PDA

View Full Version : LT 230 running issues

firefighterjosh
06-14-2011, 05:50 AM
lt230
problem: wont run unless your holding the throttle and it still runs bad.

If u hold the throttle in one place it will rev up on its own then die. it will also over heat in 20-30secs.

stuff changed: cdi, timimg, compression test (120 PSI), valves done, every thing in the carb has been cleaned, filters in tank and air filter is good, vent tube good, no air leaks...im trying to help a friend but they live 4 hours away and all i have is a phone to research on

firefighterjosh
06-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Some things I thought of.

Exhaust valve no opening all the way
bad piston (known problem)

axellmusic19
06-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Could be bad reeds and also instead of holding your throttle open, Use the barrel adjusters at both ends of the throttle cable. First the one at the carb to get it running then the one by the throttle to keep it running.

firefighterjosh
06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
this is a 4 stroke

axellmusic19
06-14-2011, 02:35 PM
You're correct I forgot. Apologies

LTandRaptorider
06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Sounds like most things have been checked. Def no air leak? And yes, check the valves. Who knows last time they were checked on it. And you say piston is known to be bad? How so? And if it's bad, then cylinder probably is too. Sounds like a bore, piston and rings in order. Get that old quad running, and post pics! Seeing LT230 takes me back to my first quad in 1986... Oh dam, did I just say that? lol

firefighterjosh
06-15-2011, 06:20 AM
I read online that since the stroke is so long it can egg shape the piston.
No air leak for sure. He sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb and the engine didn't change a beat...but it also was running like crap anways

Here are a few things I thought it could be.

Exhaust is plugged - Switch that out
Pick up coil on fly wheel - Re adjusted that.
The carb slider being 180 degrees out (checking that today)

I think its a bad valve still. The sucker is running lean. He installed a exhaust on it without re jetting it. It ran 2 years like this and I am afraid the little engine finally let go.

headache
06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
have you made sure that the oil pump is working? if its getting that hot that fast it may be bad oil pump or something stopped up take off a rocker cover and fire it up and see..