PDA

View Full Version : Should ya warm it up or not??

02-21-2003, 10:28 AM
I had a arguement with an older guy at my work today regarding letting your car warm up or not when it's cold outside.

For example,,if it's 25 degrees outside would you say its OK to just jump in your car and hammer down the road.

Or should you let it warm up for a few minutes at minimum..I know I let my truck warm up for at least 15 minutes every morning before getting in it and mashin the pedal down...

He said there is no reason to let your car warm up that it's perfectly OK to jump in it and take off...:huh

Wired
02-21-2003, 10:30 AM
i was always told to let everything warm up, no matter what engine you run. sometime i just hop in the car and take off if its cold out but i take it real easy for the first 5 mins. then let her buck! :D

DESDAK4
02-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Living in the coldest part of the country by far, I have learned one thing for sure, always let you cars, turcks, ATVs or what ever warm up or you will pay in the long run.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Glow Plug
02-21-2003, 10:34 AM
i always let everything warm up unless i'm just driving around the yard or something

Doibugu2
02-21-2003, 10:35 AM
It only makes sense to warm it up. Where is all your oil? Down in the pan and thicker than syrup. It takes at least a couple of minutes just to get the oil moving. You should here the valves tap in my crappy Honda in the morning because there is no oil up there.

YLW400
02-21-2003, 10:36 AM
I think heating up a block, or whatever for that matter in a car too quickly could crack it. I say let it warm it self up for a few, then your off :D

MSL
02-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Let it warm up..

02-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Well I figured most of you would agree with me but he was dead set and had to explain to me that he's drove over 700,000 miles in his life and has always jumped in and took off and looked at me like I was crazy when I brought the subject up..:huh

I asked him if he was familiear with the internal workings of a motor and he replied that he worked at a chevy dealer for 6 years and they never told him to warm his car up if it was cold. I responded with...it's a common sense thing..you shouldn't have to be told. :D

MOUSE
02-21-2003, 11:06 AM
always let it warm up the most damege occours to an engine when it is first crunk up because overnight all the oil has drained down to the pan and basically till it gets up to the top there is metal to metal, a guy i know used to do this , every mourning in his nissan first thing he did as soon as the spark plug fired was lay it on the floor, needless to say he has a new engine in the nissan :eek:

02-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by MOUSE
needless to say he has a new engine in the nissan :eek:

Well this feller made the comment that he's never had engine problems before..I told him to play the lottery cus your a lucky SOB.

NDrider
02-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
Living in the coldest part of the country by far, I have learned one thing for sure, always let you cars, turcks, ATVs or what ever warm up or you will pay in the long run.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

I second this!!! It's going to get F'n cold here. -17 at noon central with the wind chill. Sunday and Monday the high is going to be -3 with out the wind.

kwatts400
02-21-2003, 11:36 AM
He's lucky alright. It will bite him in the *** before too long though. Warming your engine up is nothing more than the simple principle of taking care of your stuff. I don't spend 15-20 grand on something to treat it like crap. O- well, just my opinion though.

Blysster
02-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by NDrider
I second this!!! It's going to get F'n cold here. -17 at noon central with the wind chill. Sunday and Monday the high is going to be -3 with out the wind.

We had -52 with the wind chill last week. Your lucky if your car even starts.

XANDADA
02-21-2003, 11:40 AM
I've heard this agrued a lot too. I went to Exxonmobile website outa curiousity and they said this:

Vehicle Warm Up
When starting a vehicle in cold weather allow the engine to idle for a few seconds before driving off to insure proper oil flow and lubrication. Do not allow engine to idle for a prolonged period after start up in cold weather. This practice wastes fuel and does not warm up drive train components. After starts, drive easily for several miles to ensure proper vehicle warm up.

RAGE
02-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Actually you are both right. He's more wrong though.
Idling your vehicle is actually one of the worst things you can do for it. The engine/injection system is not designed to sit still. It won't burn you fuel completely in turn leaving residue inside the cylinder and possibly fouling plugs. HOWEVER, waiting for the starter to stop spinning should not be a sign to put it in gear and go.

DESDAK4
02-21-2003, 11:47 AM
See I just hit the remote starter about 10 min. before I am ready to go and the car is warm when i get to:D

NDrider, this weather could quit any time now I have had enough
:mad:

Jay
USAF
AMMO

400exdad
02-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I have 2 things to say about that. Okay, 3.

1. I have always allowed a warm up time for all of my motors. For my car, I try to stay under 3000 rpm till the motor is at least 130 degrees. However, it is more difficult where I live now, since I need to kind of gas on it to leave my subdivision. I try to get the tranny to shift up quicker and let the torque pull the truck.

2. One of the things I read once said. First, start the car, then "arrange" yourself, buckle up and then shift into gear and pull away. That gives the oil time to get between all the surfaces before applying power or pressure to them. I try to do this and then follow my #1 rule.

