PDA

View Full Version : Future Projects in the making...

stever250r
06-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Figured I would post a few pictures of what I have collected for my upcoming Laeger build... My girlfriend decided she wanted to get involved and do her own so we picked her up the 88 this past weekend.. It isnt't very pretty at the moment, but it gives her a great start and most everything but the engine seems to be in working order. The Laeger will be a full blown aftermarket MX bike. My girlfriend wants to go back as close to stock as she can with the 88.. I'll get an official build thread posted up in a few weeks... Just sharing some pictures for now...

.http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Honda%20250R/IMG_20110607_085906.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Honda%20250R/IMG_20110612_193302.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Honda%20250R/IMG_20110612_194104.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Honda%20250R/IMG_20110612_194050.jpg

SilverLake250R
06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Looks Nice! What are your plans for shocks and the motor?

wilkin250r
06-13-2011, 03:27 PM
You're girlfriend is gonna want some bling and shine, so when you're ready to get rid of those dull factory plastics, you give me a call. :devil:

06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm glad my Laeger frame is going to a good owner! :)

stever250r
06-13-2011, 05:08 PM
My current plans for the Laeger is to just pick up that Stage 2 Race Combo from ESR with a 310 PV and send it to Neil for Porting. The shocks are still a ways out, but I am entertaining the thought of Motowoz.. I have been in contact with Jim about some custom powder work on a set of LT fronts and standard link rear.

wilkin250r,
The OEM plastic on that 88 really has some life left. I dont believe she will want to part with it, but if she does, I will be sure to let you know..

Tim,
I know its passed hands a few times, but I promise to do your old frame justice and give it a fresh new look with some bling bling... I hope you will be okay with Orange Powder... I've been trying to Prep everything this last week... As soon as I get everything powdered up I'll start the build thread and get some pictures going...

06-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by stever250r
My current plans for the Laeger is to just pick up that Stage 2 Race Combo from ESR with a 310 PV and send it to Neil for Porting. The shocks are still a ways out, but I am entertaining the thought of Motowoz.. I have been in contact with Jim about some custom powder work on a set of LT fronts and standard link rear.

wilkin250r,
The OEM plastic on that 88 really has some life left. I dont believe she will want to part with it, but if she does, I will be sure to let you know..

Tim,
I know its passed hands a few times, but I promise to do your old frame justice and give it a fresh new look with some bling bling... I hope you will be okay with Orange Powder... I've been trying to Prep everything this last week... As soon as I get everything powdered up I'll start the build thread and get some pictures going...

Should look great, Steve! I'm just glad it went to a loving home! :D

troybilt
06-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Looks great Steve, get that build thread up an running!!! haha... :p

norcalduner
06-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Looks like its gonna look as sweet as your older bike. What are you planning on for wheels and plastics?

jcs003
06-14-2011, 01:56 AM
thanks for the teaser. build threads are always nice to look forward to.

danhung11
06-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Dang Steve, looks like you are turning into a hoarder! :p I really have no room to talk! Let me know if I can help you out any.

Looking forward to your build(S)! Remember that laeger-in-Kentucky proposed to his wife on a R!?!? :D

stever250r
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Lets see.. I did make a list of the " I WANTS" for my Laeger build, but we all know how things change, opportunities arise, etc. ..

Right now I am really wanting those 3 piece OMF wheels, and White Fullbores.... Guess we will see as it gets closer...

Proposing on the R might be an option.... It seems fitting since Im almost certain building my last bike had a direct affect on my still Pending Divorce.. .LOL.....

