PDA

View Full Version : Basic pvl questions

o4twinpeaks
06-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Of what is the difference in the digital and analog pvls? Analog to me is like the speedometer on a car and digital is like the display on the radio. How dose this relate to the ignition system?

mmsoup
06-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Analog PVL fires a signal at a determined point in the rotation. So advance should be minimal to avoid heating issues etc.

One engine builder told me that he often set them up at top dead center with no advance

The Digital PVL's use a programmed ignition curve that allows the ignition to have an aggressive advance set for starting and bottom end punch and via the Eprom/CDI digitally retards the signal to keep from burning the piston up at ultra high RPM

Least that's the way I understand it.

We use the Stage6 Digital PVL in both of our race quads and have been very satisfied with the performance over two seasons of use. I have heard anecdotally that the Analog PVL is more durable and am aware that certain engine builders are wary of the programmed advance. Our experience has been very positive though.

my .02

EthansDad
06-19-2011, 01:47 PM
my understanding of dig VS analog PVL is what mmsoup stated. I will say, we normally run a digital. at one of our last races, our digital gave out, and we switched over to a analog, both stage 6. I can't tell a difference on or off the track between the two. maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but they both had the same rev pattern (on the stand throttle response) and same lap times on the track.

Saying you have a digital ignition does sound cooler though, so never under estimate bragging rights...

Unless someone can tell me different, I plan on continuing to run the analog.

-EA

o4twinpeaks
06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad

Saying you have a digital ignition does sound cooler though, so never under estimate bragging rights...

-EA

It does sound better in the internet racing!!!!!! lol