PDA

View Full Version : exhaust blown apart?

woodsracer144
06-21-2011, 12:38 PM
so I was working on my walsh got my spare motor in it so i could get some testing done and I'm running e85 and I rolled the motor over once and then kicked it hard and it sounded like a shot gun went off, looked down at my pipe and it was dis connected at the cylinder flange and the middle part, its a sparks MX and it had all the springs on it, I've never had this ever happen to me, it bent the pipe all to hell and blew the center part of the scilencer out
the back some...

anyone know why the heck that happened, im guessing there was ignition in the pipe but i dont know why or how.

I had this set up running fine all winter, i understand i should be on the rich side of things now but it should still run and not blow the exhaust all apart.

I'm running OE igniton and everything is in time. no advancemets or anything.

DnB_racing
06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
hows your timing?and is the silencer fresh packed

woodsracer144
06-21-2011, 01:20 PM
timing and all that is good, i just got this sparks from steve250r i had a LRD team B on it before this. and that worked fine.

hartwill
06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I had this problem with mine. The sparks pipe actually uses yz250 springs on the expansion chamber and trx springs on the header pipe. The yz springs are much stronger. Mine would blow apart in the middle so hard it would come disconnected from the exhauast flange too. Also make sure you seal it up good with high temp silicone.
If your not happy with the pipe and want to sell it let me know..:D

hartwill
06-21-2011, 01:39 PM
They like to do this when your plug is about ready to foul out. Before I knew about the yz springs I actually had to run some small self tappers into my expansion chamber just so I could finish riding, that fixed it for sure. Never blew the packing out of my silencer though.

Why are you running e-85? Is your carb set up to run this? This may be a huge part of your problem..

woodsracer144
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I run e85 for many reasons cheap and gain power are the main two and I have a carb set up for this also.

I have some really heavy springs from a hardware store that make you bout bust a nut putting them on the dang thing.

hartwill
06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Was it sealed up good with silicone?

woodsracer144
06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
No I hate that stuff

hartwill
06-21-2011, 06:33 PM
I'd say that's Probly what happened then, had some unburnt fuel in there, sucked in some fresh air and kablewie. You said it bent it all up? Post some pics..

woodsracer144
06-21-2011, 07:32 PM
They are on my cell and wont post im on break at work at the moment, post them in the morning