PDA

View Full Version : Stock 400ex. First time at track. Question.

lyrikz74
06-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I went to straddline over here in olympia wa. Cool track. I have never taken a quad on a motorcross track before.

About the 5th time in, i talked to one of the course workers because i kept slowing down and not doing the double. He gave me some advice so i hit it in 4th gear.

Excited doestn really sum up how awesome that feeling is landing a fairly large double. There were a few other jumps that i got some good air on, but what limited me was how hard the bike landed.

Question is this. ITs a 2008 400ex. stock. Would upgrading the shocks front and rear soften up the landings at all???

vinson581
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
it would make such a night and day difference you would be amazed.

lyrikz74
06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by vinson581
it would make such a night and day difference you would be amazed.

That is what i was wondering. Of course it seemed like everyone else on the track had a lowered widened 450 of some kind and were crushing everything out there.

Would i notice a huge difference with the stock 450r shocks on my 400?

dukedrummer89
06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by lyrikz74

Question is this. ITs a 2008 400ex. stock. Would upgrading the shocks front and rear soften up the landings at all???

I put stage 4 elkas on my 06, its like riding on a cloud compared to stock

lyrikz74
06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by dukedrummer89
I put stage 4 elkas on my 06, its like riding on a cloud compared to stock

That sounds so awesome. That was one of my major issues with hitting the bigger jumps. Landing was not fun. Not to mention i couldnt seem to get up enough speed to not land on the flats of the jumps.

The big double was slightly down hill. I hit it top of third and right before the jump i no clutched up to 4th and just pinned it and held on.

I will put a picture up here in a bit.

vinson581
06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
450r's will help but i would get them revalved and re-sprung for your weight, gt thunder or derisi racing would be a good choice for that.

just some food for thought tho back in the day right around the time the 450's came out i was racing a 400ex with suspension and a slip on, i could constantly holeshot 450's fast foward 6 years or so, i bought another 400ex (stock width still), just a set of good elkas setup to my liking, and the bike is 10 times more plush then my 2010 YFZ450r even though it has a wider stance (yfz's shocks are getting ditched for evol floats none the less)

all im saying is that 400ex with a set of good shocks will be better then a stock 450r or yfz (suspension wise) hands down, throw a built 416 in that 400ex and your really only looseing by a couple bikes length till both the Piped cammed tuned yfzR and 400ex hit 4th gear, this is from personal experiance on both of my bikes, (both setup very correctly, spot on mapping / jetting). i would go and get a set of shocks and re-valve the rear, even if you get a set of elka rec series they are SO much better then stock you wont believe it till you actually ride it.

supertrooper90
06-14-2011, 08:14 PM
The stock 450r fronts will make a nice difference if your hitting 4th gear doubles. Theysoften the harshness of the 400ex stock shocks.
I really agree with vinson581. I did the gtthunder revalves set up for xc and they perform really well at the mx track.Just turn up the compression a turn or two and they work great for mx. I have a built 416 and it really makes a big difference in the power, its no 450 but it gives you the extra bump to hit the bigger stuff with confidence.

scotturban
06-14-2011, 08:25 PM
get on ebay, can probably find 400ex suspension for cheap, id do (depending on budget)

Elka, Fox, Pep, Motowoz, Or Axis Mostly

Elka Being Last Choice though of the listed,

Rebuilds would also be a good route to soften it up

hondarider421
06-14-2011, 09:32 PM
if u want a really great suspension i have long travel a-arms dc4 lonestars to be exact and also have elka quad rates long travel is the best ride u will get and ill sell the kit for 800 and will ship i have a built 400ex that i loved and now am running a custom built 450r there are a few things id upgrade on ur 400 starting with suspension next is the engine finally the cooling system if u are interested call or text me its alot easier u can always email me address is amacker.michael@yahoo.com
# is 9852473221
i have been running tracks alot so i can help u out alot just think abouit it