PDA

View Full Version : replacing rear axle

evan402
06-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Ok im going to replace my rear axle. One of the hubs is stripped and was like that when i bought it. Its impossible to get the locknut tight on that hub so the wheel wobbles slightly. I am going to buy a +2 axle. My question is-how bad do the bearing carriers get? will i be ok buying new bearings for that or is it a good idea to replace the carrier as well?

chronicsmoke
06-16-2011, 08:25 AM
If you really pushed it on the bad bearings you may have wrecked the carrier.. It happened to someone I know, they were driving around with a grinding/squealing noise coming from the rear end for a few days..

He actually broke the adjustment piece on the sprocket side of the carrier right off.. but if you didnt really push the bad bearings that far you should just be able to throw new bearings in..

Take it off and look for cracks in it, I've never had a problem, but I usually re-do the bearings every winter at least. (changed as soon as they have any kind of play) the extra couple of hours riding are not worth risking your carrier IMO

you should get new hubs too when you replace the axle

evan402
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
definitely never heard any shrieking or noises so i would assume the carrier is ok. i have owned the quad for about 8 months and judging by the guy i bought it from im sure it is in need of new bearings. From the threads i have read it looks like pivot works might be what i should get. Now just to decide on a good +2 axle and some new rear hubs.

chronicsmoke
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by evan402
From the threads i have read it looks like pivot works might be what i should get. Now just to decide on a good +2 axle and some new rear hubs.

any of the bearing kits will work just fine, you could also get OEM honda bearings if you choose. Pivot works, All Balls, ect.

For a +2 axle, G-Force has pretty cheap axles, and they are adjustable to the width that you want. And they are backed by a pretty good warrenty too. But you might be able to find a decent used one.. or of course LSR, RPM, Durablue all have standup products too, but more $$

as for the hubs you could look in the classifieds section, or just buy OEM. make sure you get pictures of the splines if they are used though. (I found my hubs for ~$50 and they were new 08 450r take-offs)

greencow
06-16-2011, 06:51 PM
It was not hard to take the carrier out at all after i looked at some threads. If your carrier looks like this i would replace it (That was mine after it broke) My replacement was $110 East Coast ATV off of ebay.

chronicsmoke
06-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by greencow
My replacement was $110 East Coast ATV off of ebay.

^^ x2.. if it's broken, I would get the one greencow suggested. I have one in my 450 and it seems solid, definitly can't beat the price