PDA

View Full Version : low end throttle responce

01boneless
06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
hey guys im looking for a way to get a little more lowend and a way to get some better throttle responce cause when i bump the throttle in seconed it well ya no needs more low end!!!! dont recomened a hotcam plese thanks guys

honda400ex2003
06-18-2011, 06:46 PM
how about a sparks x1 cam then? LOL

gearing down a bit would help out, possibly taking the choke out of your stock carb would be an option, putting your lid back on would help out low end but would hurt top a bit, and a 450 carb would help out if you want to spend a bit more.

steve

01boneless
06-18-2011, 06:56 PM
think ill prick with gearing since its cheapest maybe remove the choke and go up on the piliot but idk i took off the axle to change bearings and found the brake pads are worn out then I pull the clutch and my brand new motion pro clutch cable came apart so ya lol on the bright side I cleared the tabletop lol killed my bearings haha whats the best brand of pads,and clutch cable ohh and bearings ?:huh

honda400ex2003
06-18-2011, 07:01 PM
i like

ebc SV series pads for mine but if you race a bit more something with a softer pad is nicer. the sv is quite a hard pad and wont stop quite like a race pad will. dont get me wrong, they still stop nicely. they will probably be the last pair of pads you buy though unless you mud every day.

i buy stock cables most of the time or motion pro. Ive had great luck with both.

pivot works and all balls are good bearings, i prefer pivot works most of the time though. I have had good luck with my last set in my carrier.

lol just my choices though,
steve

CJM
06-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I like pivot works bearings, cant go wrong there.

Stage 1 hotcam would be best but a 450r carb or gearing down 1 tooth in the front will help a bit but you lose some topend and will have to shift sooner (least I did).

I always use ebc severe duties but I have stainless dual lines (read 2 separate lines no junction) and it stops on a dime with that setup.

Have a motion pro terminator clutch cable, never any issues.

01boneless
06-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I like pivot works bearings, cant go wrong there.

Stage 1 hotcam would be best but a 450r carb or gearing down 1 tooth in the front will help a bit but you lose some topend and will have to shift sooner (least I did).

I always use ebc severe duties but I have stainless dual lines (read 2 separate lines no junction) and it stops on a dime with that setup.

Have a motion pro terminator clutch cable, never any issues.

thanks cjm

Zeb400EX
06-19-2011, 01:15 PM
450r carb would prob. be the best mod for the money considering your mods. i got the same piston as you and had the r carb. on mine before i did the piston. now after the piston the power i had in 2nd i have in 3rd! gearing will help a lot too but then you'll be revving out when its on top end if your going down a tooth in front. do the carb man, you'll like it!

CJM
06-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Your Welcome.

Think the best thing would be the 450r carb for ya. Zebs right you will lose to much if you go down 1 tooth in the front and up 1 tooth in the rear for me at least I didnt feel anything and wasted cash on a sprocket.

Wheelie
06-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Get the flywheel lightened, the difference is incredible.

CJM
06-20-2011, 08:28 PM
How much would you say is safe to take off for most wheelie? I see yours is 12 oz lighter.

Wheelie
06-20-2011, 08:41 PM
12oz is about as light I would want to go--any more and I think reliability could suffer.

CJM
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
12oz is about as light I would want to go--any more and I think reliability could suffer.

Interesting, Ive always heard about it but never heard much.

Not to hijack but does it change much really? IE would it make it nary impossible to lug around as one could with a stock flywheel?

Wheelie
06-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I can still let the clutch out in 1st gear without touching the throttle and not have it stall. The machine is still happy in lugging situations, however it pulls out of the low rpm situations much quicker with the lighter flywheel. There is no wait for the power to 'build'.

CJM
06-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks, sounds like something I might try doing this winter.

Do you just chuck it up in a lathe and shave it or is there a specific method? Or can you buy one pre-done for a decent price.

Much thanks Wheelie!

destey
06-22-2011, 08:54 AM
something cheap to check... is your jetting spot on?