.readinganthracite.com/access-permits/

Nice riding up there and either way it's great news for me because this is only a 2 -1/2 hr drive.

Now if only NJ could adopt some more progressive thinking along these same lines.

I did my first Hatfield / McCoy trip a couple of weeks ago and it was so nice to not only not have to look over your shoulder constantly but to feel welcomed and apreciated.

CJM
06-25-2011, 09:08 AM
I had the same thought too, wonder if its in conjunction with RAC?

Shame NJ wouldnt ever do this, too many tree huggers and idiots.

punk rock kiel
06-26-2011, 06:35 PM
we keep hearing about that from locals and stuff but......the government wont give any money towards converting it to a dcnr park.

we ride up there all the time tho....going again soon.

jimmyjames72
06-27-2011, 12:26 PM
does anyone have an idea of when and if this place will actually open to the public?

punk rock kiel
06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
it is open to the public, go to reading anthracite's main office and get a permit and you can ride where ever up there pretty much, they got alot of riding area.

there is however no maps but if you stay between the mtns, you can usually find your way back to an area you passed to find your way back to camp.

OldGuyonaQuad
06-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by punk rock kiel
it is open to the public, go to reading anthracite's main office and get a permit and you can ride where ever up there pretty much, they got alot of riding area.

there is however no maps but if you stay between the mtns, you can usually find your way back to an area you passed to find your way back to camp.

actually they do give you maps when you get your permit ( I think I read that on their site ) also if you go to the link pappy provided there are maps of the trails in future plans including two or three proposed camp grounds. They said in master plan (heh sounds like STar Wars Death Star) they hope to have a plan in place before the end of 2011 or 2012 so it is at least two years from opening if everything is approved and goes to plan. They did mention that operations would continue during the construction phase but some areas would have limited or no access.

Pappy
06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/atvreviews/kawasaki-2012-brute-force-750-4x4-atv-anthracite-ride-area-review.html

OldGuyonaQuad
06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
That was a great read Pappy. I look forward to your future publications. I enjoyed it so much I completly forgot you were writing about Kawasaki's ;)

I was going to applaud you involving your son with such common intrests but after reading I realized he was a bulit in scape goat :D

If and when I grow up I wanna be Pappy.

We are heading back up that way in 3 to 4 weeks if you and Cody are available we would love to hook up for a ride or two. either way thanks for the info and I have already registered to their site, offered to volunteer my services and plan to attend next weeks meeting.

Pappy
06-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey thats good to hear, im sure they can use their help! Send me a pm when ever, if we are free we would love to hit the trails!

OldGuyonaQuad
07-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I'll check back with you in a couple of weeks to see how your schedule looks Pappy, maybe I can manage to drag CJM up there and Punk Rock Keil practically lives there so we could get a nice ATV Riders group ride together.

Pappy
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Just keep me in the loop!

CJM
07-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Im game I guess. Just stinks ya gotta drive so far.

Pappy
07-03-2011, 11:32 PM
LOL....2 hours is nothing, usually a 8 to 10 hour trip is on tap every weekend!

OldGuyonaQuad
07-04-2011, 02:51 PM
You're gonna ride all day anyway ;)

CJM if you can't get anyone to ride with you to split the costs we can always squeeze you in some where.

CJM
07-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Guess Im spoiled, my spot is like 20 mins away lol.

Ill go sooner or later. Right now Im wanting to go to hazelton with Lonnie (check the hazelton post) either this weekend or next.

punk rock kiel
07-04-2011, 03:54 PM
make a weekend of trevorton, come down and camp over night. i do only live an hour away and we go and camp out all the time. we are gonna go again soon but then fade out cause its gonna be too hot to camp out.
keep me in the loop and so you have some kinda tour guide. we have been finding new "landmarks" in the area and hope to find a few more real soon.

Pappy
07-07-2011, 06:41 AM
http://newsitem.com/news/positive-outlook-at-final-aoaa-meeting-1.1172062#axzz1RPV8YMld

Kilabanshee
07-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Pappy I'm about 10 minutes from Northumberland. Would love to get a ride in soon. Get in contact with me!