Funny how things change... My soon to be EX, hated me for every dollar I spent on my last bike even though she hardly worked a day for the 15 years we were married...... My current girlfriend not only helped push me to do another, but she wanted one of her own and gladly offers over some of her check to buy parts... WHOO HOO..... :D

Higgy87TRX425
06-17-2011, 11:45 PM
I was just looking at your Laeger frame and I saw that yours has the 3 holes in the front brace between the shocks. I haven't seen too many Laeger frames with 3 holes aside from my own frame, yours and maybe a few others! Is this rare? It seems like they normally only have 2 holes in the front brace between the shocks. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? Oh and from the sound of your last post Steve I think the new girlfriend is a keeper!! lol!

danhung11
06-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Three holes are typically wide fronts, mine is a wide front, as well. ;)

Higgy87TRX425
06-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Mine is a narrow frontend though?? I'm pretty sure it is, the bottom tubes only have about 1 inch gap between them. I could be wrong though? I'll have to look alittle closer!

danhung11
06-18-2011, 05:17 AM
That's odd. My wide frame has ~2.5" gap between the front frame rails. It's a 2001 model CR500 rear. Did Mark pull throw another mystery into these frames? :ermm:

We need to start a Laeger thread with all the various models, designs, etc. It would be nice to see them all...:cool:

BTW Steve, you better not let this catch get away. She seems like a keeper to me! :p

leager-n-ky
06-18-2011, 09:59 AM
KEEPHER.......X 3 ...

Higgy87TRX425
06-18-2011, 10:53 PM
So I got to lookin at my Laeger frame a little closer today, and sure enough its definately a narrow frontend. I was kinda a puzzled when I first got this frame. Now that I think back on it I just remembered that when I was looking into buying it I saw these 3 holes and got suspcious so I called Laeger and I was told that they made the frames both ways! He couldn't give me a better idea of the year of the frame though. Thats what I was hoping for because it doesn't have any tags on it at all! And no title I got it pretty cheap though! I got the Laeger frame a Lonestar swingarm and Axle for $900. BUT and this is a big one! It needs a new subframe, the swinger was cracked badly and the axle was bent!!!!! So I got the axle straightened by Lonestar, I bought a Laeger swinger and now I'm gonna buy one of those fliptop Laeger subframes that Mark is making again. If he still has any???

danhung11
06-19-2011, 03:41 AM
Fliptops are pointless on a R, it's basically added weight for a cool factor. I'm not sure, last time I talked to Mark he sold the last two.

Did you talk to Mark or Scott? I've learned that Scott really doesn't know much about the stuff Mark built.

leager-n-ky
06-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Did you talk to Mark or Scott? I've learned that Scott really doesn't know much about the stuff Mark built. [/B][/QUOTE]

...X 2 !!!!!

Higgy87TRX425
06-19-2011, 10:54 AM
I was doing some research last night and I think that the frame that I bought was a JP Outlaw, not a Laeger. I can tell because of the vertical bar in the front check the pics.. Its forsale, if I can't work something out with the guy! Its been about 8 months since I bought it though so he's not gonna be to happy to talk to me!! Its got a crack by the pegs and the subframe has been welded on. So I think that I'm gonna be taken a loss on this deal??

Higgy87TRX425
06-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
Did you talk to Mark or Scott? I've learned that Scott really doesn't know much about the stuff Mark built.

I'm not sure who I spoke with about the frames? I really wanted to buy a fliptop for the bike, just for the cool factor, and because I didn't like the rewelds on the subframe. The subframe is fine for someone not as picky as me?? But I like my bikes in perfect shape if I'm gonna do a full resto, otherwise its not worth the time and money!!!

danhung11
06-19-2011, 11:07 AM
You'd know if it was Mark vs. Scott as Scott has no technical knowledge. He was a computer guy before, and in my opinion has no business in the ATV industry. I'm not sure a Laeger flip top will fit on a JP frame, might check with LSR.

Higgy87TRX425
06-19-2011, 11:29 AM
If it turely is a JP Outlaw chassis, then I don't even want it! I'll end up selling it!! I think it was Mark that I spoke with because he seemed to know alot about the frames!! It was monts ago though, when I was looking into buying this frame!

hontrx265r
06-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure if that is even a jp. It's not a laegers, I'd say flp or hre if its a narrow frame. I don't think jp ever made any narrows

89trx250r
06-19-2011, 01:57 PM
yeah i was thinking along the same lines of did jp even make a narrow frame and from that picture you can see for sure it is a narrow front...

matt250r21
06-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I read in Dirt Wheels a long time ago that Mark Laeger worked at JP Racing and welded their frames before starting his own shop. I'm sure I can find the article and post it if you guys want.

danhung11
06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
I read in Dirt Wheels a long time ago that Mark Laeger worked at JP Racing and welded their frames before starting his own shop. I'm sure I can find the article and post it if you guys want.

