PDA

View Full Version : detroit diesel 2stroke

hartwill
06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I just saw a dodge truck with a 4-53T 2 stroke Detroit diesel. Why is it they can't make a small version of this for a quad or dirtbike and with gasoline instead of diesel to satisfy the tree huggers. I use to work for an excavation company that had these motors in some of the scrapers. I know you don't have to mix your fuel, Anybody know how they work, or why a smaller version wouldn't work for our application?
I know its off topic but its still 2 stroke related..:D

nathan89
06-14-2011, 01:39 AM
the main reason would be cost/size. a 2 stroke diesel must be supercharged. and they wouldn't have a very good power band for a motorcycle application. do a google search for how a 2 stroke diesel works, they are pretty interesting.

jcs003
06-14-2011, 01:51 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=436463&highlight=stroke+diesel

C-LEIGH RACING
06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Those ol Detroits are a thing of the past, not made any more.
Were a whole lot of problems with them & using oil was the biggest complaint of owners. Anybody could work on a Detroit though, simple as pie.

In big trucks, the drivers complaint was low power & only way to get more out of them was replace injectors to a larger size spray.
Other engine like Cat, Cummins or Mack, just a mater of turning the injector pump up.
Another driver complaint was the day in & day out whine of the blower & bellering exhaust in your ears.
About 6 months of man handling that gear stick up & down hills along with all that noise & ruff highways, a driver was ready to give up their CDL permit just to get away from them.

Now big truck racing, that ol V8 Detroit was the ticket, cause you could crank her up to around 5500 maybe 6500 rpm if you had the valve train right.
Most Detroit truck engines normally turned around 2500 to 2800 rpm max & if you ever listened to one run, just guess what the 5500 sounded like.
Neil

rooster300ex
06-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Interesting stuff to me.