PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Cell Phones

CJM
06-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Why is it you can only buy a smart phone now? I want a simple cell that can text with a keyboard and isnt a touch screen-they dont make anymore it seems if you have verizon. I had wanted the samsung alias but seems they stopped carrying it 3 months ago :(

Tried ebay but new is 200 bucks and used everything is beat to hell.

Anyone used the samsung convoy-seems ok I guess since at least its a bit rugged. Right now I still have my super old verizon motorola whatever it is that wont die, served me well but it cant text worth a poo.

Whats a good phone model that has some kinda keyboard to text, is decently rugged and isnt a smart phone or touch screen if you have verizon? Or am I screwed?

pmg8134
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
convoy is a beast, it is kinda huge.. lasted a year and a half with me..... they usually last 6-8 months. didn`t survive the front flip I did over the handlebars a couple of weekends ago though. I`m shoppin now too

CJM
06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Yea, convoy did kinda look huge.

Im just so annoyed they pretty much all went to smart phones, one of those wouldnt last me a week lol.

Scro
06-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Whatever you do, do not get the Samsung Haven. I needed a phone without a camera, and this was just about my only free choice. The processor is extremely slow. When you hit a button, it takes a second or two to do anything. So, you have to type in the phone number really slow or it will skip a number. Absolute junk.

CJM
06-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Yea I read about that haven thing.

My buddy has the alias 2 which is what Im looking at, he musta just got it before they stopped carrying it. He has had zero issues as well.

Really, if you saw what I have now you would laugh-its (just looked it up) a motorola wx385 verizon phone. about all it can do is text (barely), make calls and take horrible pics. I do like it b/c its rugged and all rubberized, never failed me and the leather case I got kept it good for 4 years now-its just time to move on.

I did find some new alias 2's online, but they arent free like my upgrade woulda been :(

HondaRacing83
06-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I personally have AT&T and I have the LG XENON, phenomanol phone for me. My dad has an iphone and my mom has a blackberry. for veriozn look into the lg cosmos

426kidz
06-13-2011, 02:15 PM
get the att or vorizon rugby...there known to be unbreakable hahah i ahve had mine for 3 years still strong as hell!!!

kt1148
06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I recently upgraded from the Voyager to the Octane(similar to the old env3). No touch screen and has a qwerty keyboard. Only one drawback, the volume level not that high.

TheLane
06-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
I personally have AT&T and I have the LG XENON, phenomanol phone for me. My dad has an iphone and my mom has a blackberry. for veriozn look into the lg cosmos

he said no touch screen.

kt1148
06-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
he said no touch screen. Verizon makes a Cosmos and a Cosmos Touch, just to clarify.:)

CJM
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
They dont carry the rugby by me (called and checked online) and the cosmos looks ok, but Ill probably destroy it b/c its all exposed and stuff.

The reason I liked the alias phone was it had the keyboard and was a flip phone. Thereby there is no way I can damage much except for the outer screen.

Trust me Im hard on my phones, I had a nextel construction grade one some years ago and the guy had said it was covered 100% period. Well apparently running it over with a track loader doesnt count lol.

Im sure Ill find something sooner or later, Im limited to verizon phones tho-got a contract that wont be up for some time and they have the best coverage round here.

ngates788
06-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I have had both the alias and alias 2. The only thing I hate about the alias 2 is the power button is on the outside and I'm constantly shutting my phone off without realizing it. Other than that both were great phones. I'm not a big fan of the smart phones either.

CJM
06-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Good to know about that ngates, I had read a bit about they having issues flipping from qwerty to numbers and such since the keypad changes-no issues there?

HondaRacing83
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
my best friend had the cosmos. the non touch screen one. it was unbreakable. put a case on it or something. hes throw it at walls, dropped it on concrete, been ran over, and he jumped in a lake with it in his pocket. he put it in rice for a month and it worked like new. out of all that, the only malfunction was when you hit the k button p would come up with it and you had to go back and delete it. pretty good phone. now my other friend has the lg cosmos touch and its a piece. he dropped it on concrete and the screen wouldnt turn on for a week and it cracked.

ngates788
06-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Good to know about that ngates, I had read a bit about they having issues flipping from qwerty to numbers and such since the keypad changes-no issues there?

That's another thing I don't like about the alias 2. With the alias all you had to do was just press a key longer to get additional characters. With the alias 2 you have to press a button to bring up a new selection of characters and its 3 times in total to bring you back to the letters. It gets annoying at times but you get used to it after a while.

CJM
06-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by ngates788
That's another thing I don't like about the alias 2. With the alias all you had to do was just press a key longer to get additional characters. With the alias 2 you have to press a button to bring up a new selection of characters and its 3 times in total to bring you back to the letters. It gets annoying at times but you get used to it after a while.

It cant be any worse than this (current phone): http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/32509529-2-440-OVR-1.gif

ngates788
06-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by CJM
It cant be any worse than this (current phone): http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/32509529-2-440-OVR-1.gif

I would take the alias over that anyday!!

Scro
06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
My phone has extra large buttons for the visually impaired, a dedicated "In case of emergency" button, dedicated 911 button, and place to store medical info to remind you to take your medicine.

