PDA

View Full Version : 4TRX250R Set Up fro 6' 3" rider

ERBE
06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
OK I have a 86 TRX250R for my son, who is now 6' 3" and only weighs 150/lbs
was wondering if there are lower pegs made? Full Flight seat? taller bars, or sell the quad and make him ride a LT500?

bigmatt61
06-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I am 6'4" and 295lbs. My race weight a few years back was 275 with gear. I had no problem with comfort on any my R's no matter how they were set up. Regular stem, +3 stem. Standard peg location, lowered and back. It didn't matter to me. It will all depend on him. What will he be comfortable with?
The 250r is an outstanding platform to race, the equivalent to your first car being a Ferrari.
As far as his height goes it will be a plus in my opinion. He will be able to get extremely far back on the quad (I used to hang off the back in the whoops) when going through rough stuff at race speed on a track or just riding for fun.
Lastly all I have to say is..... Joe Byrd. He ain't a short fella!

Matt

P.S. If you feel the need to modify it to accommodate his height, I would suggest the taller steering stem and lowering the foot pegs and moving them back with custom pegs or nerfs.

89rwfo
06-16-2011, 07:45 AM
I am 6'3" as well and I have raced stock set up 250R's for 20 years. I do prefer a plus 1-2 stem and and recently I installed a hi-flite (desert) seat cover and foam it really helps my knees.

Also i dont like nerf bars so I take stock 86/87 pegs apart and put on the 88/89 frame. It gives another inch of legroom down and back.
Hope this helps.

wilkin250r
06-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Man, it's been a while since I visited this topic, the last time I did I was just learning about 250Rs, so my knowledge might not be accurate.

If I remember correctly, a lot of aftermarket billet shifters were 1-inch shorter, and that was because the propeg nerfs moved the footpeg back and inch, and down like a half inch. Somebody PLEASE CONFIRM OR CORRECT THIS INFORMATION.

etccb
06-16-2011, 08:08 AM
I am also 6' 3". The above peg trick that 98wrfo stated will definitely make a huge difference for the 88-89 and is what I did to an 88 that I had years ago. I don't believe there is an easy trick for the 86. For years it was easy to find nerfs with pegs that moved the peg back a inch and down X but I could not find anyone that makes them like that anymore. I just ordered some pegs from chassis inc for this 87 that I am putting together. Lew is making a set for me that is 1/2 lower then his first run that was down 1/4 from stock. I believe the rear edge is back 1 1/4 on his. When I get them I will mount them up and try installing some nerfs that I have here and see how that all works out. I will post the results on peg location and what it took to get the nerf stuff taken care of within the next couple of weeks.
Also installing a 88-89 thickness seat foam and cover or a desert seat if you like those will basically be required for your son unless you are going TT racing. I do not have the bar and stem combo info for you at this time but with relocating the pegs, a taller seat and getting a bar with stem or riser combo setup he will be very happy on a 250R.

ERBE
06-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah he will be doing mostly desert riding, calling High Flight today see what a seat runs they are 2" to 2 1/2" higher, ceet also makes one they are 1 to 1 1/2" higher.
done the modified stock pegs, cut and re welded and lowers them almost inch, may also look into roll design pegs, lower and back and wider for his boats, as for the stem, I measured it last night and is 1" taller than stock, so this should fix his long legged skinny butt dilemma! :)

etccb
06-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Roll pegs for the 86-87 are not made any more and will not be easy to find. Being that you got the stock peg down you could cut another stock set up and weld it onto the back of your current peg. This would put the rear heel edge in a good place about 1 1/8 back and give you a good width.

danhung11
06-16-2011, 09:37 AM
didn't they lower the footpegs and back in the 88-89 models? It's been said, I think higher stem and seat would fix the trick. Is your son all torso or legs? I think the ergonomics of these R's are pretty nice compared to other Honda sport quads I've owned. Stay away from that 86-87 foam. I had that on this lobo I picked up and it felt completely awkward, it actually hurt my knees sitting down.

6'3" and 150lbs? How old is he?

socal
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Good point from Dan (all torso or legs),im only 6-2 but my inseam is only 31" ...Be careful of older stems that are from +1-+3 that are NOT +1 foreward,I had a +2 older stem and it made little room for my long arms because the taller you go with them,the less room to stretch your arms because they shoot straight back to your chest...+1 or 2 and +1 foreward is the way to go.I think a 88-89 seat is the way to go (I still prefer the 86-87 for manuevering!)...You will find alot of people dont like the taller desert seats,not only do they look funny,they are hard to move around on!

etccb
06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Good info on the stems socal. (6'3" 36 inseam) If you do have a old style straight up +1 stem you could get a riser block that goes up and forward basically using the front bar clamp bolt as a rear bar clamp bolt location.

ERBE
06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by etccb
Roll pegs for the 86-87 are not made any more and will not be easy to find. Being that you got the stock peg down you could cut another stock set up and weld it onto the back of your current peg. This would put the rear heel edge in a good place about 1 1/8 back and give you a good width.

Stork Legs, LOL! He is almost 18!

Derrick Adams
06-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm 6'4" and we made some significant mods to my 89 to make it fit me well. Aside from using the 89 seat we raised the subframe 1" and relocated the stem 1 1/4" forward.

I wanted to stay away from relocating the foot pegs because I feel it takes away from the handling of the bike. With long legs moving your body back another 1" really can make a difference in the air and in corners. JMO

The taller seat and +1 up and +1 forward stem is the way to go.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/7.jpg