PDA

View Full Version : 400ex insurance

BeefySTi
06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
anyone insure their ex? if you do, who do you go with and what does it cost? in ohio, i can get a discount for taking a safety course...does the safety course make a big difference in cost? thanks in advance.

ridehonda400ex
06-21-2011, 09:14 PM
I had it on mine, my dad paid for it for me thru his insurance, which at the time was state farm. He only paid like 15 a month and that covered if it got stolen and $100,000 on me and $300,000 on somebody else

CJM
06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I use geico, it basically insures against bodily injury caused to someone else and property damage to someone else. I just carry it so it cant be impounded.

Comprehensive and collision are needed for it to mean much really. Comp covers your injuries and damage to the atv and collision covers well-collisions with another atv.

How much that is IDK, but for the basic bs I got its like 150/yr.

brokenmike
06-22-2011, 05:30 AM
I have progressive and I have an 01 400ex, 86 trx250r , and a 89 trx250r on there and it is only $300 a year for full coverage, fire, theft.

chronicsmoke
06-22-2011, 05:48 AM
haha wow.. my company wanted $800 per machine..

I said ***K THAT! I barely trail ride anyway, so I just ride without it right now.. no way in hell I'm paying $3200 a year for nothing..

ridehonda400ex
06-22-2011, 06:14 AM
I dont even have it anymore since i'm going to be 16 i need that 15 a month toward the ridiculously expensive insurance payment...ah well im just getting liability lol

kt1148
06-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Allstate $108/yr. Main reason I insured was for theft, my brothers 700xx was stolen and never recovered:grr:

chronicsmoke
06-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by kt1148
Allstate $108/yr. Main reason I insured was for theft, my brothers 700xx was stolen and never recovered:grr:

That's all I wanted!

The company looked up the models of the quads and said "they are all dangerous off road racing vehicles" 800$ a pop..

Somebody could pull up to the shop and make away with all 4 and I'd be SOL..

All I do now is ride private land/race on private land.. BUT I can't go and use the nice trails that are an hour away through the old logging roads in Quebec which is a bummer, but say 1600 to insure 2 quads, and only go trailing once?

Makes for an expensive riding trip...

kbnorth99
06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
I have been thinking about it. I am with USAA but they broker through Geico so it's probably about the same. I can't recall the exact amount but around $250 a year.

CJM's description of Comp and Collision is not quite right. Here's the break down (I worked as an insurance adjuster for a few years)...

Collision - Covers damage to your quad caused by collisions. You run into another quad, or a car, or a house, etc. including if someone else hits your quad. Whether it's moving or not that's all collision. This covers your damages only.

Comprehensive - Covers damage to your quad caused by most everything that doesn't count as collision. Your house burns down and the quad goes with it, flooding, something falls or flies into your quad (like a tree branch falls and hits it).

Some things are kinda fuzzy between Comp and Collision because of the way the vehicle is used, so you need to read the policy carefully, or ask an agent how they classify these things. Some things that would be considered Comp with a car may be considered Collision with a quad because it is an off road vehicle many things that you may hit wouldn't be on road or highway so it makes the definition less clear.

Finally Liability - This covers the damage that is caused to SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY. Comp and Collision only cover your property and Liability only cover's someone else's property. Liability coverage will have limits. That's what RideHonda was referring to. You can choose these limits and it will have an effect on the cost of the policy. The first limit will be the amount paid for any one accident for Property Damage. That's someone's quad or truck or house or protective gear, etc. The second and third numbers will be the limits for Bodily Injury. This covers the medical bills and lost wages if you injure someone.

So if your Liability coverage is $50k $100k/$300 that means that if you have a collision with 4 other people, your policy will pay a maximum of $50k to repair their property and a maximum of $100k for any one person's injuries but not to exceed $300k for everyone's injuries. So if all 4 people had $100k worth of injuries, that would exceed $300k and everyone would get a portion of their injuries covered.

The liability is normally the most important part of your vehicle insurance because people will sue you if you harm them. But in the case of off road vehicles the liability may or may not be covered as part of your homeowner's insurance so check with your agent there as well.

I know this is probably more info that anyone wanted but when I was an insurance adjuster the most common reason people got ticked off at us was because they thought they were covered but they just misunderstood how the policy worked.

I hope this helps.:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

CJM
06-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Ha! I just checked how much it would be to add comp/collision to my policy since geico can do a quote right online and they email you the price. $538 dollars! Thats with comp/collision with a 500 dollar deductible! They had 1000 dollar deductible too!

For the hell of it Im gonna do 500 comp and see what they say. Why I even carry the insurance IDK anymore, I just wanted it registered b/c in NJ your treated like a criminal and to register it you need to insure it. Ill report back when they email me just how much lol. NJ its illegal to ride pretty much everywhere including your own property in many places!