I'd like to see that, but I don't think they allow scanned articles on this site. You can post on .net though...

Thanks in advance Matt!

Higgy87TRX425
06-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Whats and FLP frame? And I've heard of Hre , but I don't know much about them? Any info I could get on this frame would be great! I'd like to know what I'm dealing with and see if its worth rebuilding or not?

Higgy87TRX425
06-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Well I did some more research and heres what I've found out. The FLP or frontline performance frame, has FLP cutout of the cross member between the shocks. And they're built differently as well. So far the frame this most closely resembles is the JP I was checking it out on the other Trx 250r site. Some guy acsoss the pond (Europe) had one and it looks just like mine frame. So I'm pretty sure its a JP now. I still haven't rulled out the HRE yet. I haven't came across any good photos yet so well see. I need to do more research.

C41Xracer
06-20-2011, 06:49 AM
yep its not a FLP frame, i have one

stever250r
06-20-2011, 07:31 PM
This is my first Laeger Frame, so I am glad that others are pointing out the differences... I honestly dont have a clue.... I know Joe, (Croat 1 ) looked up the number on the Laeger VIN plate and told me what year the frame was, but I dont even recall that....

I did get everything loaded up and over to the powder coater today. I am more than a little nervous about how things will turn out...

1... A new coater that I have never used, or know anyone else who has used him.....

2...My decision to try and have a few parts FADED, as well as my color choices

There is no turning back now... I will have to make it work whether I like it or not when I go to pick it up...

The coater told me he would need at least three weeks to get the colors I picked ordered, and to get everything done... I'll start the build when I get everything back..

In the meantime, I am going to help my girlfirend start tearing down the 88 to clean, inspect, paint.....

leager-n-ky
06-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Hey Steve, Your PM box is full.

danhung11
06-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Can't wait to see this Steve! That three week time frame makes my 4 day turnaround that much sweeter! :p

stever250r
06-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
Hey Steve, Your PM box is full.

My PM box hasnt worked in years..... All folders have been emptied but it still does not work.. I have emailed the site admin. about this several times with no response....

Hit my email at sroarksr@gmail.com....

Thanks Dan..... I cant wait to see how the colors look after powder either..My fingers are crossed....... I wish I could have gotten a 4 day turnaround.....The coater I found seems to be doing alot of steel fencing...gates. etc......Seems the Horse Farmers and gated communities in my area have him buried up..

frontline perfr
11-26-2011, 07:14 AM
It's not a flp frontline frame. I build them. I'd say 99% sure it's a jp frame. And I belive that jp wAs the beginings of rpm way back in day I had one years ago as my first tt bike. Great frame nothing wrong with them. Very close to early lonestar frames. Mike

Higgy87TRX425
11-26-2011, 04:32 PM
frontline guy, Hey buddy thanks for chimming in on this. I had it pretty well figured out that it was a JP framre already because it looks exactly li;kre and hasd the same features of other JP chassises that I've seen lately. Much appreciaed though bud!!!
Thanks Higgy!

hawaiiysr
11-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Does this help? Looks like a JP to me.
http://www.trx250r.net/forum/sale/10661-91-jp-outlaw-chassis-new-powder-great-shape.html

Higgy87TRX425
11-27-2011, 01:58 AM
That frame looked real similar except mine doesn't have any of the stamped JP info on the crossbar as a matter a fact it doesn't say anything at all on it. Also the bracing benind the rear shock that help support the top part of the rear shock look much differnt, however everthing else seems to be spot on. Thats why my best guess after doing all this reasearch and talking to guys like you makes me think that its probably an early model JP. Anyway thanks for the interest. I'm probably gonna do the same thing that YZF wanted to do and stretch it out turing it into a drag frame with a Saber motor all built!! AWE YEAH, Serious HP Baby!!
Thanks Higgy!