PDA

View Full Version : Long Travel Shocks

JONATHANSANDERS
06-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I am shopping for a long travel setup. Looking for some feedback on the best setup(arms and shocks) I am not sure which way to go Fox, Motowoz or elkas and which arms JB,4 play,dc,SMS .please help
I don't want to be sorry after I spend the money. Thanks

zach R 7x
06-20-2011, 04:52 AM
those are all good suspension companies that have good products out on the market today, the difference is the cost and shock combo's .
I am bias on SMS , we ran there Lt set up for 2 yrs and had good success with the Elka Lt shocks.
But I have seen the others in action and they work good also. Good Luck!

Logan #34's Dad
06-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I've only ran the DC with Elka set up. It works very very well.
Depending on your budget, last years 70cvt National Champion Travis Wotring used modified stock a-arms with long travel shocks. His Dad Steve simply changed the shock mounting position on the lower a-arm to accept the longer shock. The biggest advantage besides the low cost is there are no set up issues - as far as keeping the geometry correct. The way they come is right.
Just my 2 cents. If I had to do it again - I'd run the modified stock set-up.

nastynotchback1
06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I like the DC arms.We run Elka's but when funds allow i will be getting a set of Motowoz.

Rich243
06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
We have the DC / Elka setup and have been very pleased.

DAVYS DAD
06-20-2011, 02:17 PM
PM sent

fastrnrik
06-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Depending on your budget, last years 70cvt National Champion Travis Wotring used modified stock a-arms with long travel shocks. His Dad Steve simply changed the shock mounting position on the lower a-arm to accept the longer shock. The biggest advantage besides the low cost is there are no set up issues - as far as keeping the geometry correct. The way they come is right.

I like that idea. Simple, cheap & effective.

raidernut
06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Our atv four play Fox DSC Float set up is the best handling mini quad in rough terrain i have ever seen, and trust me we have tried them all in the last 7 years.

hanker
06-21-2011, 08:15 AM
IMO. Good shocks are good shocks anything is better then the stock ones. It all depends on who you are sponsored by if they are really good or not. We're not sponsored by any of them. But we like the DC/Elka set up.:)

skyeryder
06-21-2011, 07:03 PM

Anyone have a picture of this just out of curiousity

raidernut
06-21-2011, 10:06 PM
whatever works for ya, but me personally im not willing to risk my sons safety jumping high into the air and landing on thin wall taiwanese junk steel a-arms. Ill spend the extra dough for the strength as well as the proper geometry.

Logan #34's Dad
06-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Do a Youtube search of Travis Wotring. You'll be able to see the set up in action. It must work, they whipped all our butts last year in the 70cvt class. Travis's dad is on this forum (Steven423) I believe. He will weld yours the same as his for a small fee. Then all you need is the LT shocks. Save $$$$.

raidernut
06-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Not saying they wont or dont work, just saying ive seen them fold in half more than once. For the price people sell used aftermarket arms for in the classified section, in my opinion id go that route.

and as far as the geometry being right on the stockers, i have to disagree. Ive seen the specs, and watched Fox run them through their suspension dyno machines at their factory, they are far from perfect. The poor geometry of the stockers was the reason why Fox decided to scrap the stock DRR replacement shock project that we tested with a while back. Another factor is that we all know that these frames are not the best of quality. without having all the adjustments of the aftermarket arms, it is nearly impossible to square up these machines and get the proper caster for best performance and handling.

My guess is that Mr. Wotrings mechanical abilities, and his sons riding style is why they kick butt, and not his modified stockers.

T@AFP
06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by JONATHANSANDERS
I am shopping for a long travel setup. Looking for some feedback on the best setup(arms and shocks) I am not sure which way to go Fox, Motowoz or elkas and which arms JB,4 play,dc,SMS .please help
I don't want to be sorry after I spend the money. Thanks

Your last sentence says it all.

