PDA

View Full Version : buying used rear shock questions

sangheraent
06-15-2011, 12:46 AM
I have been looking around for some used rear shocks and I found what Im looking for but how would I know if it isn't just a shock with an aftermarket sticker on it?

Iv been looking at pep shocks on ebay but they look like stock shocks.

How would I know without tearing it apart?

I also had another question. If my bike is an 86 with an 89 swingarm can I run the 86 shock?

BULLET99Z28
06-15-2011, 01:11 AM
I have pretty much the same question. I'm building off of an 87 frame that has had the lower rear motor mounts welded in, so I'm using and 89 swingarm and 88/89 dogbone combo. I have an Ohlins rear shock that came off of an 86 i bought for parts, and was gonna have it rebuilt and set up for me.

Do I need the 86 dogbone, due to the 86/87 shocks being longer, or should I look for an 89 shock?

Does anybody have the facory shock lengths between the 2 years?

Is there any difference in dogbone mount locations between the 2 style swingarms, or is the length difference after the dogbone mount?

muddymess
06-15-2011, 01:55 AM
shocks and wishbones where different sizes for different years. cant remember the sizes off the top of my head but there is a thread here that gives all the lengths. i had to buy a wishbone to match a shock i bought because of the size difference.

sangheraent
06-15-2011, 12:17 PM
so what your saying is you can run either shock as long as the shock and wishbone match?

muddymess
06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136708&highlight=shock+length+wishbone

im not really sure since your using something that went on a different swing arm. i used an 86 shock on an 87 but they use the same swing arm. maybe someone will chime in and say if there is a difference in mount locations on the swing arm.