PDA

View Full Version : valve clicking noise question...

fish22
06-20-2011, 03:20 PM
hey guys,
I took the 400 out for an afternoon ride at my friends hunting lease, and i noticed in 3-5 gear, when you are on the throttle there is a clicking noise, It sounds like it could be the valves, but heres my question:

If the valves are out of spec, and make the clicking sound, will you hear it when the quad is setting and idling? will you hear it in all gears? high RPMs?

because when its in neutral and idling it sounds perfect, when you rev it up no clicking, when your going fast in 3-5th its there.
Im unsure of the actual valve clicking sounds because ive never had my valves click on other quads....

I think maybe it could be something loose somewhere that makes the clicking sound, but i just put brand new expensive oil in it ride before the ride so im hesitant to dump it and adjust the valves if thats not the clicking.....

info on my quad:
-stock motor
-FMF pipe
-K&N
-42/158 jets
-mobil 1 synthetic 15w50
-new plug, oil, gas, battery as of yesterday.

hocman123
06-20-2011, 03:46 PM
well i think it would make the sound all the time if it were the valves but if u have never checked them then that def the first thing u should do and there is no need to drain the oil out to check the valves. the link below will tell how to do it better then i can

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

Ntensweapon
06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
possibly transmission problems

fish22
06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
well my rear caliper is loose, maybe its making that noise....?

426kidz
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
possible...tighten everything up! But if its your valves smacking than it will indeed do it in every gear and even at an idle.there could be so many things that are loose so make sure you go through everything and check! worse comes to worse just drain your fluid into a clean container and re-use it. make all the right inspections before going internal!:macho

punk rock kiel
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
i belive mine is making the same. but all of a sudden it wouldnt run, i adjusted the valves with the hot cam and made um 5 on both cause i only had one shim and now it clicks. but i heard with a hot cam, clicking is more, my lash was too tight before and i think thats why i didnt hear it.

i also dont hear it at idle.