PDA

View Full Version : Who should I get to work on Engine

Jrider92
06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
I have a completely stock 05 trx 450r. I plan on moding her to a pro level MX bike. I am gonna take the engine out in a few days and decide who I should call up to work and upgrade on it..I hear good things about Rage and Baldwin...

What do you suggest? To get the best of everything in the engine how much would it roughly cost? How do I go about getting my engine thats in Canada to a engine shop thats in the states? Is it an easy process?

PSNL05
06-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Jrider92
I have a completely stock 05 trx 450r. I plan on moding her to a pro level MX bike. I am gonna take the engine out in a few days and decide who I should call up to work and upgrade on it..I hear good things about Rage and Baldwin...

What do you suggest? To get the best of everything in the engine how much would it roughly cost? How do I go about getting my engine thats in Canada to a engine shop thats in the states? Is it an easy process?

If you want a Pro Build, send it to Dasa. Total price is about $6,000. For a Joe Byrd build, you're looking at roughly $12,000.

trxredrider
06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by PSNL05
If you want a Pro Build, send it to Dasa. Total price is about $6,000. For a Joe Byrd build, you're looking at roughly $12,000.
Dasa wants 6K for a single cylinder engine build, seriously? What exactly do you get with a 12K "Joe Byrd" build?

Jrider92, Rage or Baldwin would be great choices... I haven't had a motor done by either personally, but I have had great customer service from Baldwin on suspension. I know of two motors around me that were built by each one you mention and they are both rocket ships. Your bike will be fast with either choice.

I haven't shipped an engine internationally, but when I ship one within the states usually I make a wood frame engine stand in the bottom of a large Rubbermaid container then pack with old newspaper. Makes for a slightly higher shipping cost but it's worth it to me. Finally, I drill holes in the lid, zip tie the lid on with ties, and then ship.

Kovatch
06-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Not sure if you have ever seen what they do to a Pro National motor, but it is impressive and gets extremely costly, fast.

Hands down: Baldwin. He has done things to the 450r motor other shops end up copying because he is that good! Not saying Dasa copies. Honestly, Baldwin does amazing work on all engines. Get some of the big stuff done first: port & polish/valve job, hi comp piston, cams, carb and be set. Or upgrade your crank, billet transmission and add another $4000. I don't know their exact prices, but you will be extremely happy with Baldwin.

While the bike is down, get your shocks from Baldwin too.

Shipping won't be cheap. Make sure you drain the motor of the fluids too. Some people leave oil in the engines. Also, write your name on the container, it helps.

PSNL05
06-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't know what exactly they do, but it's easy to sink a few grand into a decent build to run Pro-Am/A Class ($4500-$5500 in the motor). Of course, most of those costs are a one time expense, and worth every penny if you want a truly competitive national motor. DASA builds the best motor for the Honda 450R, there's no comparison IMO. When you start limiting the build based on costs, then you start eliminating a lot of the top builders. He asked for a Pro MX Build and I listed the approximate prices of DASA. I don't know what is different about the motors that Byrd runs, I just know it costs twice as much to get one built like his. If I were going to seriously get into racing MX, I would spend the money and find out. However, I'm running XC now and I spent $5,000 on my suspension instead of spending it on my motor.

trxredrider
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Kovatch
Not sure if you have ever seen what they do to a Pro National motor, but it is impressive and gets extremely costly, fast.

Hands down: Baldwin. He has done things to the 450r motor other shops end up copying because he is that good! Not saying Dasa copies. Honestly, Baldwin does amazing work on all engines. Get some of the big stuff done first: port & polish/valve job, hi comp piston, cams, carb and be set. Or upgrade your crank, billet transmission and add another $4000. I don't know their exact prices, but you will be extremely happy with Baldwin.

While the bike is down, get your shocks from Baldwin too.

Shipping won't be cheap. Make sure you drain the motor of the fluids too. Some people leave oil in the engines. Also, write your name on the container, it helps.

Yes, I have seen what a pro motor can be but common, 12K? If you have that much coin to throw at a little single cylinder engine then get me a job application where you work... Your talking big block drag race engines for that much money.

Like you said - port & polish/valve job, hi comp piston, cams, carb, etc. and if you need more than that you should have a sponsor picking it up for you at that point.

Spend your money on suspension!

PSNL05
06-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by trxredrider
Yes, I have seen what a pro motor can be but common, 12K? If you have that much coin to throw at a little single cylinder engine then get me a job application where you work... Your talking big block drag race engines for that much money.

Like you said - port & polish/valve job, hi comp piston, cams, carb, etc. and if you need more than that you should have a sponsor picking it up for you at that point.

Spend your money on suspension!

I'm sure billet transmission gears get thrown into the equation at that point as well, not to mention the Hinson BTL clutch. Those 2 alone would run you $4,000+. So a $12,000 build isn't out of the question.

Kovatch
06-17-2011, 10:26 AM
It is very easy to rack up a huge bill on the motor. I think you would fair very well with port & polish/valve job, hi comp piston, cam, & carb. That would be a pretty darn fast motor for most people out there. If you are skilled enough to run an ATVA Pro race, then go all out, but yes your sponsors would be picking up that bill. Rider skill is cheaper than motorwork.

What I feel is limiting to most is suspension. If your pockets are that deep I would put a lot of money into suspension as PSNL05 stated. World of a difference.

It is, by far a jaw dropper, to see how fast everything adds up to be at the top of your respective sport. Custom made this or that. It all adds up especially if "you" aren't the one making/designing/R&D on the parts.

trx416m
06-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Give Tom Carlson @ TC Racing Engines a call. He's been in the business longer then any of these other companies and has always delt mainly with hondas. He's in North PA too so its close to the border not way down in So Cal. He's been great to me and nowheres close to $6000 for a built motor. TC- 814-723-3514

brandonw
06-20-2011, 09:54 AM
WWW.CHAD502EX.COM

DRG!!!!

eastside 400
06-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Toby at MotoXperts can build really strong engines, Casey and Aarons bikes are consistently pulling Pro-Am holeshots this year. he is a great guy to deal with and the work is top notch. the quality of work is the same no matter who you are unlike most other top builders.

joel janssen
07-17-2011, 05:08 AM
we at janssen motorsports have a very good engine program.
nick denoble pulled the holeshot again this weekend.we have
engines at all price ranges it just depends on what you want
to spend,we also stand behind our engine work.