PDA

View Full Version : yfzr big problem!!!

checkout17
06-21-2011, 05:36 PM
yfzr.....yfzr problem 09'

Ok so here it goes..i was racing an mx race and the motor was running fine until I pulled off the track and the quad just stopped…thought the quad just choked out and then thought the battery might of messed up until I tried to turn the motor over by hand the motor was locked up?

So when I got home started to pull the top end off and as I got lower and lower everything seemed fine..so I pulled the stator side cover and found out that the inner lining of the flywheel started peeling back and caught the stator in the cover..the crank was fine though with no play at all and not warped on the end and the flywheel is not moving up and down

So I put all new stock parts including flywheel, stator, piston rings, cam chain, gaskets…the quad cranked up fine and sounded good and ran fine…rode it a couple of minutes and shut it off and then it hesitated to crank but cranked and ran fine…then after a couple of more time it would not turn good over at all by the starter but would turn by hand good…pulled the cap off and checked exhaust cam decompression and it checked out fine…got a new battery cause thought mine was bad..and got the right one for it too and the expensive one! Put it in and rode it at an mx track and it ran fine as I was riding it hard..

At the end of the day it was getting hard to crank and then would not crank at all…but jump started it and it still ran fine! No sounds at all! The starter sounded like it would just bind up and not turn the motor over…so at home I pulled the cover off and again the flywheel started to peel off…but it was no where near as bad you could see the lining want to come off…the stator was fine…and now the starter was actually very hard to turn by hand so its messed up not too!..starter clutch feels fine though! Although the starter dampner piece has some play forward and back…not sure if its supposed to be that way?? It looked like it just gets extremely too much electricity because its like its burning it into it.
So my question why is this happening?

cannondale27
06-22-2011, 07:44 PM
I heard of one guy who deleted his stock key switch and used only a start button and tether instead.Problem is the wiring for the fan temp switch runs through key switch and he had that circuit combined with start button.What happens is when cool starts and runs fine but once up to temp where fan would normally kick on the starter kicks on also.Starter running while motor is running can turn your starter into a generator and surely could cause major electrical issues.Maybe thats something similar to your problem?

checkout17
06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
i had discussed that with a friend on the same thing...but i have not cut into the harnes at all and it doesnt even have a kill switch..think i might look at the harness some more and check my celenoid out some too! along with the starter button!

thanks!!!