Yes....it can get worse.:p

CJM
06-14-2011, 11:50 AM
lol Scro.. Yea thats pretty bad.

ngates: What kept me with that thing for so long is it just wont die. Has a nice extended battery, bluetooth, decent texting and the call reception is excellent.

slightlybent47
06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I have an old verizon LG flip phone that I’ve had for maybe 7-8 years. It has HD camera and it’s blue tooth ready.
I only care that it makes and receives phone calls, that’s it.

I disabled the text so I’m not charged for incoming text. The phone company’s have been double dipping for years with the text thing. They charge you to send and they also charge you to receive. That’s double dipping!

I don’t want or need all the fancy bells and whistles that seem to come with all cell phones.

They put all the stuff in there hopping you will use it so they can make more money.

I have never texted, or taken a photo, or used any app that comes with a cell phone.

Then there the privacy issue with the new phones. Too easy to hack and it’s too easy for someone to track you.

No thanks I’ll keep my old flip phone.

They also are changing from 3g too 4g so the older phones will not work in the future.
They are going to force everyone too carry a tracking phone in the future.

SRH
06-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I have an old verizon LG flip phone that I’ve had for maybe 7-8 years. It has HD camera and it’s blue tooth ready.
I only care that it makes and receives phone calls, that’s it.

I disabled the text so I’m not charged for incoming text. The phone company’s have been double dipping for years with the text thing. They charge you to send and they also charge you to receive. That’s double dipping!

I don’t want or need all the fancy bells and whistles that seem to come with all cell phones.

They put all the stuff in there hopping you will use it so they can make more money.

I have never texted, or taken a photo, or used any app that comes with a cell phone.

Then there the privacy issue with the new phones. Too easy to hack and it’s too easy for someone to track you.

No thanks I’ll keep my old flip phone.

They also are changing from 3g too 4g so the older phones will not work in the future.
They are going to force everyone too carry a tracking phone in the future.

well if you want to get technical you dont need indoor plumbing and there is chips in the tires of most cars they could track you by

i use my phone constantly for my business, very handy tool (smartphone) several apps for ebay, pay pal etc i use regularly

slightlybent47
06-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by SRH
well if you want to get technical you dont need indoor plumbing and there is chips in the tires of most cars they could track you by

i use my phone constantly for my business, very handy tool (smartphone) several apps for ebay, pay pal etc i use regularly

You don’t need to be sarcastic! And it still dosn't mean it aint happinin!

trx310R#24
06-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by CJM

looks like my work phone... i have not had a prob with it then again only had it for a month... hahah my iphone has been through hell and back and still works though :p

CJM
06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Im pretty much the same way slightlybent is but all my friends text and refuse to just call me. My plan covers the text, but my phone takes FOREVER to text with and they refuse 90% of the time to return my calls-cause they are at work or church when texting me. Plus, it is sometimes easier to text imho than make the call too. I dont want internet, aim, music, videos, etc on my phone. Just talk and text

Also the oldest vehicle I own was made in 1996-no tracking fer me like that onstar bs.

Ruby Soho
06-14-2011, 09:00 PM
i used to have a simple flip phone and was against all the smart phone stuff.. figured id destroy one within a week..

i caved in a got a droid, i actually like it.. ive had it for 5 months now and not a problem. yeah i don't need all the bells and whistles it has, but i dont need much anything i own, but why not right lol

Kickstarts-suck
06-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i used to have a simple flip phone and was against all the smart phone stuff.. figured id destroy one within a week..

i caved in a got a droid, i actually like it.. ive had it for 5 months now and not a problem. yeah i don't need all the bells and whistles it has, but i dont need much anything i own, but why not right lol

Exactly the same as me.

I was also anti touch screen cause of my last 2 touch screen phones always screwing up but I love my droid.

CJM
06-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Im not paying an extra 30 bucks a month for a data plan, dont want a touch screen and most of all HATE the fact the smart phones are huge. If I wanted a computer ill buy one, but not in a phone lol.

Im gonna buy the alias 2 if I can find a good deal online.

OldGuyonaQuad
06-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you would like the nextel phones CJM, problem is Nextel's netwrok would render your non smart phone as useful as a quad in the state on NJ ;)

They have a couple of heavy duty non smart phones that have a kb but their network is thee worst in the industry. gl buddy

ridered11
06-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Verizon carries Casio's Gzone line. Best phone I've ever had. A smart phone would never work for me, I'm way too hard on a phone. I have the Casio Rock right now which is the 3rd generation of their rugged flip phone. The thing is a beast, its water proof and makes calls/sends text messages which is all I will ever need.

CJM
06-15-2011, 08:27 PM
OldGuy: I had one of those back in the day, was ok b/c the network sucked and till I ran it over with a track loader lol.

ridered, tried the casio rock one, not sure wtf is up with it but when I tried a buddies I gave it back after 10 mins, the sound reception sucked. It sounds like your talking in a windtunnel. The rock one they dont seem to offer I guess-its not on the website.

ridered11
06-16-2011, 12:23 AM
http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2c/store/controller?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewAllPhones&deviceType=Phones&topRated=true (http://)

Theres a link to their product line up right now. The Ravine is just the newer version of the Rock.