PDA

View Full Version : upgrades

hellshot00
06-13-2011, 09:26 PM
So i have the upgrades done as listed in my signature but i want more power what do you advise i do? I was gonna buy a powerbomb header to go with the slippon but i hadnt seen any good reviews on them so what would be a good investment for idk $200?

trailrider894
06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by hellshot00
So i have the upgrades done as listed in my signature but i want more power what do you advise i do? I was gonna buy a powerbomb header to go with the slippon but i hadnt seen any good reviews on them so what would be a good investment for idk $200?

Screw the Header... i have one and it didn't do a dang thing. Do a search on grinding the stock header welds, and get a sparks +6 key. Any companies claiming to have a CDI box that adds power is B.S.ing you...

hellshot00
06-13-2011, 09:36 PM
ya the rev box was a waste of money i will admit that and im loving the idea of the sparks key but i fear i do not have the proper tools for the job

trailrider894
06-13-2011, 09:39 PM
ya the rev box was a waste of money i will admit that and im loving the idea of the sparks key but i fear i do not have the proper tools for the job

You won't need anything except a 8mm socket if i remember correctly...lol What all do you have?? It really doesn't much to do the job...

hellshot00
06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
i was reading the sticky on it and i have basic tools i do have a socket set and adjustable wrenches but no very big and i do not own a torque wrench

hocman123
06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
torque wrench is about the only special tool u need other then a 30 mm socket to use the flywheel puller. i just did the key this weekend for the first time and it only take about a hour to do it. vary easy install

hellshot00
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
the torque wrench is a necessity then i take it?

hocman123
06-13-2011, 09:51 PM
yep if u read a few pages into the right up someone post pics of what happened after he didn't torque the flywheel onto the crank good and he shattered the key into pices

trailrider894
06-13-2011, 09:51 PM
the torque wrench is a necessity then i take it?

YES!!! You will need one, but i suggest you invest in one now, because it will keep coming up everytime you need to change something... Might as well buy it now. GET A GOOD ONE!! Snap-On is the only way to go....

hellshot00
06-13-2011, 09:52 PM
hmm i do really want the timing key guess i just need to find someone who can lend me a 30mm socket and a torque wrench

hocman123
06-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
YES!!! You will need one, but i suggest you invest in one now, because it will keep coming up everytime you need to change something... Might as well buy it now. GET A GOOD ONE!! Snap-On is the only way to go....

snap on are vary good but cost a lot of money. if u are on a budget u can use other ones. i have a craftsman that never failed me for years and they just had a nice sale last weekend. now i do have a nice mac wrench that i got for free :)

hellshot00
06-13-2011, 10:05 PM
haha i will see what my budget contains but i seen threads that the key is definetly worth it but im curious about it. people say it adds throttle response but from what ive seen sparks says it should add some bottom and mid end as well does it significantly make a difference?

hocman123
06-13-2011, 10:13 PM
well it is a little hard to tell what happened b/c i also added a stage 2 hot cam and some 450 r shocks at the same time but it was one hell of a deferance

CJM
06-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Yep, adds some good throttle response to a otherwise mostly stock engine.

I got an old craftsman torque wrench that hasnt failed me yet, you can buy one or do a borrow from a place like autozone too.

riotact
06-14-2011, 10:58 AM
For $200 I would get a 04-05 450r carb.For the money you would pay for the header,you can do that and the timing key and have more of a gain then just the header.

tri5ron
06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by riotact
For $200 I would get a 04-05 450r carb.For the money you would pay for the header,you can do that and the timing key and have more of a gain then just the header. http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Emoticons%20and%20funny%20pics/yeahthat.gif

Harbor Freight sells long breaker bars, adjustable wrenches, and sockets for very cheap.

To be honest, I even have one of their adjustable "Clicker" type Torque Wrenches. I have over 25 years experience in aircraft repair, and therefore had access to a Tool Calibrations Lab.
I took the HF torque wrench in, to see how close it was, and if it needed to be calibrated at all.
To our surprise, it was Dead On ! and needed No Adjustment or Calibration What So Ever !
Maybe that was just lucky, who knows,... but I'd do it again if I could verify it again.
Craftsmans are plenty fine, and certainly a better choice than the HF. They often come on sale, and with Fathers Day just around the corner, I'd bet there are some good sales on them right now. (sears always has decent tool sales around Fathers Day).
Yes,.... you can get loaner Torque wrenches for free, from most of your major auto parts stores. But to be honest, I'd shy away from those due to you don't know who has tried using them as a breaker bar, sledge hammer, or baseball bat !
I'd get a HF torque wrench, over a loaner, any day of the week,... but a Craftsman would be the better choice.

Yes, you should own a torque wrench.
Actually you should own TWO.
One in the standard Ft. Lbs. increments,.... and the second in the lower Inch Lbs. increments.

For the home mechanic,
there is no need to go all the way up to a Snap-on, or Mac. That would just be wasted money.
For a Professional Mechanic,...
who uses it many times a week,....
Then it is justifiable.

my .02 cents

hellshot00
06-14-2011, 10:06 PM
thanks for the responses guys! and yeah i definetly am going to invest into a torque wrench and really do want to do both the carb and the key been looking into both of them a lot but i also have a small question what would a stage 1 hot cam do? motosport is selling for i do believe 170 ( i dont feel like looking again)

CJM
06-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Stage 1 would be good for keeping stock compression. You ever plan to go up in compression do a stage 2.

hellshot00
06-14-2011, 10:19 PM
i dont plan on going to a higher compression unless i blow it up but would a stage 1 cam make a significant difference?

tri5ron
06-14-2011, 10:20 PM
stage 1 HC is good for a stock compression engine, and up to a 10:1 compression, for mainly more bottom end to mid range torque... and you can still run the +6 key. Add a '04-'05 450r carb to that, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the gains, as well as you will STILL have a basically Bullet-Proof, Highly Reliable, machine with no overheating issues.

Stage 2 HC best comes into play, at and above, 11:1 compression, and will give mid to upper end gains.
At 11:1, you will already have increased lower end torque, so there is nothing to worry about there.
You WILL need to get rid of the +6 key at 11:1 compression, due to you won't really need it any more, and you won't want to be dealing with the added heat it can cause.
You SHOULD install the GTT HD studs if you are going to go with 11:1, as well as you will need to start thinking about upgrading your cooling system with a spal fan, and/or a larger oil tank.

hope this helps

hellshot00
06-14-2011, 10:22 PM
well i now know what all my money is going to go into thanks for the input!

tri5ron
06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
well i now know what all my money is going to go into thanks for the input!
the FIRST thing you should upgrade, is the front shocks.
then do all the power stuff after that.

hellshot00
06-14-2011, 10:31 PM
im going to put on a pair of 450r shocks as soon as i can get a hold of a pair but with the hotcam would it requre re jetting too?