PDA

View Full Version : Who should I get to work on my Engine?

Jrider92
06-15-2011, 10:29 PM
I have a stock 05 trx 450r, I want to turn it into a prolevel caliber MX race quad. I hear good things from rage atv and baldwin....

What do you suggest? How much would it roughly cost to get a very good engine package? Any suggestions?

SHIFTx450
06-16-2011, 04:50 AM
Call up Denny Rinehimer, Hammer Racing Engines, Bloomsburg PA

You won't be disappointed.

SHIFTx450
06-16-2011, 04:52 AM
You oughtta check out his 05 TRX he just built for himself, setup for SX. Never ridden anything like it in my life.

chronicsmoke
06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Jrider92
I have a stock 05 trx 450r, I want to turn it into a prolevel caliber MX race quad. I hear good things from rage atv and baldwin....

What do you suggest? How much would it roughly cost to get a very good engine package? Any suggestions?

Where are you from in Canada/Where are you going to be racing?

Unless you're racing at the pro-am level, I wouldn't dump all of my money into an engine.. I'd use most of it on suspension.. (shocks, arms, stabilizer)

You'd get good power out of a HC piston, Cam, Port&Polish, Filter, Exhaust for a decent amount..

desratt
06-16-2011, 05:41 PM
pro level. sell it and get an 08 and newer.

allen at ct racing,

Jrider92
06-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Allen at ct racing...Give me reasons why?

Originally posted by desratt

allen at ct racing,

PSNL05
06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Not to be rude, but CT Racing is not someone I would go to for a Pro Level Engine build, DASA, Rossier, Curtis Sparks, Baldwin. All are top of the line for Honda Pro builds. My question is why are you asking this? Are you actually going to go all out and build a top of the line bike or are you just asking for personal knowledge?

eastside 400
06-16-2011, 06:10 PM
call toby at moto-xperts, he will get you setup with what you need, the motors are super fast but also reliable, his work is top notch... ive seen what some of the other big name guys put out and its usually trash, they might have motors that win races but they wont do that kind of work for a normal customer.

SHIFTx450
06-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by desratt

allen at ct racing,

How do you justify needing an 08 and newer bike to have it setup at pro level??

SHIFTx450
06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
call toby at moto-xperts, he will get you setup with what you need, the motors are super fast but also reliable, his work is top notch... ive seen what some of the other big name guys put out and its usually trash, they might have motors that win races but they wont do that kind of work for a normal customer.

I second that. Don't know moto-xperts, and this is neither for or against them, just seconding the fact that them "big name" builders are not all their cracked up to be. I've seen garbage heads come back for PRO guys, not gonna say names, from "big name" engine builders who are hailed by many..

Jrider92
06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by SHIFTx450
I second that. Don't know moto-xperts, and this is neither for or against them, just seconding the fact that them "big name" builders are not all their cracked up to be. I've seen garbage heads come back for PRO guys, not gonna say names, from "big name" engine builders who are hailed by many..

Are you trying to scare us or help us?

Butter
06-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Dee @ RAGE. Have one of his motors, and alot of my buddies all have his motors as well. Awesome guy. Him and his wife will help with anything right over the phone. Everything is done by hand, and he knows his way around a 450R head.

trompen542
06-17-2011, 11:15 AM
SWP in Mi, good work, great hp,reliable, great price, quick turn around, Shop # 989-621-2521

hondaxcracer
06-17-2011, 04:42 PM
i would have to agree with the other two that moto-xperts is the way to go. Toby build my motor in my xc bike 3yr ago and it is as strong and fast now as it was then. GO TO TOBY AND NO I ELSE..

desratt
06-17-2011, 04:52 PM
my reasoning for the 08 and newer is actually contingency. you must have an 08 or newer to get honda contingency..I like the smaller 08 gas tank, but I strongly suggest an 06 or newer. they rev way faster and the tranny ratio is better. most like the 05 for a strongger tranny but the pros use the baldwin billet transmission that is way stronger.

I have had heads done by trinity, n-motion, and dasa. liked the n-motion the best . dasa was great work but took FOREVER. now I am going with a ct based upon sponsorships and recomendations. I race more desert but I do race MX also. I look at race results. they can say hp- tq or airflow numbers all day long but race results are good and CT has them mostly in desert though.

SHIFTx450
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Jrider92
Are you trying to scare us or help us?

Just stating an opinion that's all. I was in shock when I saw what I saw, rather disappointing. If you know what you're looking at, you'll be able to tell for yourself as soon as you look at your head when they're done with it. Check it out, run your fingers around them ports and you'll know.

Ruf Racing
06-17-2011, 06:28 PM
The best, for the cash!, Dave Hung @ HRE! You are wasting the extra money, with the rest! :macho

eastside 400
06-19-2011, 09:44 AM
when a head comes back from one of the really big name guys and i have to take it completely apart to clean the metal shavings from the port work out of it, then yea i would be scared. i am not exaggerating anything, it wasnt even for my engine, i was building a engine for a friend and had a head shipped to me to install straight from the company and it still had metal in it.

simon7
09-18-2011, 08:31 AM
JS Performance ATV inc.
1050 Innovation Ave b104
North Port Fl. 34289
941 876-3663

I'll put my porting against anyone. I put the time in to get the absolute best flow possible. It takes about 10 hours per. head with porting, polishing, valve seat cutting, valve seals, re shimming, and cleaning.

DnB_racing
09-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
when a head comes back from one of the really big name guys and i have to take it completely apart to clean the metal shavings from the port work out of it, then yea i would be scared. i am not exaggerating anything, it wasnt even for my engine, i was building a engine for a friend and had a head shipped to me to install straight from the company and it still had metal in it. same here!!

to the OP just send the head out and do the bolt on parts yourself, you might not be pulling the very last bit of power from it, but you will get what most builders will give you anyways, and you will save over a grand to spend on suspension,

and I agree with Ruf send head to HRE, then rebuild yourself and you will be plenty fast to run with all but the VERY elite runners, who actually seldom even use the full potential of the motor, but definitely use the whole travel and potential of the suspension

Kovatch
09-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Baldwin does top notch work. You get the same level of quality no matter what your build requirements: full out pro build to quick port work, etc. Top-of-the-line.

I've never had an issue with any motor that has come from his shop.

vondeister
10-10-2011, 08:11 AM
RAGE by far is the beast Builder out there right now!

Ichoptop
10-10-2011, 08:27 AM
you arent going to get a straight answer like this. Everyone has their favorites and they will argue back and forth on why the best color is green. Pick the top 3-4 that you hear a lot of good things about then put together a checklist of important questions. Call each of them and see how they answer. The most important thing with a builder is someone you trust and someone that has a good rep.

I have personally had really good builds from John at Racers Edge. But I havent owned builds by Rage, Bladwin or Dasa so I can' really say if they are the best or not. I do know they always come in on the dyno numbers that are given up front, have great customer service and keep the schedule agreed on.

SHIFTx450
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Give Denny Rinehimer a call, Hammer Racing Engines, Bloomsburg PA 570-441-3499. Not saying he's better than anyone, but I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed. -Rich Watson

scotturban
10-12-2011, 10:18 AM
I have a kfx450r and mxp is the only one who has built me a fast AND RELIABLE motor, Plus just look how many holeshots there team pulled this year in pro am,