PDA

View Full Version : shocks and a arms

jlrenken
06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
ok im running houser arms with fox shocks. my buddies got a 09 thats stock and it seems to handle better. r the stock arms a good setup and would they be better with fox. i would like some of your guys opinions on what good combo to run who have riding different setups. this is mx app. thanks guys

florentino
06-14-2011, 07:47 AM
the houser a arms are not 50 inches wide. rigth??

i just change from epic a arms and axis shocks to the stock mx

set up and i am verry happy with it. i was faster then before.

i just bolted the suspencion with not even tuning it and it works great.

fox are great shocks it you want to fine tune all the time.

jlrenken
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
housers that i have are 50

dustin_j
06-15-2011, 07:01 AM
In what ways does your buddy's stock bike work better?

jlrenken
06-15-2011, 08:58 AM
with my fox i feel like i get more roll. and on his stock one it feels like it takes the corner for ya. sits nice and flat.

dustin_j
06-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by jlrenken
with my fox i feel like i get more roll. and on his stock one it feels like it takes the corner for ya. sits nice and flat.

That's what I figured. Most Fox floats I've seen have a ton of body roll due to lack of spring rate crossover adjustment. Some have claimed they tuned it out with the comp adjusters, but I see this as a disadvantage of the floats. I'd keep the Housers and get a set of multi rate spring shocks, or keep tuning with your floats.

florentino
06-17-2011, 12:17 AM
did you have the same caster on both bikes??

on the mx a amrs doing the caster is really easy with the

whashers. theres even a chart.

on other aftermarket a arms you have to play with the caster alot more.

525outlawrider
06-18-2011, 08:21 PM
We had the "body roll " issue as well .
we spent hundreds of dollars trying to stop the body roll in the turns ......... we finally cured the problem .. NEW PEP's

blaster99
06-18-2011, 08:28 PM
New Elka stage 5 shocks fixed my body roll issue too!! :cool:

525outlawrider
06-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey blaster , i am CANAMRACERDAD
cant speak for elka

blaster99
06-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I figured that was you haha. Yeah I love my Elkas for sure. In my opinion a spring shock is better, but that's just personal preference. I know some guys have those fox dialed in sweet, but I rode one set and they just weren't for me.

525outlawrider
06-18-2011, 08:58 PM
had them "customized" 3 times .... they are pretty good , but change the pressure 5 lbs and they go to "$?it"
too many adjustments to go from track to track , impossible to say "for this track and 90 degrees, w/ 85% humidity ???? psi will work and 12 clicks out on high speed 18 clicks out on low speed , then 15 clicks on rebound"...... yeah MAYBE that will work !
the guys from fox just "guess" as well ....
I have never seen a chart
My excell spreadsheet looks like i tossed a coin to come up with the settings for this track in this weather
I believe that they can be tuned for A track but it takes us about 3-4 runs to dial it in ,
our main track changes every month
The PEP's are dead on every day

blaster99
06-18-2011, 09:03 PM
yeah I hear ya. So much less adjusting and they work better haha

ml450r
06-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Renken, the reason the bike cornered difference is shock set up...the stock arms aren't better or worse. I have one bike with stock mx arms and the other has Walsh. The stock arms feel more stable, but it is because I have more positive caster on that bike than the walsh bike. The stock arms are very good a arms.

I have rode on pep since 2004. I don't think they can be beat. Like 525 said, dead on everytime.

That being said I built this ds this year with fox shocks due to sponsors. I got to Aonia and had a terrible time trying to get the roll out and get the rear dialed in. Ended up going from a dual rate rear to a single rate. Any how by the last moto of the weekend I had them dialed in. I haven't put the air gauge on them since. All I have done is change the clickers here and there. Everyone told me I would have to check the air all the time. I never wanted fox shocks because every bike I have ever rode with fox shocks had too much roll. I have my bike cornering like it did on the PEPs and working better on the rough stuff. Like I said I haven't touch them since Aonia pass(round one of the nationals). I rode Millville last round with out even touching the shocks from fridays first practice. Once they are dialed in they work like my PEPs.

My understanding is the air in the two chambers is like the springs and crossovers on a PEP shock, I don't change my springs or crossovers once they are where I want them.

ml450r
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Also I have my 2012 race bike done. It is a 2011 ds450mx, with very few mods. I believe I have built the best amatuer ds450 bike for the money. I can win national races(open A, +25 and +30 are the classes I run) on this bike and have less than 10k in it. It is the same engine setup I ran at millville.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WxNrCYUTgk

after the first turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQS5tWhRnkU&feature=related

If you're interested in the ds450 feel free to ask me any questions. I will be at Ohio this weekend, Redbud and Loretta's.
Merrill Crose

dustin_j
06-29-2011, 06:50 AM
ml450R, what adjustments were successful in eliminating the body roll? Did evol pressure changes help much, or was it mainly compression clicker adjustments?

ml450r
06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I set my main pressure for ride height, then went over 200 on my evol until roll was gone, the bike would just two wheel before it rolled in the corners. Then I came down on the air and adjusted the clickers at that point(with them centered as a starting point).

Mainly the evol pressure, I was told that evol chamber is similar to crossovers on a spring shock.

blaster99
06-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey Merrill, is that 10k just mods done to the bike?

ml450r
06-30-2011, 12:47 PM
no,lol....that is total including new bike.

ml450r
06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
ds450mx
fox shocks(opt, stock shocks work very well--ask Travis Spader..lol)
bcs radiator mod $200
BRP harness $240
Milled head $30
exhaust cam on intake side $150
green injector $90
air intake ring and filter $105
motoworks sr4 full pipe $400
Tether kill switch $30
Clutch basket $250

I have less than 8k in my bike and shocks due to sponsors. Other mods are less than $2000.

I also added handlebars, clutch lever, hand guards, sticker kit, Hoosier tires and a skid plate to mine.

blaster99
06-30-2011, 01:32 PM
:eek2: Sounds good to me!! I'm on my own next year so I'm looking to build a can-am for as cheap as possible on a broke college student's budget... lol. It looks like my bike for next year might be very similar to yours! haha

sexysilverado45
07-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Might wanna look into motowoz. They are the same shock even a bit better than peps for a lot less. Give Jim a call and see what kind of deal he can give you. He's an awesome guy to work with.