PDA

View Full Version : long term crankshaft storage?

destey
06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I have an odd question. I've got a snowmobile, and I bought a bottom end of the motor for when mine craps out. There's probably 6 bearings that are >$150 on the crank, so I want to make sure these bearings don't go bad after a few years.

Here's what I was thinking. Split the case halves. Put the crank in a bath of oil in a walmart tote and tuck it away for later use.

Thoughts?

Brake cleaner to get the motor oil off the crank when its time to use it?

thanks guys,
d

buck440
06-14-2011, 06:32 PM
i took a few courses in collage for automotive repair and one of the instructors told us to NEVER lay a crank on a hard flat surface or by the end of the weekend it WILL warp slightly. they tought us to hang it by a wire or rope from a ceiling to keep it from warping. i would coat it in grease, not oil, and hange it in a safe place.

Tommy Warren
06-14-2011, 07:45 PM
but a memory foam mattress for it:D

why can't you just fill the bottom of the motor with oil and leave it there? is it a tripple?

buck440
06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
oh yah by the the way. after leaving a v8 crank on a concrete floor for 2 days, it was slightly warped and out of spec. i'm not sure about snowmobiles but i would definitely check into it.

CJM
06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
It isnt gonna warp if you leave it int he bottom end. So long as they arent sealed bearings just put the sucker in a vat of oil and leave it be.

destey
06-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
but a memory foam mattress for it:D

why can't you just fill the bottom of the motor with oil and leave it there? is it a tripple?

its a 700 triple. I considered filling the bottom end with oil but i wanted to take it out of the bottom end and sell the rest of the parts, plus having it already out of the bottom end would save me some time.

but i hadn't considered the crankshaft would warp from sitting around. sounds like it might be best to leave it in the case halves and just fill the bottom end with 2 stroke oil. it would be nice to sell the rest of the parts but would rather it not warp

thanks for the help guys. probably saved me from ruining a $1200 crank :)

blacknblue#2
06-15-2011, 12:15 PM
my dad restores old tractors. He always built a jig out of wood and would stand the crank up for storage in the corner. Cover it with grease and wrap it in a garbage bag. When it come time to use again just take your time and make sure its extra clean

fastredrider44
06-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
my dad restores old tractors. He always built a jig out of wood and would stand the crank up for storage in the corner. Cover it with grease and wrap it in a garbage bag. When it come time to use again just take your time and make sure its extra clean

This works. Our local machine shop wraps them and stands them on end for years at a time.

buck440
06-15-2011, 05:44 PM
how do they store it when it's new? maby just put it in a cardboard box with grease on it and some of that bubble crap. k.i.s.s.:) they are stored like that for years and work just fine.

Tommy Warren
06-16-2011, 02:13 AM
fill a box with those little styrofoam pellets a put it in there. on my tripples I try to start them or at least turn them over every couple of weeks to prevent the weight of the pistons from warping them while sitting...this might not be a problem without the weight of the pistons and rods though.

destey
06-16-2011, 06:38 AM
lots of great idea, thanks guys!

now if that 3 bolt puller could only get the flywheel off, those things are ON there!!!

destey
06-16-2011, 02:40 PM
found this on a search

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437866&start=0