PDA

View Full Version : chains

300exdriver
02-20-2003, 08:59 PM
all of my chains keep on busting off and it reall gets on my nerves i just got a new one not to long ago and it broke off. i didnt tighten it to much and all my teeth on my sprockets are fine. can someone help me?????:grr

Ex'r Marlin
02-21-2003, 08:05 AM
I am trying to understand how you would keep busting a chain.

Do you have a skid plate on your atv? Are you sure the chain is properly adjusted with you on the atv? Are all the sprocket teeth in good condition (51 teeth right? 38 rear and 13 front?)? Is either one of your sprockets warped? (I would remove both of them a lay them on a flat surface to review). What name brand chains broke on you? Are they o-ring chains?

300EX
02-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Do you keep it oiled for the most part?

Teufel
02-21-2003, 11:39 AM
What quality of chain are you using? Are the sprockets in line with each other? Is the rear sprocket bent?
Are the axel and swingarm bearings good?

Just a couple of things to check

4TraxRider
02-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Make sure your buying a chain with enough tensile strength to handle your machine.

300exracer
02-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah you want to keep them oiled up preaty good.:D

honda400exrider
02-21-2003, 03:57 PM
just curios, but what kind of chains are they? have u looked for any signs of rubbing anywhere in that area? :(

300exdriver
02-23-2003, 08:31 PM
ive got d.i.d chains and every one of them has broken! ive got sunstar sprockets. all the teeth are good and their not warped.
do ya'll know of any really good chains and sprockets that dont cost to much? if you need to know any thing else then write me and ill tell you.

300exdriver
02-23-2003, 09:38 PM
this is the only one i have

Teufel
02-24-2003, 08:58 AM
I like the T subaki omega o ring , chains they are a little pricey. i have ran them for 15+ yeasr and NEVER broken one. I use Sunstar sprockets also and like them.
Did your swingarm and axel bearings check out ok?

Ex'r Marlin
02-24-2003, 09:43 AM
D.I.D. chains and Sunstar products happen to be good products. The D.I.D. chain should not be failing as quickly as you stated.

I am still trying to think as to why the chains will be breaking. Putting an expensive, possibly bullet proof, chain on and sprockets is not the cure. I feel that there is something unknown causing your chains to break premature. It maybe one of the sprockets, or it maybe a list of possibilities, but putting an expensive setup does not sound like resolving the issue.

Live2Ride300
02-24-2003, 09:46 AM
The problem may not be the chain. Check your rear axle bearings and swingarm bearings. If there is play in ur axle bearings that could be the cause of ur chain being thrown off. The play in the axle bearings will cause the swingarm/axle to have a small amount of side to side play causing the chain to come off. Check it out.

phatswinn
02-24-2003, 10:30 AM
u want the chain to have ALOT of slack, so it seems like theres too much because when the swingarm compresses it makes the chain tighter and if the chain is too tight it will snap under a load

also check how your axle bearings are, if the axle spins freely, and your front breaks see if they are rubbing

02-24-2003, 11:34 AM
I ran a stock chain for 2 years of MX and XC abuse..and it never broke nor popped off.

Your chain is not your problem..it's either your not adjusting it properly..or you have a worn out axle carrier....:cool:

Live2Ride300
02-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Rico did you use the stock sprockets for 2 years too?

02-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
Rico did you use the stock sprockets for 2 years too?

Sure did..I just replaced them about 2 months ago. The chain and both front and rear sprockets looked pretty good actually...keeping the chain oiled and properly adjusted will make a world of difference. Sparyin down the chain and adjusting it every 4 months is not the way to do it....;)

400exRacerX
02-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by phatswinn
u want the chain to have ALOT of slack, so it seems like theres too much because when the swingarm compresses it makes the chain tighter and if the chain is too tight it will snap under a load

also check how your axle bearings are, if the axle spins freely, and your front breaks see if they are rubbing

Don't give the chain alot of slack. only give it about 1 1/2 inches at most.

I use D.I.D. x-ring.

300exdriver
02-24-2003, 08:15 PM
i just replaced the bearing carrier and the bearings so i know it isnt that, i leave about an inch of slack, so i dont know what it is:devil

Live2Ride300
02-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Sure did..I just replaced them about 2 months ago. The chain and both front and rear sprockets looked pretty good actually...keeping the chain oiled and properly adjusted will make a world of difference. Sparyin down the chain and adjusting it every 4 months is not the way to do it....;)

Thats the way to do it. Good maintenance goes a long way.