PDA

View Full Version : 300ex master cylinder upgrade

Throwbackranger
06-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Would like to upgrade the front master cylinder on my '96 300ex. Any suggestions? Please only post if you know for sure your suggestion will work. I don't have the $$ to experiment.

fearlessfred
06-24-2011, 09:01 PM
what do you mean by upgrade

Throwbackranger
06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
My MC sat for a long time w/o fluid in it before I bought the quad. I tried the rebuild kit but the actual aluminum cylinder casting that the piston rides in was badly corroded and i think the pits in the aluminum are causing it to leak down and not maintain pressure. I was gonna just buy a good used complete unit off of Ebay so I figured if i was gonna spend the money i might as well investigate if a 400ex or 450r MC were 'better' than a stock 300ex MC or even take suggestions for a completely aftermarket unit. I dont even know if anyone makes aftermarket MCs though.

fearlessfred
06-24-2011, 09:38 PM
as far as i know one is no better than the other.so going for a used 300 would be a for sure thing, but i dont see why any of the models you mentioned wouldnt work for you.the cannondales had a neat light weight parking brake setup on theres and there has been a lot of them parted out. i might have an extra one of the dales m/c

Throwbackranger
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I appreciate that. My biggest fear would be if my ASV lever would work with the Cannondale unit?

fearlessfred
06-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Throwbackranger
I appreciate that. My biggest fear would be if my ASV lever would work with the Cannondale unit? i think your correct on that,i dont think the levers will switch over