PDA

View Full Version : piston ring end gapplacement on piston?

400man
06-18-2011, 12:25 PM
does it really matter how you set the ring end gaps on a piston? I know your suppose to set the gaps oppsite each other around 180 deg. or so, but what I mean is like, line the ring gaps up with the exhaust/intake or on the side in line with the wrist pin. or does it really matter?

hocman123
06-18-2011, 12:30 PM
i don't think it matters as long as the 2 piston rings are faceing 180 from each other. then set the oil rings on the to other ends

DnB_racing
06-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I like to put the top two rings 180 degrees apart and 90 degrees from the pin . On the oil rings put the ends 90 degrees from top rings .

CJM
06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I like to put the top two rings 180 degrees apart and 90 degrees from the pin . On the oil rings put the ends 90 degrees from top rings .

That be the way I always do it, no issues yet either. I also gap the oil ring (the corrugated one) inbetween everything like 30 degrees or something if you can understand what I mean.

So long as everything is placed 180 from eachother your fine.

400man
06-18-2011, 05:39 PM
ok thanks for the replies. I just finished re-ringing a kfx400 for a guy and was just kinda wondering if there was any performance related difference in where you located the ring end-gaps in conjunction with the wristpin.

Johnb427
06-21-2011, 11:30 AM
I had a question about rings also that maybe someone could help with. Do you typically need to gap the rings or are they normally good to go out of the box? I am building a 416 and this is the only part that I am not comfotable with since I dont have feeler gauges or files.

ridehonda400ex
06-21-2011, 11:38 AM
JohnB-Go get some feeler gauges and a file for a few bucks at harbor freight. It is sooo much more worth it to double check than to get the engine together and it blow because something soo simple

DnB_racing
06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Johnb427
I had a question about rings also that maybe someone could help with. Do you typically need to gap the rings or are they normally good to go out of the box? I am building a 416 and this is the only part that I am not comfotable with since I dont have feeler gauges or files. the rings are not set for YOUR exact cylinder, they are made to be fit and gaped not a direct install, if you dont gap properly they will be too big and when hot will seize!!

CJM
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
the rings are not set for YOUR exact cylinder, they are made to be fit and gaped not a direct install, if you dont gap properly they will be too big and when hot will seize!!

Yep. Funny enough either GT thunder gapped them for me when I sent them everything (had the studs and bore job done by them) or I got lucky, mine were spot on and have been fine for over a year now lol.

But yes, properly gap them. It takes 5 mins with feeler gauges.

400man
06-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Im also doing a 416 build here very soon, ordered a JE 11:1 piston yesterday. what does the rings need to be gapped to, is it the same as the stock pistons as well as an aftermarket piston like JE or Wiseco?

DnB_racing
06-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 400man
Im also doing a 416 build here very soon, ordered a JE 11:1 piston yesterday. what does the rings need to be gapped to, is it the same as the stock pistons as well as an aftermarket piston like JE or Wiseco? you will get a build sheet with the piston, but usually the formula is Bore in inches x .005" for top ring, and Bore in inches x .0053" for 2nd ring and a min of .15" for oil rings
notice the measurements are in inches so you have to convert your bore from mm to inches