PDA

View Full Version : LTR Front end Conversion

Zryder85
06-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Is anybody using the LTR front end conversion made by Walsh, JB and Atv Four Play?? Been thinking about running this set up, but I havent heard much about it. It supposed make the trx handle like a dream.

scotturban
06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
apparently its suppose to make the hondas turn a lot better, I know the pro mx can-am team also uses some suzuki ltr450 parts on there front end, that they dont really make public,

Zryder85
06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes, I know about some of the can am Pros using the Ltr components. They told me it really helps using them. I want to try the JB stuff just wanted to know if anybody had some ride reports.

hawaiiysr
06-21-2011, 12:45 AM
What's up with JB? They ever answer the phone or what? Getting tired of calling them and hearing the answering machine

hrc450er
06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
i posted this topic about a year back and the answer i got was its about like using the 04 05 style spindles. not much of an improvement over them. for the money they said just get the 05 stuff and be done

Zryder85
06-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Well I was told this is supposed to handle better than the 05 spindles and hubs. I guess the geometry of the spindles isn different. Also there is supposed to be less bump steer because the flag is relocated on the new stem.

hawaiiysr, When you call leave a message. They willl call back.

tito450r
06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I run the JB LTR TRX front end and its a huge advantage over running stock spindle setup on LSR. Better cornering and super precise handling. I have the setup with PEP PB1's and is the best I think for mx.

Kovatch
06-24-2011, 09:28 AM
The LTR style front end makes a big difference over the TRX set up. You can really corner harder and quicker with the LTR set up. I'm neither a Pro nor a Pro-AM, but I can tell the difference for sure.

I've ridden JB/TRX spindles on PB-1s and JB/LTR on PB-1s. Awesome ride, but there is a noticeable difference.

JB makes some great products. You would not be upset running their stuff. Powercoating holds up pretty good for MX too. Jodi does one hellava good job.

Zryder85
06-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the response, thats what I was looking for. I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing this in the future. Just need to save up some cash for it now.

Zryder85
07-05-2011, 03:01 PM
To the people using this set up, what shocks are you using?

eastside 400
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
it uses the same shock spec as the honda LT front end, i believe only the upper a-arm is different along with the stem and tierods and of course spindles and everything

IRONFLIGHT2
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
i know this is a old post but im just curious if anyone running this set up can actually tell me some caster camber and toe in specs they are running bc i just recently put on this front end and so far its the worst mistake ive made

fmfhonda250r
09-05-2012, 02:21 PM
I have a walsh ltr front end with pb1's. Best front end by far i have ever had. 0 toe in, 5.5 caster, 1.5 camber

IRONFLIGHT2
09-05-2012, 02:26 PM
thats pretty much where im at ill double check

fmfhonda250r
09-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I know when i got my shocks from wayne at pep he has a different setting for using ltr spindles even know the shocks are the same leangh. The valving is different.

3leggeddog
09-06-2012, 05:32 AM
your deffinitley gonna have to play with shock settings and of course caster/camber settings.

Remember your shocks are gonna be just as important as a good caster, camber, toe setup. If they are not letting the bike track good, your setup is worthless.

I couldnt tell you my degree's off the top of my head for my caster/camber. I know i'm at 1/16" toe in. I could check tonight if your that interested in comparing.

What is the bike doing? Pushing? rolling too much? twitchy? bump steer? Give us some symptons and maybe we can narrow it down a little.

B ROB

IRONFLIGHT2
09-06-2012, 07:18 AM
my shocks have been done for this set up before i rode it and now ive been playing with the caster and camber as of right now it handles like crap rolls/ pushes but i just added more camber and going to give it a shot ill let you guys know how i make out.... my biggest concern is that the front heim ends are burried in the aarms with no room left for adjustment so if it isnt right now theres nothing left to do other than shave a quarter inch off the aarms in order to add more adjustability.....and yes its correct ive checked it a 100 times over been working on this front end for 2 weeks to try and get it right

3leggeddog
09-06-2012, 10:14 AM
what type of shocks?

What a arms?

I would try less camber. The tires will camber in under compression. If your on the side of the tire it's gonna push.

