PDA

View Full Version : Laeger chassis with newer style EX plastic

racerx167
06-18-2011, 08:50 PM
I have a Laeger EX style chassis that I hade Mark build for me back in early '99. I never ended up putting the bike together and am now in the process of putting the rolling chassis together? When I had the frame built I was unsure if I wanted to run an R engine or an EX, but knew that I wanted to run EX plastic just to run something a bit different than everyone else, call me weird, LOL? Mark suggested that he fab the mounts for the radiator that way whatever decision I decide on I should be good to go?

Anyways, I have seen very few of these at all and none with the radiator mounts? I was wondering if anyone has tried putting on the newer stlye EX plastic/seat combo? I have seen this done on a couple of regular 300EX and can't see any reason why it shouldn't work on the Laeger?

I am thinking that a Laeger EX chassis with the cool looking spars up the side, a powervalve 250R engine, and the newer style 450R looking EX plastic seat/combo might look pretty sweet? It will definately be pretty unique I'm thinking?

Please let me know if you guys have seen any of these with the newer stlye set-up as I would love to know how they turned out? Also, if anyone has any knowledgable ideas your assistance would be very much appreciated?

Thanks

Rob

protrax
06-19-2011, 07:47 AM
post up some pics of the frame , I have seen a few 350RX frames and 1 250X style frame would be great to see another . Is it CR500 link ?

250Renvy
06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Maybe add a few more details to clarify and a picture would be great.

When you say EX chassis, do you mean the 300ex?

Since all these were custom built, each would be different but I have personally owned 2 of these and have come across a number of others.

Mine have all been 250R plastics/seat setup with stock linkages. One is a narrow frame and the other is a stock replacement. One had radiator mounts, the other didn't. I have seen 250R plastic setups with radiator mounts as well as cr500 link setups and I've seen 300ex plastic setups with both as well.

Are you saying yours is a 300ex plastic/tank setup with a 300ex motor setup? If so then it would not be hard to convert to a 400ex style plastic setup, but might be just as easy to convert to the 2007 300ex style plastic/tank setup rather than 450R or 400ex.

As far as putting a 250R motor in there, well, I am in the process of doing that myself and I can tell you it's not very easy. The rear mount has to be cutout as well as the lower motor mounts. The front mounts are too close and require custom mounts made as well as a headstay mount welded in and threaded bosses drilled and welded in. I don't minde doing that work to my frame since it was a basket case to begin with, but if yours is brand new, I don't know that I would want to hack it up and would think it would be better to send it back to Mark to do the work.

I have a bit of knowledge in these frames so post up some more info and pictures and I'll see what else I can share.

racerx167
06-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, it is a CR500 link chassis. I just started assembling the roller about a week and a half ago and considering how hectic my schedule has been as of late I am somewhat satisfied with the progress I have made thus far? If I choose to go with an engine other than a 250R, I may have to screw up the fresh powder to get the fabricating professionally done for the mounts? Oh well, just don't want to cut any corners and if I have to get it re- powdercoated then so be it? I do have a pretty good start on the roller so far and that was my goal to complete first and get everything mocked up and decide on an engine from there? I must say that I am pretty excited to get this thing put together!!

I was possibly thinking of contacting JB Racing and tossing out the idea of going with a 125 2-Stroke of some sort, but then I would have to get a totally different swinger made if I really wanted to do it RIGHT and not cut and hack the exsisting one? I must say that if I did decide to go this route feel pretty confident that Jody would be the guy for the job?

Your opinions and input are appreciated!!

racerx167
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Just wanted to clarify a few things before I get the chance to load up some pictures? My frame is the one that accepts 300EX plastic/tank set-up like 250Renvy mentioned? This is why I am so eager to run the '07-'09 plastic/seat set-up because I have yet to see one of these frames with this combo? I am thinking it should look pretty sweet and original? As I mentioned before, I had Mark originally fab up the frame with the radiator mounts. I hope this gives everyone a better idea as to exactly what frame I am speaking of?

250Renvy mentioned having Mark do the work himself which is great advice. However, I live in Northeast Ohio and was hoping to take the completed roller over to Jody because he is not all that far from me. Plus, then he will literally have the complete quad there for any mock-up needed and if he runs into any clearance issues when fabbing up the pipe and silencer he will then hopefully be able to address it right then and eliminate the guess work? I just want to make sure that everything is perfect, and I'm thinking that if I have to leave the entire roller at Jody's shop that this will assure that everything will be spot on?

Please feel free to let me know what you guys think as I am open to any input?

Thanks again

Rob