PDA

View Full Version : OEM Handlebar Question

SmogNazi
06-17-2011, 03:33 PM
02 400EX

The handlebars got tweeked a bit the other week and was looking to replace them. I found a new stock one for $40 at the dealer which seemed great. However, I took the handlebar grip outside retaining cap and screw off to find a rubberized plug inside the handlebar. How do you remove it so I can put it in my new handlebar? Or does Honda want you to buy a new one and pound it into the new handlebars?

Thanks!

Honda.rider5871
06-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Why would you buy the easy to bend stock bars over again for $40 when you could buy pro taper or renthals for $50 ? just curious

SmogNazi
06-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey-

Just seemed easier to get the stock bars..

Honda.rider5871
06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
it woudl be alot better to get somethin like this :http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/PRO-TAPER-SE-HANDLEBARS-STANDARD-78/?id=108459 , there stronger bars and look a whole lot better than the stockers for a couple bucks more

SmogNazi
06-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys but we already purchased these bars so I'm stuck with them for now.

does anyone know how to get those stock plugs out of the bars so I can reuse the stock grips and grip ends.

Honda.rider5871
06-17-2011, 06:37 PM
They should have a screw in the end of them ? just unscrew the end peice and slide the grip off it possible . I had to cut the stock grips off both my 400s when i replaced the bars because i couldnt get them to come off. Grips arent but $10 tops just get the new bars and slide you some new grips(make sure there for thumb throttle , assuming thats what you have ). You will probally have to buy some grip glue also, or theres other methods such as using hairspray to keep the grips in place.

dan5
06-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure if this will work in your situation. after you remove the end caps
take an air hose with a nozzle and put air pressure in from other side of the handle bars you may need to plug hole in grips with your finger so air pressure builds up and causes your grips to expand so that you can slide the grip off. You can use the same method to put them on

SmogNazi
06-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Maybe I didnt explain good enough. What I'm talking about is a actually rubberized retaining nut that is on the inside of the metal tube. I'm NOT talking about the handlebar grips....This retaining piece inside the metal tube is what holds the endcap screw on...

Stickman400
06-17-2011, 09:32 PM
I think he's talking about the anti-vib thing that's inside the bars guys. To the OP, I don't know the best method of removing it, I replaced my bars with renthals and never messed with it. But your best bet would be to screw a bigger bolt through a board or something and then into the anti-vib, and then beat on the board in the opposite direction and hope it slides out.