PDA

View Full Version : OEM Carb (Choke Mod) VS. 450r Carb?

chronicsmoke
06-15-2011, 07:04 AM
I know that Ron (tri5ron) did an in dept review of the 450r carb on his 400ex with dyno runs. He manages to see 2 HP with his current mods over the stock carb.

I know some people here are claiming that the Choke Mod was producing 1-1.5hp difference.

I am currently rebuilding the EX and I'm working on the carb. My semi-long term plan is to adapt a 450r carb on here, but right now I have too many projects on the go.

My question, the guys that are running the choke mod, and guys that are running the 450r carb (especially guys that have ran BOTH), are these mods even close to comparable?

(There have been guys that claim BOTH carb mods actually LOST HP and TQ)

CJM
06-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Im not quite sure why, but when I had the choke off my EX carb it definately gave me more power. Dyno proven power-nope since i didnt dyno it, but removing the little choke plate def made me have more seat of the pants feel off the line. Id say it added like 1/2-1hp or more cause I was able to get more air into the carb. With a 42 pilot I dont even need choke anyways..

honda400ex2003
06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
subscribed, ill add my thoughts later after running all of these on many different setups.

steve

Pipeless416
06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
i found that there was no comparison and i didn't even notice taking the choke out. the 450r carb has made the most noticeable difference yet.

ae13291
06-15-2011, 05:41 PM
i felt a differance taking the choke out of my oem carb, but lol not 1.5 Hp, i just installed a 39mm fcr yfz450 carb and i felt a huge improvement. it will rev up just as fast as some of the 450's on the market and it packs a whole lot of more punch now. the exhaust pitch even sounds different.

tri5ron
06-15-2011, 11:32 PM
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41

chronicsmoke
06-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41

Hahaha did you read some of the reviews?

"One set of 10 yo used spark plugs and 5 bean and cheese burrito's later I've got gains of up to 150whp and thanks to this lil baby I can prove it. Thanks guys for yet another great product"

That is too good :D

ish416
06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
There is no comparison between the stock carb with mod and the 04-05 450R carb.

The 450R carb is just better.

The FCR carbs are even better than the 04-05 450R carbs.

I have done the choke mod and noticed a little difference.

With either of the other carbs there is a HUGE difference in how the engine revs out. Especially with the FCR.

JOHNDOE83
06-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Ive done both mods and the stock carb choke removal was slightly noticeable and was deffinetly better then stock.

But the 450r carb was way better through out the entire RPM range, I got the 05 450r carb cause it was a 42mm carb. Some people like the fcr better and for a mildly modded EX its possibly the best choice.

honda400ex2003
06-18-2011, 05:01 PM
alright... its raining now so i will post my thoughts. lol

the choke mod is alright for possibly a slight increase in performance overall but there is no additional jetting required for it so theres not enough air to effect it that much. it mainly helps in getting the mass of the air moving easier since there is less restriction. this is the reason for a bit bigger pilot jet.

overall theres very minimal hp to be gained by this, maybe a few tenths of an hp which most of the time is in the noise of the dyno anyway.

is it a useful mod? for most applications, yes it is. it will free up a bit more to get the edge on someone else when needed.

the 450 carb is in a class of its own in comparison. it is like a C class rider to a pro class. this has measurable gains that go along with it, that only get bigger as you increase bore size, cam size, and increase other engine work.

for me it depends on what i want to do with a machine. this would be the basis for what carb i would run and what other parts i want to run.

just my .02 though
steve

MtnEX
06-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Duly noted guys...

So are there several options to shop for? I mean a certain mm?... Somebody brought up a YFZ carb.

Is it easier to just do the 450R carb or an aftermarket carb?

I am thinking the 450R carb and ZR's adapter.

I am really trying to wait to do my build until I can get an '05 plus bike and start selling some stuff off.