PDA

View Full Version : Starter clutch problem

hondardr4life
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey guys, been a few years since I have been on here. Spent all my time building my duramax into a race truck lol. I ended up landing my hands on an 06 450er and I am having the starter clutch issues. I have seen a couple rebuild kits on ebay but have heard you dont need ALL the parts. I am trying to do this for as little $ as possible, so does anyone have a clue what I will need to buy to fix this? I already ripped the side case off and all that wonderful stuff. I just gotta figure out what new parts to buy.

Thanks!

DnB_racing
06-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Hey guys, been a few years since I have been on here. Spent all my time building my duramax into a race truck lol. I ended up landing my hands on an 06 450er and I am having the starter clutch issues. I have seen a couple rebuild kits on ebay but have heard you dont need ALL the parts. I am trying to do this for as little $ as possible, so does anyone have a clue what I will need to buy to fix this? I already ripped the side case off and all that wonderful stuff. I just gotta figure out what new parts to buy.

Thanks! as far as all the parts it really depends on how bad they are worn,
I replaced just the one way clutch for a friend he was being cheap and didnt want to spend much, and I ended up doing it all in about 6 months

on mine I replaced everything and its been there 3 years without any issue with a 24volt staring system

here is a list of everthing, but do what ever you feel needs replacing http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=448092

eastside 400
06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
i thought i read somewhere once that honda sells all the pieces in a kit at a discounted price, it was a TSB at one point for the techs i believe, im not sure if they still offer it that way. you can most likely just replace the one way clutch and be alright but like stated before, no promises on longevity of the repair

hondardr4life
06-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Alright, thanks for the link! Maybe I should just do the whole thing in one shot..