I'm with Mark (raidernut) on not modifying the stock a arms for several reasons. Not because we build parts for the DRR.
But they were not designed and engineered for that.

By moving the shock mounts and not adding any width to the arms doesn't make it stable at high speed corners. It may land better on a jump. But theres more to a race track than landing big jumps.The caster will not be adjustable. Which for sure the stock caster degree on the DRR is not optimal for today's race machines. Especially at the speeds these kids are moving.

The camber will to not be adjustable.

The stock ball joints are not designed for the added travel with longer shocks. Meaning they are more liikely to bind. Possibly resulting in my kid cart wheeling across a track when the fail. No thanks

We have all seen what happens when we add more travel to the A arms and keeping a stock steering stem. THEY FAIL

And now you think by moving the shock mounts to acheive more travel is safe and compeditive against a PROVEN, engineered, high quality chromoly steel tubing fully TIG welded A arm with PROVEN high quality, engineered ball joints.

I don't think so.

Another thing I agree with Mark is. Travis on anything fast is a winner. The kid is smooth and a smart rider. His dad is an amazing tuner. They are a great team.
The suspension his dad built, May of helped him win it. But imagine if he was on a good aftermarket set of arms.

I don't like putting my opinion out here. Because I'm sure this will upset some. But I just couldn't take it anymore.

Tom

WISH1965
06-22-2011, 11:26 AM
I have the DC set up with Motowoz front & back on our DRR. It is a wonderful set up. However, after what I spent versus the Steve W. set, if I could do it again I would save some $$ & do the Steve W. set up. Many quads here in the PA & NJ area have this set up or similar & they all are all at the front!!!!! If fabricated properly it works well.

After two years of racing the CVT mini quad scene, the one thing I have learned is there is so much hype out there for various products, everything from motors, suspensions, shocks, clutches, pipes, etc. etc. It's no wonder there is an exodus of people going towards shifter classes.

In my opinion it is 75% rider & 25% machine!!

joe0718
06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Those high dollar high quality A-arms are still being bolted to a thin wall taiwanese junk steel frame. Just my opinion though. :D

nastynotchback1
06-23-2011, 06:16 AM
I would prefer aftermarket arms verses modified stock anyday just for the safety.Wonder why someone has not built a frame from better quality material.I know i would buy one.

Logan #34's Dad
06-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
I would prefer aftermarket arms verses modified stock anyday just for the safety.Wonder why someone has not built a frame from better quality material.I know i would buy one.

Because the frame would not be legal to run in the production class. That would make it a Modified frame.
I've always said, the 1st company (DRR,Apex,Polaris,Dinli - cvt) that builds their frame out of chromoly will put the others out of business.

nastynotchback1
06-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Because the frame would not be legal to run in the production class. That would make it a Modified frame.
I've always said, the 1st company (DRR,Apex,Polaris,Dinli - cvt) that builds their frame out of chromoly will put the others out of business.

Even if it was built to the exact specs but just out of better material?

Logan #34's Dad
06-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
Even if it was built to the exact specs but just out of better material?

Yep!

nastynotchback1
06-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Yep!

I understand there(ama)point but dang it seems like a safety issue to me.I put so many gussets on our frame that it probably weighs 100 more pounds lol

WISH1965
06-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Look at it this way.....when your done racing it, use the frame as a boat anchor :)

nastynotchback1
06-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by WISH1965
Look at it this way.....when your done racing it, use the frame as a boat anchor :)

Naw then i would have to buy a boat and thats the only thing in this world thats harder to keep running then a cvt!

WISH1965
06-23-2011, 08:58 AM
your spot on with that !!!!

JIM GRACE
06-24-2011, 07:25 PM
We ran a high dollar a arm set up last year and switched to the modded stock arms this year. The rider likes them better.

Travis has removed any doubt on that set Up as far as reliability and so has most of the District 6 racers that also run them.

JONATHANSANDERS
06-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I went with DC pro series arms and motowoz shocks. Thanks