3. When I was in high school, I was a real gear head. I used to watch this senior who had an almost new TransAm. It was '81 and the TA was a '78. :) Anyway, everyday this guy would come out of school, start the car, and mat it! You could hear valve noise and all! So, I would normally shake my head and say, "He's gonna blow it up.". Guess what? He did. Doing exactly what I said. All I could do was... :D

NDrider
02-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
See I just hit the remote starter about 10 min. before I am ready to go and the car is warm when i get to:D

NDrider, this weather could quit any time now I have had enough
:mad:

Jay
USAF
AMMO

I agree. It was 45 degrees in Bismarck on Wednesday.

DESDAK4
02-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Yeah I would like to get down to the Desert to ride but the weather is not helpng me out at all.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Sparks425Ex
02-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Let her Warm Up.....I was always told that....

toby400ex
02-21-2003, 03:34 PM
i dont have a truck yet but i would turn it on and let the inside heat up anyway.:o

flyin#5
02-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Rico
For example,,if it's 25 degrees outside would you say its OK to just jump in your car and hammer down the road.

25degrees and im in shorts and a tee shirt! lol but always let your engine warm up in the cold.

QuAdRaCeR244
02-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Nacs425ex
Let her Warm Up.....I was always told that.... Z

yup me too

JustRace
02-21-2003, 04:50 PM
The only time i let mine warm up is when the windows are frosted and i'm to lazy to scrape them. lol

Rip_Tear
02-21-2003, 05:00 PM
What are you talking about RICO, doesnt everyone like their engine to COLD SEIZE ? JK

Some people are crazy... then again I don't usually let my MXZ warm up very long. I just close all the vents on the hood and drive slow for 5 min... It warms up real fast, I really should give it longer.

blood red
02-21-2003, 05:14 PM
I asked my auto shop teacher the same thing and this guy is no dummie, he went to auto school for over 5 years, he just recently retired from CREW CHIEF in WINSTON CUP. He said in cold weather let it warm-up from 2-5 minutes, anytime after 5 minutes is too long. GM, FORD, CHRYSTLER, they all say the same thing. And its not as bad on the newer trucks as it is on the older carburated trucks. He also said newer cars and trucks are designed to be in a 5 minute neutral period, which means it is not meant to be in idle for more than five minutes. It is designed with the time period at which you sit at a stop light. Train, Traffic, Construction, give your car or truck a break, turn it off. Why waste the precious gas. $1.80 a gallon.<oregon>

redroost85
02-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Whoever jumps in or on their ride and immediately hauls off is either rich or a jackazz or both. Now I don't think doing it like the old ladies that live down the street from me. They don't take off in their Buicks and Caddies till the temp inside thier car is like 90 or something! You gotta give at least a little time to get the oil flowing before you romp on'er!:D

mysticfalcon
02-21-2003, 06:38 PM
It was -48 here on before you count the 30 mph wind. There was quite a few people with propan heaters under their cars to get their car to even thinkl about starting while being jumped by a running vehicle. I sure an glad i have a heated garage :) and I let my tuck run for a min or 2 in the summer :)

Chef
02-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by blood red
I asked my auto shop teacher the same thing and this guy is no dummie, he went to auto school for over 5 years, he just recently retired from CREW CHIEF in WINSTON CUP. He said in cold weather let it warm-up from 2-5 minutes, anytime after 5 minutes is too long. GM, FORD, CHRYSTLER, they all say the same thing. And its not as bad on the newer trucks as it is on the older carburated trucks. He also said newer cars and trucks are designed to be in a 5 minute neutral period, which means it is not meant to be in idle for more than five minutes. It is designed with the time period at which you sit at a stop light. Train, Traffic, Construction, give your car or truck a break, turn it off. Why waste the precious gas. $1.80 a gallon.<oregon>

Whats your auto shop teachers name?

loganB
02-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Wen it is 10 below out you have to let it warm up other wise it just dont go.:macho :scary:

02-21-2003, 09:20 PM
If its yours just get it runnin & slam 'er in gear !!:blah
if its mine let it warm 'er up ...
BTW,what KEY?? :huh

blood red
02-22-2003, 12:35 AM
I cant think of his first name, but his last name is Howard. Mr.Howard

RIDER11X
02-22-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Rico

I asked him if he was familiear with the internal workings of a motor and he replied that he worked at a chevy dealer for 6 years and they never told him to warm his car up if it was cold. I responded with...it's a common sense thing..you shouldn't have to be told. :D [/B]

Makes sence! No warm up...........buy more parts, and get more service.:D :D Garages will love it!!!:D

RED121572
02-22-2003, 11:04 AM
Start your beast up, let it idle for 15 seconds and go. Slowly. NEVER let it idle in the mornings for long periods of time.