PDA

View Full Version : My early 90s xc 1989 resto

skraut
06-16-2011, 07:42 AM
I was 13 when I got and started racing my first R back in 1991. It was a 1988 which I raced in Hare Scrambles and then when I was 15 started doing GNCC's. I eventually had two 88's I raced up until I moved on to other motorsports in 1997. I have always missed having a R too ride and have no interest in the new 4 poke stuff. So last year I finally decided it was time to build some R's again. I picked up this 1989 in need of some TLC but still in very good mechanical shape for 1200. I wanted to keep it mainly stock and build it as a early xc R was setup back then. So the only aftermarket parts are, Graydon foot pegs, Ohlins front shocks (ones I bought new in 1994!), OMF rear skid, DR block off plate and case saver, IMS 3.6 tank, Renthal bars, and Curtis Spraks silencer. Engine wise I also kept it very stock as in, bone stock cylinder .010 over, cr head gasket, cr reed cage ( expoxied in and matched boot ), Hinson clutch basket, and Keihin 35mm airstriker carb. Still need to add a steering stabilizer and Hondaline XC bumper if I can ever find one! I did build this as a rider and plan to do a local Hare Schramble with it. My next project will be restoring a 1988 back to oem specs. The 1988 has been in our family since 1990 when we bought it from our neighbor who was original owner. It was the very first R I ever rode when I was 11. So it has alot meening to me and look forward to finishing that project, and yes that one will be more of a trailer queen. P.S. any of you doing restos I highly recommend getting all the bolts, rear brake lever, kicker, etc. replated like it was oem. I had all bolts levers etc. for 3 bikes done for $300, and that was all 3 colors gold, black, clear (silver). If you want more info. on that you can message me.

skraut
06-16-2011, 07:47 AM
more

skraut
06-16-2011, 07:50 AM

etccb
06-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Looks great. If those are OEM plastics do not race with them. Get something else for riding-racing and take care of that set.

DoonRider
06-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Wow, that's nice. You did something along the lines of what I am working on - bringing it back to stock with the exception of a few of the essential aftermarket goodies. (You replied to my post on the 88/89 grab bar. Let me know if you run across one.)
My 88 is going to be a rider too.

honda400ex2003
06-18-2011, 06:54 PM
very nice! that thing looks showroom new! Where did you get the majority of your parts from? I am redoing mine also but will be using some maier fenders and a few aftermarket parts that i wanted to add instead of oem.

sick machine! steve

skraut
06-18-2011, 07:53 PM
thank you, Well besides this 89 and the 88 i am going to do next, I has also purchased another 88 that was complete and bone stock but had been rode hard and put away wet. But it was worth buying to use as a donor and spare parts bike. As far as the other odds and ends it was mainly Ebay and some gems were found on craiglist.
I just finished breaking it in and then jetting it today and I am so happy with the way it runs. Very responsive and that good old electric power band feeling of the stock engine. I think the CR reed cage and modified boot along with the airstriker is the ticket. Hate seeing it get dirty but thats why I built it. It feels so good to ride one again.

skraut
06-18-2011, 08:04 PM
and P.S. , these fenders are in pretty good shape and i did buff them with plastic polish, but the real reason the look so shiny in the pics is Silkolene Pro Prep, awesome stuff I highly recommend it, it does help the dirt wash of much easier.

leager-n-ky
06-19-2011, 02:44 AM
I love the sound of a stock pipe, with an after mky silencer. i ran an answer s=11 like that for yrs. good lookin build, Welcome back

jcs003
06-20-2011, 02:20 AM
very nice machine.

could you enlighten me on the "intake boot mod"?

pilotpete
06-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Great job !!!! ....what front tires did you use????

skraut
06-20-2011, 07:28 AM
The front tires are Ohtsu MR101 21x7-10, which was the stock tire for 86/87 trxs, they also made the pro-comp version of them but they were 22x7-10. I would have love to use them but good luck finding them anymore, they are all but gone.

As for the intake I basically created a Boyesen Rad valve out of a CR250 reed cage, boot, and stock trx boot. I took the CR boot and cut off the boot end cause I just wanted to use the "stuffer" part that fits into the reed cage. I milled the cage and CR boot flange down to the same thickness as a normal reed cage flange. Then took the TRX boot, filled it in with epoxy and matched it to the CR stuffer opening. Some people would say why didnt I just put in a RAD valve, well I like the splitter built into the CR cage, I wanted to keep it stock looking and wanted to more choices of reed selection as I am not a fan of the Boyesen reeds. I hope that made some sense I will try and post a pic below of the set up.

skraut
06-20-2011, 07:30 AM

skraut
06-20-2011, 07:37 AM

rooster300ex
06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Man nice R. Whoever sold u that for $1200 got screwed.lol

skraut
06-20-2011, 08:08 AM
thanks, yeah not doubt is was a good deal but trust me it didnt look anything like this, as in it had no fenders, skidplates, etc.

rooster300ex
06-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by skraut
thanks, yeah not doubt is was a good deal but trust me it didnt look anything like this, as in it had no fenders, skidplates, etc.

Oh i c