Set the toe and camber at zero. make some big changes and see if it's better or worse.

how does it feel at high speeds?

ltothaj1
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
what type of LTR components do you use for this setup? i jus saw this post and im intrigued lol..thanks

hrc450er
09-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Your ride height from front to rear will affect steering also. If your rear sits alot lower than the front the quad will push.

desratt
09-15-2012, 04:40 PM
lonestar now makes spindles for this set up. the laeger protrax is another option for improved steering.

FHKracingZ
09-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Your shocks are not the same spec. The LTR setup requieres a 1/4'' longer shock. For example on my Walsh LTR setup for my trx it used a 20.25'' shock compared to the normal 20''. I know that Fox and PEP are aware of this, not sure about the others.

2001400exrida
09-17-2012, 08:37 AM
I've been looking into some wider a arms for FT and TT racing. This looks like it would be a real affordable swap. Thank you for the information. I'm planning to run the stock legnth shocks in hopes that the shorter shock will set me down a bit lower.

Balaz_73*00
09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
I've been looking into some wider a arms for FT and TT racing. This looks like it would be a real affordable swap. Thank you for the information. I'm planning to run the stock legnth shocks in hopes that the shorter shock will set me down a bit lower.

I think you are misunderstanding. It's not a direct swap

fmfhonda250r
09-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I checked my pb1's last night for my ltr front end and they are infact 20.25.

2001400exrida
09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
i understand completely balaz. I understand there is some modifying required. That's why i appreciate this thread.

It's definitely worth it in my opinion especially because i can get my hands on stock ltr a arms for dirt cheap. with a little fabricating i'll be running a wider front end for half the price.

FHKracingZ
09-17-2012, 06:25 PM
There is no modifications required just ordering the correct setup.

You need:

Aftermarket a-arms ordered FOR your honda FOR a LTR front end

LTR Hubs, spindles, and brake calipers.

and a 20.25'' shock.

Thats all ya need.

Balaz_73*00
09-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but I'm almost certain you cant take stock suzuki arms and mount then on a trx. You need specific suzuki geometry arms built for a honda. So you statement of getting stock suzuki arms for dirt cheap and using them is incorrect. i also thought you need a differnt stem.

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 07:28 AM
I'll correct you, you're wrong, you can take stock ltr a arms and mount them to a honda. It does take modifying, but if you search the forums like the org you will find several guys that are doing it. Some replace the mounts with heim joints, or others do a little shaving from the a arm to get it to line up with the mount.

chronicsmoke
09-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I'll correct you, you're wrong, you can take stock ltr a arms and mount them to a honda. It does take modifying, but if you search the forums like the org you will find several guys that are doing it. Some replace the mounts with heim joints, or others do a little shaving from the a arm to get it to line up with the mount.

Yes you can, but you can't tell me it will work as well as the legit setups do.

You have to get custom shocks made and the builders don't have your bike's custom front end in front of them to make the shocks work correctly.. If they had your bike at their facility they could probably get you setup right.

Can it be done, Yes. Is it the right way, No.

I'd buy the conversion

blaster12s
09-18-2012, 08:26 AM

bahahahahahaha. good luck, you might be able to build it but its gonna handle like ****t

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 08:36 AM
it's been done plenty of times before. just do a search man, it's not a new thing, lol.

ltothaj1
09-18-2012, 09:27 AM
so this is an MX ONLY setup right? do u think it would work for XC if i order the same stuff for shorter arms?

chronicsmoke
09-18-2012, 10:52 AM
it's been done plenty of times before. just do a search man, it's not a new thing, lol.

I think he meant to say that it can be done but won't handle as well, not that it can't physically be done.

If it was such a tried/tested setup then there would be more people doing it, but the only feedback available is from guys that did it themselves and have nothing to compare it to.

I was going to go that route and use 18.5" shocks off of the KTM SX and get them reworked, but I figured out what would have to be done and how much it would end up costing for a setup that could still be rendered 'subpar'

Long story short I bought a LT Houser front end and have been satisfied. It's always much easier running something actually designed for your machine. And you know it will work right after..

I'll correct you, you're wrong

This is what people have an issue with btw..

