PDA

View Full Version : Long travel arms, standard shocks

brewster426
06-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I was wondering how it would be if I did a long travel setup up for mx and then put my standard shocks on my long travel front end for TT? Not sure how much it would lower the bike. I'm not concerned with the rear because I have a whole different swingarm and linkage I already run for TT.

laeger400
06-24-2011, 12:58 AM
You would drop at least 3". Thats about the difference between standard and long travel.

fast450r70
06-24-2011, 06:59 AM
If you were to do something like that, have you thought of the damage that could be caused to your spindles(excessive bind) or maybe damage to your shocks?

brewster426
06-24-2011, 07:15 AM
I didn't really know what would happen. Or if it would even work. I was just trying to find a easy solution to running TT and mx without having two bikes

dustin_j
06-24-2011, 07:25 AM
What front end do you have, or how long are your LT shocks? Most likely, it would lower your front, but your frame will drag since the compressed length is too short. Your best bet would be getting another pair of front shocks; HLS is a pretty good deal. Call Andy at M@ul Tech ATV; he'll get you a setup that works well for TT.

mx Eli
06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
the setup you are talking about is what I run for ice racing, It puts u at around the perfect ride hieght. as for the scraping issue, I have not actually figured this out for sure but the frame might scrape on and bigger sized jump but on tt u should be fine. also deoending on what ST shock you use the shock might not get close to bottoming ( I used stock ltr450's for awhile)

the right way to figure this out would be the take the springs off your ST shocks mount the shock up with no springs and compress the front end,see if the frame scraps lift up the tire and see how much more travel the shock has left. Also I know for mx you put a 2x4 under your quad but for TT I would bet you could just leave it on the floor since the tires do not flex as much as they would racing mx.

the perfect thing would be to measure the compressed length you need so the frame does not scrape then find a shock that matches that compressed length. building a new ST shock would be the best actually but who has the money for that:(

mx Eli
06-24-2011, 09:39 AM
also the ST shocks you would want are 2 inch's shorter then your LT shocks (just about)

brewster426
06-24-2011, 09:44 AM
I have been running Burgard standard travel arms with my stock shocks. I want to run more mx I'm just not happy with the shocks. I hit a big jump and land just a little funny and it bottoms out. But the stock shocks work pretty good for TT. I'm going to run Loretta lynns in august and I wanted to get some good suspension but still be able to run the TT stuff too without changing the whole front end out. I already do that with the rear end. So I was thinking if I bought some long travel a arms I could just put my stock shocks up front and it would lower the bike a little and I could still go hit the motocross track the next weekend and all I would have to do is change front and rear shocks and swingarm. Just an idea. Not sure if it would work or not.

mx Eli
06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
try it! I havnt had a problem yet!

KEVIN132
06-26-2011, 05:12 AM
my friend did it with walsh lt arms for a local tt event and put a strap on his grab bar . did great no probs and like u said def a lot cheaper!!