Pappy
07-07-2011, 08:03 AM
ok, let me talk with Harlen and see if we can find a weekend where we both are home and try to get a big ride scheduled.

Pappy
07-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Only weekend we both have free is the weekend before labor day..aug 27th -28th.

We will see how it can be done and if we can do it.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I will probably get another ride in between now and then but if you are heading back up to the same area that you reviewed shoot me a pm when you get closer to finalizing plans and I will try to make it. I should be free that weekend as well.

punk rock kiel
07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
keep an eye on the weather oldguy....if theres no rain its gonna be dusty and stupid hot. we are taking a break until mid-end of august due to the heat/dust. we are holding off and getting everyones machines fixed in the mean time so we are good for a large group ride

OldGuyonaQuad
07-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Hey Keil looks like some rain tomorrow and possibly sunday so we are heading up Sunday morning. If you are riding hit me up if you want to hook up for a ride or two, I still don't know how to get to the whale back.

punk rock kiel
07-24-2011, 09:45 AM
we are shooting for the end of aug and meeting up with whoever for a long ride over to centrailia and our buddy's house.
i couldnt make it today cause i need a few parts i got on order for the new quad (sold the 400 and got a 450r after riding a friends).

we found a few more landmarks and a nice swimming hole. we go by whale back and the swimming hole on the way to centrailia, so we can stop if yous all come up near the end of aug

CJM
07-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Im thinking we should get a ride going with Pappy and Cody. Would be nice to finally meet him and of course a fun day as well.

Im game for a ride at the end of august myself when he can go. Should be slightly cooler andperhaps it will rain and be less dusty!

I got free time and some cash Ill go earlier for the heck of it tho. Not exactly sure right now.

punk rock kiel
07-26-2011, 07:27 PM
I think I'm headed up this saturday for a quick ride, we got a reception we need to be at by 4. Plus we just wanna mess around and not go for long rides but play at the hills and on stuff.

54warrior
07-29-2011, 11:53 AM
hey punk rock... any riding there near annville? I am in Lancaster and am lookinf for some good places to ride around here. I was up to the Reading Anthracite/Trevorton place a few weeks ago. Sure was R O C K Y !!!

punk rock kiel
07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
We travel an hour north to trevorton cause it sucks down here. Our buddy comes from millersville to ride. Its not that rocky, but if your looking for smooth roads, your outta luck.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im thinking we should get a ride going with Pappy and Cody. Would be nice to finally meet him and of course a fun day as well.

Im game for a ride at the end of august myself when he can go. Should be slightly cooler andperhaps it will rain and be less dusty!

I got free time and some cash Ill go earlier for the heck of it tho. Not exactly sure right now.

Yea me too Marc, I sent Pappy a message but no reply :ermm:

It wasn't bad up there last weekend. I think it was around 84 degrees. We hooked up with some locals that took us to the Whale back, fan house, coal fire, rock chairs and the mile.

Yea it looks a lot different since the last time I was there back in the spring. The mile and whale back are bone dry. :grr:

Have fun Keil, catch you next time...going to the shore with the family.

54warrior
08-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by punk rock kiel
We travel an hour north to trevorton cause it sucks down here. Our buddy comes from millersville to ride. Its not that rocky, but if your looking for smooth roads, your outta luck.

Yeah I went up to Trevorton about a month ago, very rocky! Destroyed my aluminum skid plate like it was a piece of paper in the shredder!

punk rock kiel
08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Trevorton is very harsh on skid plates, you gotta pick good lines and have a .190 thick skid plate and even then, mine is bent. But I run small 20's and it shows.

wildwheels22
11-13-2011, 07:41 AM
looks like we are not gonna be able to ride at night.. no more camping out and bon fires. Sorry, this place isnt gonna be the same any more. I know the locals really hate this idea too. This was their back yard and the net destroyed it. I guess its the last spot that we really have left in pa,nj area. I can just imangine how much they are gonna charge us to ride here. So now we'll need the RAC pass and AOAAor DCNR pass? Is that right?