PDA

View Full Version : Traxxas Truck

ryan243
06-24-2011, 03:11 PM
I bought a traxxas stampede xl-5 last night. First real rc I've ever owned other than the cheap kid ones. I'm instantly hooked and already looking into all the upgrades. Anybody have some insight on what I should do first other than a better battery and charger?

finsteratv
06-24-2011, 04:25 PM
are the newer xl-5's the brushless system? waterproof? some good tires upgrade bumper maybe the arms too..dpends on where you drive the thing and what you're intoo.

ryan243
06-25-2011, 04:54 AM
The xl-5 is a brushed motor but you can upgrade to brushless and yes itis waterproof. I plan on just beating this thing up and launching it as high as I can haha. I want to get the rustler as well since it's set up a bit more for tracks and there is an indoor one close by I can go to

muddy400EX
06-25-2011, 06:10 AM
when i had my gas rc, after the first couple weeks i realized i needed better a-arms and a bumper that actually protected the front end,lol. i had the rpm arms and bumper. and the stock tires wore really fast, so started using the beefier tires

skyeryder
06-25-2011, 11:44 AM
get a slash to go along with it, there are more classes and always places t race them, buy a brushless set-up for it and watch out, then when you get used to that buy a lipo.:D :D

01 400EXer
06-25-2011, 08:07 PM
My son and I have 2 3905 EMaxxes and they are a blast to drive. They might as well be 3903 due to upgrading to 2.4ghz radios and recivers. Upgrade as you break it. We have RPM skids, a-arms and bumpers. Mine has 4 - 1/8 scale buggy shocks with upgraded springs all the way around as well as a DeWalt 14.4 drill motor. I love the set up so far due to it still being waterproof and gobs of torque. I have always run good quality enerG nmih batteries but recently switched to LiFe batteries and they are awsome. They are not like lipos that requrie special maintenance. These batteries are indestructable and have no issues yet.

Wills77
06-25-2011, 08:58 PM
they are my newest hobby also
i have a e-revo brushless with the mamba monster on 4c lipos
my girlfriend has a slash 4x4 brushless on 2c lipo
my dad has a 2.5 nitro tmaxx
my brother has a bandit vxl, 2.5 tmaxx, 1/5th scale redcat rampage xt with 30cc upgrade

my e-revo is the fastest but the slash is the funnest and toughest. so far the slash just wont break. on my e-revo i snapped the a arms off, fixed that and now the frame snapped.

honda400ex2003
06-25-2011, 09:36 PM
def get some nice tires for it and a bumper first, then do some motor work and such.

arms and stuff can come second if you can drive it without hitting anything. metal will weigh it down quite a bit after you upgrade everything.

r/c is quite addicting and gets expensive just as quick as atvs and such. i spent thousands on my t-maxx racing and messing with it but they are a blast to play with. I have the 2.5 in mine also, its a great engine that will last a long long time. I had 5 gallons through mine with weekend after weekend of racing before i finally over heated it for about 15 minutes while racing one day and cooked it. i had it rebuilt in a couple of hours and was back at it for the next weekend of racing. 5 gallons at 150cc a tank takes a long time to burn up. lol that was a couple of years of messing with it almost every day while practicing.

enjoy!
lets see some pics of it!
steve

ryan243
06-25-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll throw some pictures up here when I can. I love this thing though, had it out tonight and beat on it as hard as I could and it takes it like a champ and keeps on going! Anybody have a good recommendation for a battery that lasts longer and a faster charger? I thought I could figure that out on my own but there are a lot of choices!

awsomeaussies
06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I have a stampede vxl:D Tons of fun! First thing I would recommend is anything that brakes, replace it with RPM... and trust me you'll brake a lot of stock parts. Stay away from aluminum, unless you get a warrenty, REM or FLM both warrenty there parts, don't buy Integy;) I have extended a-arms from FLM and that's the best upgrade so far!!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/2011-04-16194914_edit0.jpg

yellow02400ex
06-27-2011, 05:37 PM
I have a slash 4x4 and have hit the 3 foot jumps at my local track and hit a bunch of trees and random objects in my back yard and haven't broken anything with it yet. I'm also new to rc and I'm not sure if brushed motors can handle lipos but if they can get some lipo packs and a lipo charger. Replace stuff as it breaks. If the shocks have plastic caps get the aluminum ones. The plastic ones pop off when hitting big jumps.

yellow02400ex
06-27-2011, 05:41 PM
One more thing keep it clean if you run through water or wet grass clean it and clean the bearings.