PDA

View Full Version : counter ballancer?

hartwill
06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Any tall tell signs your cb bearings are going bad? Also any way to tell without taking out the whole counter ballancer? Just wondring because my motor is starting to make a spun bearing noise when you rev it up in the front of the engine, but I can't tell which side. I'm assuming its either cb or water pump. I got an 89 clutch upgrade I'm gonna throw in anyway so might as well check it out..

Meat
06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
pop off the clutch cover and wiggle the gear on the CB.

hartwill
06-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Yes but isn't there a bearing on the other side as well? My luck clutch side is good and other side on its way out so I won't be able to tell.

Meat
06-16-2011, 09:27 PM
There is a bearing on the stator side. Its usually the clutch sides bearing that goes bad. You're just going to have to inspect both side of the CB I guess. My CB bearing went bad and it got louder and louder, I could hear it gradually getting worse. Let me know if you need a clutch side CB bearing, I have a new one. The clutch side's bearing needs to be pressed on. The stator side bearing does not get pressed on. If your going to rip the stator and bearing holder off to inspect it, you might as well have a new bearing and put it in.

jcs003
06-17-2011, 02:09 AM
is it a ringing or chattering sound?

destey
06-17-2011, 10:29 AM
2 bearings on the counterbalancer shaft, one pressed into the CB holder, one pressed onto the shaft itself.

Removing each isn't easy. The CB holder one requires a blind hole puller, or some other ingenius method.

The one one the shaft requires the shaft to be pressed apart. I usually do all my own work, but for this I took it to a ATV/snowmobile performance shop. The key is pressing it on the exact same position or it will vibrate.

Meat
06-17-2011, 07:40 PM
"The CB holder one requires a blind hole puller, or some other ingenius method. "

Mine came right out with my finger and a little gravity.

If anyone needs a clutch side CB bearing let me know, I have a brand new one I'd let go for $20 shipped. They cost $35 on Ebay.

k7mm
06-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Meat
"The CB holder one requires a blind hole puller, or some other ingenius method. "

Mine came right out with my finger and a little gravity.

If anyone needs a clutch side CB bearing let me know, I have a brand new one I'd let go for $20 shipped. They cost $35 on Ebay. If Hartwill does'nt need the bearing,then I will buy it off of you.Hartwill I have a 60 ton press to change the C.B. bearing.I have done it before.The gear and the C.B. will need to be scored on the indo clutch side then pressed on and off.I have also changed the counter balancer holder bearing by putting it into the oven for awhile,and then the bearing just falls out.Hopefully the sound is'nt one of your main bearings.

hartwill
06-18-2011, 09:34 AM
The main bearings are oem hondas with about 6hrs so they better be good.lol. only other thing it could be is the water pump I guess. I actually have a whole other counterballancer and holder that I'm pretty sure is good. Is there a difference between long rod and short rod CBs?
K7 I sent you a pm.

redred55
06-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Hartwill, I have a few good balancers I'd sell if you don't want to go through the headache of rebuilding your old one. Also have a new one in the box from Honda also.