PDA

View Full Version : help with engine kits

sabertooth
02-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Hey everyone,

I am looking to greatly increase my engine's horsepower without nitrous and using high octane pump gas. Don't really want to have to deal with the price and limited availabilty of race gas or alcohol. Here's what I have heard so far....go with a 440 kit and have it stroked to 465. Make sure to use a long stroke arm instead of a short one. Stay clear of Wiseco pistons in favor of JE or Ross. Use a Web Cam over a Hot Cam. Increase rev limit. Get a new carb. preferrably one with a pump. (That's a debate in itself...FCR vs Qwiksilver or Qwiksilver 440 and FCR 39 or 41?) And which pipe? Now the tricky part, does anyone sell this in a nice complete package so I can give someone my credit card number and they can send me a kit. A very good friend of mine has a full line machine shop and has built many quads and dirt bikes for friends, but he is not a dealer in this stuff and about the only thing he can get is the qwiksilver carb or Mikuni. He can also get Wiseco stuff. I know that 2 strokes are hard to beat and quite honestly, that's not my concern as I trail ride mostly. I do go to the dunes once in a while and would like to at least look good and not totally eat dust. What I am most concerned about is the raptor and the new Suzuki and sister Kawasaki. THere aren't any Cannondale dealers near me and have not even seen one yet.

Also food for thought, have you ever noticed how many banshees are at the dunes and how few banshees are at the trails? I guess a quads gotta know its limitations!!!

Thanks guys

DESDAK4
02-21-2003, 12:47 PM
I would give Hetrick racing a call and tell them what you are after I am sure they could hook you up and they have great service and prices.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

oynot400
02-22-2003, 02:43 AM
If you decide to go with a stroker of any size you will need to run race gas or at least a 50/50 mix, so I have been told. Talk with several engine builders and tell them what you want. Most will be more than happy to talk with you about how you want to use it and what will work best.
The pipe is another whole topic. Depending on what you have done to your motor will depend on what you need for a pipe. Such as a Sparks X-4 is good for stock or lightly modded motors and the X-6 is for large bore and strokers. With the research I have done and the help of other exriders members, I have decided on the Hetrick pipe. :D And yes they will take your credit card so you can run a higher balance!
The carb you can't really go wrong with what ever you do. The Quicksilver is a good carb and so is the FCR's. With the FCR size will make a difference. The 39 will give good low end power and the 41 will have great top end power. For trail riding I would guess you would want the 39 mm.
Good luck....:D