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't see any issues chronic, lay off the pipe man, and keep my quotes out of your posts, we don't need you bringing your drama over here, i'm very tired of you following me around the forums. This is a learning thread, if you want to give input, by all means give input, but if you're just here to start a reply to my post just to be a know it all, please go away. I think i speak for the OP and myself by saying we are interested in the experienced guys, the ones who have done it.

I understand it hasn't been tested or proven but it has been done several times and the guys that have done it, do have other setups to compare it to. I would post links to the threads i'm referring too but they are on a different forum and i think that's against the terms of service.

I'm not looking to do this for MX or XC, i'm looking to do it for TT, it seems like a very easy way to widen the front and also if i used shorter shocks such as the stock 450 shocks it would have me sitting lower as well. This is all based on a couple threads i read. I have no knowlegde of how this holds up as far as MX or XC goes, but i do know several have done it for that application as well.

blaster12s
09-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't see any issues chronic, lay off the pipe man,

lay off the personal attacks, that's just rude and childish. If you want to hack up your bike and put something that will give you incorrect roll centers "the key to a good TT bike" be my guest, your idea is bad, deal with it, save your money and do it correctly.

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 11:25 AM
well his name is chronicsmoke, i don't consider it a personal attack to say lay off the pipe, lol. it's a given, muahahaha.

here's what i'm talking about people, guys are running fox floats on them, they are running jet suspension with them......it's been tested in my opinion or else i wouldn't be considering it.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/94-suspension-chassis-drivetrain/172549-ltr-stnd-travel-fox-shocks-450r.html

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/94-suspension-chassis-drivetrain/189195-ltr-arms-my-honda.html

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/106-trx450r-org-project-quads/195061-mx-build-budget-w-ltr450-arms.html

blaster12s
09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
your the one on the pipe if your gonna do something that time consuming for stock ltr arms.

Balaz_73*00
09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by blaster12s
If you want to hack up your bike and put something that will give you incorrect roll centers "the key to a good TT bike" be my guest, your idea is bad, deal with it, save your money and do it correctly.

x2

I still stand by my statement that set you off as being correct.

Your links do nothing more than prove that this is not a "swap"

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by blaster12s
your the one on the pipe if your gonna do something that time consuming for stock ltr arms.

obviously i'm not the only one who's looking into doing this and don't get me wrong the walsh conversion is definitely beneficial, i'm just noting that there are guys who have done this without the conversion, and they have had success.

chronicsmoke
09-18-2012, 12:18 PM
well his name is chronicsmoke, i don't consider it a personal attack to say lay off the pipe, lol. it's a given, muahahaha.
[/url]

Whatever Ryan, do as you wish. You clearly know more than everyone else..

And I only smoke bong by the way, so get it right.. but its still healthier than having your large intestine filled by your BF everynight, like you, Ryan.

I wasn't attacking you earlier.. Just sayign that that is what people have an issue with, which it is.

I'm unsubbed from this anyway, reply and show how you're right again.

PCE:bandit:

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 12:27 PM
there should be no harm in my interest in this. It's not hurting anything, people have done it, i'm trying to look into it myself. Sure to some it may be a waste of time, and it may not perform, but who really knows that besides the people that have done it. EXACTLY.

chronicsmoke
09-18-2012, 12:33 PM
there should be no harm in my interest in this. It's not hurting anything, people have done it, i'm trying to look into it myself. Sure to some it may be a waste of time, and it may not perform, but who really knows that besides the people that have done it. EXACTLY.

No harm at all, I also looked into it extensively (as stated earlier) so I am familiar with what you're talking about.. *edit: I spoke with a guy that was doing it (450rt??) and he walked me through it.. you need new heims which are 50 bucks a piece, + the cost of the arms, + the cost of the stock WP shocks, and then revalve them (which will be significant $ because the WP shock GEO is waaayyy off)

I'm just not convinced it will work as well as the JB/Walsh setups.. Which I believe was the point others were alluding to.

The cost of a the front end I got (Houser/Stadium) and the LTR/KTM shock combo I was looking at would have been similar in cost but one was already a proven setup, which made my decision for me.

That is my experience.

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 01:13 PM
yeah 450tr, that's the guy i've been communicating with too. he says he likes the setup. he wasn't running WP shocks though, i've seen several different shocks with these a arms.