PDA

View Full Version : Switching to bikes

madskrillz2
06-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah call me a sell out if you want but right now it just seems like the best thing for me to do. For one, we're pretty much confined to our friends private tracks because everyone has done away with quads. Then the only tracks that do let us ride once in awhile are 3 or more hours away. What it all boils down to is money. A bike will be much more affordable right now and will be something new for a change. Anyone else in the same boat or has already made the switch? I'd like to hear how hard/easy the switch was.

BlaineKaiser450
06-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Do it! You won't regret it. I was in the EXACT same situation last year, and got a bike last september. I put a thumb throttle on it and have been doing fine. Ive been riding about 10 months and I'm almost in the same spot on the bike that i was on the quad. For example, 2 weeks ago i did an almost 100 foot triple. It doesn't take too long to get used to the bikes. The best thing about it though, I have spent $54 in parts on my dirt bike other than gas and oil, and I ride at least once a week.. They are much more reliable IMO

muddy400EX
06-21-2011, 05:27 AM
a thumb throttle? wtf? isnt that really weird?

ive always wanted to switch to bikes for the same reason, theres so much easier to find a spot to ride

i had a 125 when i was 15 for a few months, and started to get a kinda used to it. but it just feels so wierd being high off the ground

Canadian144
06-21-2011, 07:40 AM
I don't ride tracks, so fortunately I had 50 acres of my family's land and 200 acres of a neighbour who lives next to our farm's land to ride on. So pretty much anything goes haha.

I do have both, a bike (well two) and a quad. Both are definitely fun... if I was in your shoes and I could not continue to ride anymore with a quad, I would sell it and move to a bike.

I'd say not to do the thumb throttle on a bike. Try to get used to the twist throttle, it works much better on a bike. Just like how I feel that a thumb throttle works much better on a quad. It all has to do with the mechanics of how the machine goes around corners really.

Good luck with whatever you do! I'd say to keep your eyes out for a two stroke bike, they are so much cheaper to maintain and so much more fun to ride.

Ruby Soho
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
i left quads years ago, nothing against them just enjoy bikes more now.. my brother picked up a quad though so i can still hop on his anytime i wanna ride one lol..

just do it man, if you dont like it get rid of it and buy another quad

muddy400EX
06-21-2011, 09:49 AM
how long did it take you to really feel comfortable on it? i always felt like i was gonna slide out,lol

fastredrider44
06-21-2011, 11:04 AM
For someone that can ride a fourwheeler, it will take a few hours before you feel good on one. Then you will lay it over trying something you shouldn't have. I'm the opposite. I grew up on bikes, but always wanted to ride quads. Now I race quads but I still ride bikes quite a bit.
Thumbers on a bike aren't all that uncommon, but i will be the first to say i can ride a bike a whole lot better with a twist than a quad with a twist.

BlaineKaiser450
06-21-2011, 11:04 AM
The thumb throttle works perfect and feels 100% natural to me. I like it because it seems easier to get on the throttle out of corners and stuff. I know I would never ever go back to a twist now, they felt super akward, and I even gave myself time to get used to it.

Ruby Soho
06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
you just have to put some seat time in.

guaranteed in a week youll be as fast on the bike as you were on the quad.

madskrillz2
06-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I'll be keeping a twist. I actually already have a bike and have gotten fairly used to it. I'm already used to using the twist so that shouldn't be a problem. I have an 06 KX450 right now but I'm looking to trade with somebody for a 250f. The 450 is just a little too much right now. Not that I can't handle it, I just think the learning curve will be a lot faster if I get a 250. If I sale the quad, I'll most likely be going half in on a RZR XP with my dad or brother.

Ruby Soho
06-21-2011, 02:27 PM
250f's are a blast, if your used to riding your 450 the 250 is going to feel like a toy.

your good to go man!

madskrillz2
06-21-2011, 09:01 PM
That's what I'm thinking. Seems like I could get around on a track a whole lot better. Right now anyway

Ruby Soho
06-21-2011, 10:13 PM
ive ridden both 250s and 450s on the track, and i enjoy the 250 more. lighter and you can ride it to its potential.

good luck getting everything out of that 450... just to much

madskrillz2
06-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Yeah that's why I'm trying to trade it.