For the record my driving record isnt that great but I only pay 800/yr for a 26yo make driver with a few accidents and violations in NJ for just liability on a 15yo truck. For NJ and with my driving record thats pretty dang cheap! Wish it was cheaper but having had a job where you drive alot meant you wind up getting into accidents due to idiots out there since your on the road 12-18 hours a day. 17yo kids driving a family sedan it can be 3 grand and thats just basic liability!

kbnorth99
06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ha! I just checked how much it would be to add comp/collision to my policy since geico can do a quote right online and they email you the price. $538 dollars! Thats with comp/collision with a 500 dollar deductible! They had 1000 dollar deductible too!

I don't think I will carry collision on mine. I'm probably just going to carry liability and maybe comp so I'm covered for theft and I don't loose my house when some jackwagon comes over a hill without looking and tries to say it's my fault. I can see them excluding a lot of damages from collision because of what we do with the quads. Things like damage that occurs "...during or as a part of a speed contest...". Well on a quad that's a real gray area. Or "...damage caused by the willful intent of the operator...". I can see jumps being excluded there. I don't know if these exclusions are in an atv policy but these are standard exclusions in pretty much all auto policies.

CJM
06-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Honestly there can be no proof of how an accident transpired unless you injury another party or are taken away for medical care while out riding.

I could case a jump wrong and smash it to bits and claim I hit an tree somehow or another whatever and they wouldnt know the wiser

chronicsmoke
06-22-2011, 01:39 PM
my buddy wrapped his 700xx around a tree while maxed out in 5th gear.. spent a little over a month in ICU (He was a big boy, 300+lbs, and now he's 170!!:eek: )

But the insurance gave him 6400 for his 2008.. and I dont know if he ever got any money for lost wages but he was pretty happy just to get the 6400 back! Left over 08's are even cheaper than that!

Thats why insurance is so expensive haha.. but the Insurance company made away still pretty good for 6400.. they could have been out big money if he would have injured somebody in the mean time..

Moral of the story, dont ride tapped out when it's 3AM down a tight trail.

Stickman400
06-22-2011, 01:58 PM
I have State Farm and all I have is medical and I pay about $80 a year. And I've put in my fair share of claims on that too.

CJM
06-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Man NJ really socks it to you that or its geico (not to many other choices here in NJ for quad insurance anyways).

Just comp and liability they quoted me 428 dollars with a 500 deductible. Ok thats insane!

kbnorth99
06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Man NJ really socks it to you that or its geico (not to many other choices here in NJ for quad insurance anyways).

Just comp and liability they quoted me 428 dollars with a 500 deductible. Ok thats insane!

$428 per month or per year?

CJM
06-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by kbnorth99
$428 per month or per year?

Per year of course. Per month Id call them up going wtf.

kbnorth99
06-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Per year of course. Per month Id call them up going wtf.

Actually what I meant to ask was per year or per 6 months but I dohnt tipe sooo guud sumtymes.

Still that's about double what I think I was quoted for full coverage with a $250 deductible. They really do stick it to you NJ guys.

CJM
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by kbnorth99
Actually what I meant to ask was per year or per 6 months but I dohnt tipe sooo guud sumtymes.

Still that's about double what I think I was quoted for full coverage with a $250 deductible. They really do stick it to you NJ guys.

Yea, its a year not 6 months.

Problem is NJ just stinks period for insurance among other things. Due to my old job I have on my record 3 known accidents-and a ticket a few months ago for bs. Strangely my car insurance never went up. How your car driving record impacts your atv insurance IDK tho.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Mine is around $50/yr, but I'm in my 30's and have my house, life, and 2 cars insured with state farm.

BeefySTi
06-24-2011, 09:22 AM
i think i am just gonna give my insurance guy a call. not sure if my current company covers power sports, but I hope they do, because I already have 3 cars and a house on the plan, so I should get a discount. I am just curious about this ATV safety course. the closest one to me are like a hour a way and cost liek $150 to do it. So i would have to save at least that much a year to justify it. just want to get some kinda coverage before i (hopefully not) wreck it and do some damage to it. or someone thieves it from me... I am thinking it shouldn't be more than 100$ a year, I have not had a ticket in 10 years, I am 27, married, which all contribute to low premiums.

brokenmike
06-28-2011, 05:25 AM
I just added my 1986 ATC 250R to my policy and it only cost me $75 for full coverage. I already have 01- 400ex, 86- Trx 250R and a 89-Trx 250R on the policy already and all with full coverage. $100 deductible for theft and $250 deductible for collision

CJM
06-28-2011, 06:03 AM
^ What company do you have?

brokenmike
06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
I have progressive and I live in New Jersey. So that's 4 bikes on my policy and I pay about $375 a year for all 4.

CJM
06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Thats nuts, Im gonna have to see if they will cover me for just an atv policy.

Edit: Wow, almost the same price and I actually get some kinda coverage. Im gonna call them to be sure its correct and cancel the geico if its what they quoted me online.

Thanks!